Good Old Games - EA Games Added - Including Ultima Underworld 1/2

So, you can win - and EA is a sweet grandma-like company.

This implies that everything might be black or white to you - just take a look at the shades of grey ... ;)

DArtagnan, I think you're becoming too emotionally invested in all this. :)

I'm certainly becoming OCD about replying and starting pointless debates :)

I should probably get into meditation or something...

What?

Flight Unlimited and Terra Nova were both great games. Why are you talking about RPGs and spiritual succession?

Because going by your logic once that LG was free of the terrible shackles of EA they would have cranked out one System Shock and/or UU after another. But that's not what they did at all. They made a flight sim, a golf game, and an action game.

I'm talking about EA - not Eidos. You don't see the obviousness of the truth here. They moved away from EA - because they were fed up with the limited control, creatively

Yep. Evil EA forced them to creatively limit themselves to making System Shock and UU (you know, the games that were actually made by LG under EA/Origin). - So finally when LG was free of all that horrible publisher pressure they shifted their creativity into full gear by -again- making a flight sim, a golf game and an action game. Can you say "LOL"? I can :biggrin: .

Look, what I was trying to say is that LG strangely seems to be the kind of company that works much better under publisher pressure (if there was such a thing) because all of their games that are considered as classics were made when they were supported (yes, s-u-p-p-o-r-t-e-d) by a publisher. The only three games of them that hardly anyone remembers were made when they self-published.
That's why the argument that their creative potential was limited by EA (or publisher relations in general) is somewhat doubtful.

They didn't go self-publishing as some kind of creative ascension to godhood, but because they wanted more creative control - as per their own words. Check out some of the old interviews for this - as my memory is fuzzy on the details.

Again: Awesome creative control there. Of a flight sim, a golf game and an action game, of which two were decent (nowhere near greatness though) and one complete crap (the golf game).

Do you honestly expect me to take you seriously?

It'd be reeeeaaaallly sweet of you if you would, yes :biggrin: .

LG is not the whole story though, it's just one more developer affected by EA and their ways.

Again: How was LG negatively affected by EA? If what you believe is true that EA kicked them out then EA actually positively affected LG because LG were finally able to do what they wanted as an independent developer and publisher (with enough funds to do three games). How cool is/was that? It doesn't get better than this. You should thank EA every day for liberating LG, not hate them.
Can't you see the contradiction in your reasoning for hating EA for what they (supposedly) did to LG?

Do you know the history of EA and Origin - including what happened to Ultima and why?

Yeah. Garriott sold out to EA and then he went 'kthx for the moolah but if you think that you are calling the shots now you're wrong cuz I am Lord British and not so easily dethroned by you yanks'. And thus the pissing contests began and in the end EA "won" by shutting Garriott down which was the sacrifice they needed to make to end the constant bickering.
I never said that EA are angels. But to say that they screwed around with LG seems a little far-fetched when in reality LG produced at least two of their cult classics (SS and UU) under EA/Origin. Sure, EA screwed around with Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood and so on (though in my opinion the companies selling out to EA bear a major share of the blame themselves) but not with LG. LG was before EA got screwy.

Back
Top Bottom