X³: Terran Conflict

Oh my, why didn't anyone tell me this thread has evolved into a space sim recommendation thread. Reading all this makes me yearn for playing one of those again.

I'm with the crowd regarding Freelancer, I loved it! It's also Co-Op friendly, although sadly you can't play the story with friends, if I recall correctly. Mouse movement was unusual, but very intuitive after a while and actually my preferred input method nowadays. My favorite memories are from those forsaken systems that are bathed in radiation. Eerie.

Looking forward to reading reviews and opinions of the other titles mentioned. Haven't decided yet what I like. Not too much strategy I suppose. Freelancer 2 would be perfect, but.. oh well.

Well I've finally given up trying to find a copy of Freelancer in a retail store. I've checked pretty much every store in 3 different cities now. I guess I waited a little too long to become interested in the game. No problem, Amazon here I come....

I love both Starlancer and Freelancer. Still waiting for a 3rd -lancer game to come, but I very much doubt it'll happen..

Freelancer has one of the coolest end battles I've ever seen, although graphics will appear very dated by today's standards. Isn't the game at least four or five years old? No wonder you couldn't find it in a store JDR.

Isn't the game at least four or five years old? No wonder you couldn't find it in a store JDR.

It was still in stores until very recently here. I know I've seen it within the last 6 months. Ironic that I can't find it now that I want it. :-/

There are many new copies for cheap on Ebay, but they all appear to be the jewel case version, or the budget DVD case version, neither of which includes the manual. I'm trying to find an original full retail box version.

Honestly, you don't need a manual. The game mechanics are extremely easy to pick up and I seem to remember a tutorial mission or two. The manual, as I remember, wasn't that good/detailed anyway.

Before you go the eBay route, drop me a PM. Unless Wallyworld has mysteriously run out, I can grab a copy for you, although they had the digipak version.

Actually, Freelancer is almost six years old. It has aged very well in my opinion.

Thanks for the offer dte, I've decided that I'm going to get it from Gogamer.com ($12) along with some other items I was already planning on purchasing.

I don't think the graphics look that bad really....

I've been messing around with X3 for the past couple of days, and there's a lot to like. It's the first space-sim I've played in a long, long time. Probably since Privateer, to be honest.

My question; is there a space-sim out there that has a more realistic depiction of planetary systems, and interstellar distances?

I notice that the planets and moons are essentially background art in X3, and that all the space stations, mining operations, etc, are all closely bunched together around a central point. You then travel through a gate to another closely-bunched set of bases, with a planet hanging motion-less in the background.

Is there a sim out there that does this right? Am I just not playing X3 right lol?

No, that's the way X works. I understand your complaint, though to be honest, when Egosoft made sectors more varied for X3 (the sectors in X2 were quite symmetrical), I liked the concept but found it a pain in the ass to play.

I've been messing around with X3 for the past couple of days, and there's a lot to like. It's the first space-sim I've played in a long, long time. Probably since Privateer, to be honest.

My question; is there a space-sim out there that has a more realistic depiction of planetary systems, and interstellar distances?

I notice that the planets and moons are essentially background art in X3, and that all the space stations, mining operations, etc, are all closely bunched together around a central point. You then travel through a gate to another closely-bunched set of bases, with a planet hanging motion-less in the background.

Is there a sim out there that does this right? Am I just not playing X3 right lol?

Actually the planets are real 3D objects in the X games. At least they were in X - BTF and X2. But it will take some time in max time acceleration mode to reach even the closest ones. And that's probably the difficulty of having realistic interplanetary distances: The distances are just too huge; so the area that actually has gameplay content in it, has to exist on a smaller scale.

Anyway, I absolutely loved X - BTF and X-tension. But I feel like Egosoft has taken the wrong direction since then. For me the charm was exploring all those gorgeous solar systems, eventually discovering whole new civilizations with a completely different architectural style, meanwhile always looking for new ways to make profitss. What they should have improved was the controls and the fighting gameplay in general, it's just not a lot of fun. They could have made the economy more dynamic as well, with catastrophes affecting prices throughout the universe, just by supply and demand, etc. But instead they focussed on giving the player capital ships and building factory complexes. Sure those are cool to have. But once you have them, you realize it's not that much fun to fly a huge ship with all automatic weapons and building money printing machine after money printing machine. In the end you might as well just play the whole game in time acceleration mode and give some orders from time to time. Your empire just grows so big, that a single ship with a single person (you) inside doesn't matter anymore.

Also the storylines have become a lot weaker since X -BTF ,not sure why. Maybe the only non-prgrammer/businessfreak left them?

The X-series is still great! It just pains me to see so much potential wasted...

Ah, that's too bad... I think the one thing missing from X3 is, well, a sense of space.

It feels like one approx. 100km sphere connected to various other approx. 100km spheres via a series of tubes... and no, I'm not related to Ted Stevens.

It takes away from any sense of scale, truthfully, knowing that you can't just fly to that far-off point of light you see. All the pretty pictures are just for show.

Still, definitely having fun with it for now.

Thanks for the info.

Anyway, I absolutely loved X - BTF and X-tension. But I feel like Egosoft has taken the wrong direction since then. For me the charm was exploring all those gorgeous solar systems, eventually discovering whole new civilizations with a completely different architectural style, meanwhile always looking for new ways to make profitss.

I finally got my hands on a copy of X-Gold this week. A friend over at the Egosoft forums was kind enough to send me the ISO after I gave up trying to find a copy on the internet. I really wish they would re-release this game, as it is nearly impossible to find anymore.

Tried playing it for a few hours this morning, the controls are kind of tough to get used to compared to newer space sims. The mouse is completely useless in this game, unless there is some way to increase sensitivity that I missed. I can see that I'm going to have to purchase a joystick, or learn how to use keyboard only with this game.

Tried playing it for a few hours this morning, the controls are kind of tough to get used to compared to newer space sims. The mouse is completely useless in this game, unless there is some way to increase sensitivity that I missed. I can see that I'm going to have to purchase a joystick, or learn how to use keyboard only with this game.

I never tried playing it without a joystick, but I heard the mouse control is aweful. But to be honest even with a joystick it doesn't quite compare to classics such as I-War in terms of control. Considering that only very few gamers still have a joystick, I think they should try to copy the Freelancer mouse control for their next game. It felt a bit dumbed down like Half-Life in space, but it sure was fun.

Anyway, have fun in the "real" X universe. Play it like an RPG and you will soon feel right at home. I don't think there is any other game I spent more time on...

What turned me off from parkan 2 was the reference to "only robots!". Never dared getting that game for that reason. Perhaps I am afraid of robots? :)

What surprised me most about evochrone was that it was so much better polished then the first title i tried from them. Starwraith 3D.

My initial impression of the Evochrone demo might reflect the leap they made into this version. But still, since its lighter then the X games i will probably try it. I was intrigued enough to keep checking it out.
Evochron Renegades was the I bought, the more open ended, story entirely missing release. (The other current game is WC clone I believe with fixed mission series.)

Anyways, see one space station, you've seen them all, see 2 or 3 asteroids and you've seen them all, see the one "city" on the planet and you've seen them all, seen 5 or 6 planets and you've seen them all. Getting the idea? There's a reason why it's only 25MB, and there really isn't that much procedural generation.

There are about 15 or so products to trade, and a handful of various random "missions" cleaning solar panels(those are all alike as well), etc.

Small handful of ship upgrades. Really it's like Elite with 10y old 3D and the ability to enter planetary atmosphere, BUT the X series kills it on the economics and missions, AND BC3K kills them on space combat AND planetary surfaces.

It has little modding potential and is still written in DarkBasic.

X3:TC basically they hired most of the modders who made a mod for X3R (forget the name ATM) and most people say it plays almost exactly like that. So X3TC is basically X3R with a new primary story line, some new sectors, and a few other new features like AI corporations and the like plus interface and automation tweaks for the player. I still plan on picking up the import box from gogamer eventually but have passed for now as I've been playing X3 again and just plan to forge ahead to finish the story line (shouldn't take long as it's a minor point to the X series).

Never got to play the original X-BTF or X-Tension, although I read that the first game was very tedious to start since you had almost no money and no SETA (time speedup device) and had to fly between stations realtime to build up cash to get that Godsent SETA. X-Tension mainly added the ability to own/use other ships. (I started off with X2.)

X2 & X3 both have TONS of mods, so you might want to look at them just for that, sort of like how mods made Oblivious somewhat better if not saving it outright for some people. X combat is horrible though as enemies may as well not have AI and like to charge down your throat.

[EDIT]
X-Gold I think can be bought from the egosoft online store. Not sure if it's only in German though or if they have English as well.

Don't buy Starshatter, the dev did a walkie(i.e. no support) and the last patch which you get with the game is supposed to be ENTIRELY BROKEN! Not sure if there's a way to back down to the prior patch, so you'd have to check the forums.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:
I thought there's a patch to make the German X and X-Tension English.

I thought there's a patch to make the German X and X-Tension English.

That is correct, I believe it can be downloaded from Egosoft's website.

Anyone here have any experience with one of the newer joysticks? I'm thinking about getting a Saitek Cyborg Evo, but I'm open to suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom