Alpha Protocol - Review Mini Roundup

Sorry, but you're just wrong about this. There amount of information on characters, plots, factions, events etc in AP is astounding. That information can inform the choices you make, as well as paying attention during dialouge. I've found that the summaries the game gives you are generally less misleading than in ME, if you're paying attention, then Mike will say basically what you expect him to.

It's certainly a game that requires a significant buy-in from the player, to suggest that there isn't real choice in this game is frankly just asinine. The choices in this game are often easy to miss althogether if you're not paying attention, other times they're big and obvious.

I played and loved Bloodlines (several times including once each as a Nossie and Malk), but the player agency in that game was pretty limited compared to this.

A good comparison between ME2 and AP by Tom Chick can be found here: http://fidgit.com/archives/2010/06/11_ways_alpha_protocol_is_bett.php

There are a lot of people around the web saying a lot of very god things about this game. For those who can get past the issues, there's an amazing game to discover underneath.

Ehm no, I'm not "wrong" ;)

Neither are you, though.

We just had a different reaction, and obviously we have different ways of measuring "choice". If you think it's possible to predict what will be said, and what the stance will constitute in terms of choice - then we simply differ SEVERELY.

I could claim you're not being entirely truthful - but what would that accomplish.

It's perfectly possible that I'm not mentally capable of processing that information, but I don't think I'll take your word for it - if you take my meaning ;)

Besides, the game is shock full of spontaneous conversations that you have absolutely no research for, and which your information about the various characters have little or nothing to do with. There's nothing to prepare you for those situations, and that's a neat aspect - but what's not neat, is that you don't get to hear the line you're responding to in time to make an informed choice. I don't see how researching character specific info will help in situations that are not character related, but situation-related.

Oh, and I think the game is pretty good overall. I understand that my specific tastes ruin the experience on some level, but that's for me personally.

But I'm not going to excuse what I think is bad or crap, just because I want to like something. That's not what I'm about.

I suspect you did what most do DArtagnan - go in without buying/reading all the intel available, in which case you are correct: A lot of the options come out of nowhere and you don't know the results. I did that the first time as well, and felt I was guessing more than making a choice from time to time.

However, as Badesumofu has pointed out - the information is usually available, if a bit hard to find and read up on. Not all of it though, and I do agree that some choices are made in the dark.

Still, the sheer amount of flexibility and options in AP is staggering once you break it down.

Edit: I actually agree with the comparison. However, ME2 does have strengths AP does not - the setting is still more interesting from my point of view, and it is clearly more polished. To me, ME1 is the best game of the three, with ME2 and AP being roughly on par, though AP certainly beats the others in terms of RPG elements.

And yes, Steven Heck really is hilarious.

I suspect you did what most do DArtagnan - go in without buying/reading all the intel available, in which case you are correct: A lot of the options come out of nowhere and you don't know the results. I did that the first time as well, and felt I was guessing more than making a choice from time to time.

Actually, no - not really. I did read intel and researched the characters for the first part of the game, until I discovered that while it did INDEED help me control the outcome, it wasn't possible for me to predict the benefits of that help. During the very initial stages of the game, they go out of their way to explain that pissing people off can be just as helpful as making them happy. So, in effect, what I'm saying is correct.

In MANY cases, you don't really know what a given choice will grant you - and that's why I think it's essentially random.

But that's just one issue.

The other issue is when conversations appear with characters you haven't yet gotten research on (or not enough to make any stance decisions), and which deals with situations you have NO way to prepare for.

If you insist on claiming you can prepare for the surprises that happen during the game, by simply researching the intel - then we're not going to agree about anything.

That means we have gotten different versions of the game, or you're not being truthful. Either way, it's of no use.

However, as Badesumofu has pointed out - the information is usually available, if a bit hard to find and read up on. Not all of it though, and I do agree that some choices are made in the dark.

Yeah, in many OTHER cases - you can know what will make people happy, or pissed. But you really have no idea what that will grant you, on your first playthrough.

Naturally, you could argue that's realistic in some way, but I call bullshit on that. It's an incredibly "gamey" mechanic, simply to make it all appear oh so blurry. I don't buy that without a measure of human nature reality there, which the game has nothing of.

Still, the sheer amount of flexibility and options in AP is staggering once you break it down.

The amount of work poured into that aspect, is indeed immense. Just as it has been in most Obsidian games. Like what happened in NWN2 in the courtroom.

But completely unlike the NWN2 courtroom scene, I gain no pleasure from making blind choices and getting a mix of expected and completely unexpected mostly random consequences.

Basically, this is a game that requires several playthroughs to really know what you want to do, or what kind of character you're dealing with.

ME2 is not a game I'm very fond of, so I have no basis to compare AP negatively to it. Besides, I don't think they're very much alike - but at least I find it possible to control the outcome of dialogues in ME2.

All that said, it's not a big deal.

I didn't mind the random effect so much, because I was enjoying the gameplay.

I'm not a C&C nut, and I can deal with it being the way it is. But I'm not going to ignore what is plain to see.

Of course some of the consequences are unknown when you make the choice - just like in real life. If everyone knew the consequences of their actions before making a choice, making that choice would be fairly simple, wouldn't it?

You make decisions based on all your currently available information, and try to predict the outcome as best as possible. This is how choices always work. You very rarely *know* the end result - other than the obvious cases (jump off a cliff and the consequence is death).

Strategic decisions for a company, for example, are made based on the information available at the time. They predict a certain net gain over time, but there is no way of actually knowing untill they try, hence why so many fail at it, despite having skilled people who are eduated and trained to make such decisions.

To demand that you know the outcome of each and every choice you make during a game is both unrealistic and boring in my opinion, as decisions are often made in the dark with what little information you have available.

Consider being a spy: To let Nasri live so he can lead you to certain sources or kill him to avoid him meddling in the future. There is no way, no how, a spy in that situation would know any more than what Mike knows - he knows he can gamble and possibly gain information, but he also knows this might be a huge mistake that can come back to haunt him later on. What more could you ask?

The results are not random, but that doesn't mean they're always entirely predictable. Often the outcome is predictable within certain parameters (i.e you can guess that one of several things will happen, but not which one), just like in real life.

I'm really not sure what you're asking here. A big dialogue option that goes:
1. Become his ally
2. Become his enemy
3. Stay neutral

How is this interesting or realistic? Choices are never that obvious in life, especially not for a spy in the field who often have to work with very little intel, meaning a lot of improvisation.

Edit: Just to point out - I still feel that some choices are too abrupt, but not the majority. They certainly fit within the context of playing a spy in the field, where information is limited.

Of course some of the consequences are unknown when you make the choice - just like in real life. If everyone knew the consequences of their actions before making a choice, making that choice would be fairly simple, wouldn't it?

Of course you can't know the outcome in real life. This is a game, though. I don't mind a sense of realism, but again, it needs to FEEL real. In this game, it feels RANDOM - mostly because characters are pretty absurd, and the situations strictly force you into STANCES. You can't react in any other way - except what stance you choose, and (too often) you have no idea what the game will do with that stance.

Sometimes it works, granted, and sometimes it doesn't. In real life, you have full control over what you do with your capacities, and I would never take a "stance" hoping it would somehow result in something good.

That has nothing to do with reality.

I can only speak from personal experience though, and if YOU or others get that sense of reality from what happens in the game, that's fine with me.

I'm not trying to say my reaction to the game is the only one, or the right one. But you'll never get me to say it's realistic - because it's nothing like that at all.

You might ask "then what are they supposed to do, then?" - my answer: Don't innovate without thinking it through. But that's my opinion.

Go with a traditional dialogue interface, where you get to read the sentence - or go the Bioware way, if you must.

Don't just try new stuff without having a clue about reality.

But that's MY opinion. You think it's real, so maybe it is. I'm not exactly a superspy in reality, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that I wouldn't be like Mike Thorton if I was.

You make decisions based on all your currently available information, and try to predict the outcome as best as possible. This is how choices always work. You very rarely *know* the end result - other than the obvious cases (jump off a cliff and the consequence is death).

Yes, you make rigidly enforced "decisions" - without knowing what those decisions really are - because you don't know the dialogue. You also don't get to hear the lines you're responding to, which I'm pretty sure I would have to hear in real life, before responding to life/death situations.

I wouldn't just shrug and take a guess as to what I would say, and come out with dialogue over which I had no control.

That's why a traditional dialogue interface with actual text would have worked much better FOR ME. Sure, it could be timed to simulate pressure, but at least let me know what the hell I'm going to do.

Strategic decisions for a company, for example, are made based on the information available at the time. They predict a certain net gain over time, but there is no way of actually knowing untill they try, hence why so many fail at it, despite having skilled people who are eduated and trained to make such decisions.

Again, they're not handed 3 obscure stances from which to choose, without a description of what those stances are going to actually do.

To demand that you know the outcome of each and every choice you make during a game is both unrealistic and boring in my opinion, as decisions are often made in the dark with what little information you have available.

I don't demand anything.

I'm saying what I don't like about a game that I already bought. Demanding would be moronic.

I just want to know what my character is going to do, when I'm playing him. You know? That would be fine. I'd also like to hear lines spoken, before being forced into making obscure choices.

Consider being a spy: To let Nasri live so he can lead you to certain sources or kill him to avoid him meddling in the future. There is no way, no how, a spy in that situation would know any more than what Mike knows - he knows he can gamble and possibly gain information, but he also knows this might be a huge mistake that can come back to haunt him later on. What more could you ask?

That was an example of a nice clear cut choice, with no doubt about the action you took. That's fine, and I liked that.

Edit: Just to point out - I still feel that some choices are too abrupt, but not the majority. They certainly fit within the context of playing a spy in the field, where information is limited.

That's the key, isn't it.

You felt SOME choices are too abrupt. I feel TOO many choices are like I described.

But we're arguing about stuff that might just be about tastes.

You liked the C&C implementation, and I hated it.

But, I liked the game in most ways - because I don't really care about C&C.

C&C in a computer game, will never feel realistic to me, anyway. That's because my mind works in a way that the minds of developers don't. I can assure you of that ;)

In other words: You consider the stance system the problem, not the C&C or lack thereof.

Then just say so, instead of claiming the C&C part of AP is poor - it's probably the most dynamic C&C part I think I've ever seen. I can't think of any other game where the reactions are more dynamic in any case. Again, for more thorough examples, see the C&C AP thread in the general forum.

Whether or not you like the stance system is definetly a personal preference, and I'm sorry it makes you feel like you're not in control of the choices you make. A shame, as it means you'll be missing out on an otherwise great game.

To me, the system feels very different from the experience you had.

In other words: You consider the stance system the problem, not the C&C or lack thereof.

Ehm, yes, I consider the C&C system the problem, and the stance system is a huge part of the C&C system. I'd say they're almost one and the same.

Then just say so, instead of claiming the C&C part of AP is poor - it's probably the most dynamic C&C part I think I've ever seen. I can't think of any other game where the reactions are more dynamic in any case. Again, for more thorough examples, see the C&C AP thread in the general forum.

Why don't you just accept that our opinions differ? You're never going to be able to control the perceptions of other people.

You can pretend to be "right" if you wish, but unless you have arguments that will convince me that my arguments don't hold water - please spare me your attempt to control my opinion.

You're ignoring what I say, basically. I'm not saying the game doesn't react to a LOT of input from the player. It does, indeed it does.

Get that?

Good.

I'm saying I don't feel like I have any control, and I personally think I should get that feeling, even in a game with pressure and spontaneous events.

You know why?

That's because the FUN part of being in a pressure-situation in a game, is that you get to react "on your feet" and if you're GOOD - you get good results.

In this game, that's not the case. Not very often.

It doesn't matter if you're good or bad, as a player, because the game doesn't give you the opportunity to exploit your quick thinking.

What it does, from my perspective, is give you the ILLUSION that you're doing something clever, or that you're a cool guy doing cool stuff.

That's MY opinion, though.

Whether or not you like the stance system is definetly a personal preference, and I'm sorry it makes you feel like you're not in control of the choices you make. A shame, as it means you'll be missing out on an otherwise great game.

If you read anything I said, which you evidently didn't - you'd discover that I've repeatedly said that the stance system isn't why I don't like the game.

The only thing that made me stop playing, were the Doom like bosses. I'm interested in hearing your attempt at making the Brayko fight "realistic"? ;)

To me, the system feels very different from the experience you had.

Indeed, and what's wrong with that?

I have no problem whatsover with your pleasurable experience. Why do you feel the need to convince me that I'm wrong somehow?

There's no need for that, really.

Back
Top Bottom