Fig - a new funding platform for games

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Justin Bailey the former Double Fine COO has started a new crowdfunding platform focused on games. This platform called Fig also allows equity crowdfunding; from the article below.

Fig is built from its very foundations to offer maximum value to developers, pledgers and investors, rather than relying on an architecture built to serve cat cafes, smart watches and YouTube channels equally.
Urquhart, Fargo, and Schafer have also pledged to use Fig to fund future titles from their studios Obsidian Entertainment, inXile Entertainment and Double Fine Productions.
If you want to check out Fig head here.

More information.

Do I do something wrong or is "Outer Wilds" currently the only project there and the page doesn't really have any index?

I haven't figured it all out yet. But it seems like the plan is to have 2 games going per month. The AMA can answer some of those questions.

Meh...me not like. ^^

That's then pretty much for big games only and small ones only get a chance if no big ones want to take the spots...

I think its supposed to be one high profile and one indie.

Justin Bailey ------ — CEO
@corleyh Hi Corley, we're looking to do two projects a month as our normal cadence - one large "iii" game and one unknown indie title with a lot of promise

Justin Bailey ------ — CEO
@oliverjudge not really, we're looking for a mix of indie and well know titles so the two can build off each other. The main focus is on quality and the ability to deliver.

Last edited:
I Wonder if Larian will have DOS2 campaign there instead of Kickstarter.

The game has been announced for kickstarter so I don't expect so.
Seems like it'd be extremely risky to pin their hopes on a site that nobody's heard of.

Long-term, this seems like a good idea though, Kickstarter is just not that good for video games. It isn't set up well, they don't provide good tools for managing things, and it's hard to even find the games unless you know what you're looking for (use search box) or got a direct link from another site. Video games don't even have their own category. Hard to believe they can't be bothered to improve this after a few years of video games being many of their biggest-money projects.

Last edited:
In the iOS app for Kickstarter Video Games is a separate category.

Yeah, I see, once you're on the games page you can click on the word "Games" which is underlined and then switch to the sub-category "Video Games". Not very obvious, and once you're on the page, there's no sections for genres or platforms or budget-level or anything, you just scroll through 200+ random games…assuming you're willing to click "Load more" tons of times. In practice, the only way most people are ever going to find games they're interested in is by getting a direct link from a site like RPG Watch.

If I had the cash available, I'd be more than willing to invest in the right games. The concept of potentially taking part in the success of something you've helped fund seems like an ideal way to build a game.

I think it's a great idea, and I wish them luck. I've been moaning about how I think high tier "donations" are a bit exploitative for a long time, so I'm pleased to see this evolution of the crowdfunding concept.

I've posted in another thread, but have to repeat.
Unlike Kickstarter and Indiegogo that operate more like a charity dontations, Fig will eventually allow actual investment options.

Which means while I'll never ever support scamware and phonegames on kickstarter, since it's selling like a cure to majority (won't say what I think about that majority), I'll invest into it. Opportunity makes a thief.
Of course I won't do that. It's in fact stating a hope that Fig won't allow phonegames and DLC scam onto the platform but only proper games.

Hard to believe they can't be bothered to improve this after a few years of video games being many of their biggest-money projects.
You see this in every sector. Wherever there's a monopoly (or near monopoly as with KS), little money or attention is paid to development.

It'll be interesting to see how Fig really deals with the smaller indies. If they help true indies get funded, I'm all for this. Otherwise, this is just trying to get investors to buy into the bigger indie projects. I'm not really keen on helping these guys make more money because the only big project that I've been satisfied with is Original Sin and they're staying on Kickstarter.

I may be a minority voice here, but I thought Obsidian "especially" ignored the wants of their backers after they got the money. They weren't building the game the community wanted but did their own thing. I think PoE was poorer for it too. I don't want to invest into a company that isn't listening to me. In fact, if I've invested money and they change the plan, I would quickly sue them. I'm potentially the audience they're looking for too. I could invest thousands in some of these projects if I thought the ROI was going to be good.

the only big project that I've been satisfied with is Original Sin and they're staying on Kickstarter.
So you hated Wasteland2 too?

Back
Top Bottom