Wizardry 8 Party Creation Advice

Bishops do confuse me, because there is either too much choice or too much to cover, depending on the other classes in the party.

Just have your Bishop concentrate on whatever spell books aren't well covered by other party members.

Reading this thread really makes me want to play through Wiz 8 again. I'd like to give some of those hybrid classes a try. Unfortunately, the length of the game goes against it for me. It's just too damn long to fit into my gaming schedule again.

Just have your Bishop concentrate on whatever spell books aren't well covered by other party members.
Yes.

Imo a much better advice than all those guides recommending to play these 100-points-in-everything ultimate bishops developed via extensive engineering of spell picks, shitload of power training and grinding to hell and back :).

Just a reminder:

Wizardry 8 on the second, third ... run can be fun with a "not so perfect" or unconventional party, too. If you survive Arnika Road you can finish the game, too.

Hello sexy people. I will resurrect this topic for now. I've just started playing Wizardry 8 last night. I made a party with my own characters and started playing. So far so good, almost out of the monastery. I have however a few question :

1. How do I identify items?????
2. Can I reach str, dex and other stats above 100 ?
3. I've read some guides on the internet (some were more or less crappy) and they all say to avoid bishops and engineers for first play. Are they that confusing?
4. I found some computers in a room… Is there a way to hack them?
5. What the hell is this?
2nj93mg.jpg

6. Is there a newb friendly setup? I went with the classic fighter, mage, priest, ranger, rogue and valkyrie (just because I'm into norse lore) etc but I am not really sure about the character creation. I did get to the end of the monastery though.

Hello sexy people. I will resurrect this topic for now. I've just started playing Wizardry 8 last night. I made a party with my own characters and started playing. So far so good, almost out of the monastery. I have however a few question :

3. I've read some guides on the internet (some were more or less crappy) and they all say to avoid bishops and engineers for first play. Are they that confusing?
6. Is there a newb friendly setup? I went with the classic fighter, mage, priest, ranger, rogue and valkyrie (just because I'm into norse lore) etc but I am not really sure about the character creation. I did get to the end of the monastery though.

1. Whether or not you can identify an item depends on that character's "Artifact" skill. Always give an unidentified item to the party member with the highest level of Artifact to see if they can identify it. There's also an Identify spell.

2. No, at least from what I remember.

3. Complete nonsense.

4. No. There will be computers in the game that you can interact with, but you don't hack them.

5. That's in the Monastery, right? I don't remember if it actually does anything.

6. That party should do fine.

2nj93mg.jpg

1. Right click on the item. It will bounce against your artifacts skill (Gads, I think that's the skill name but I never actually put points in it so I'm not certain—something starting with an "A") to see if you succeed. Otherwise you have to pay a vendor.
2. You can't put points into an ability after 100, but items with ability bonuses can push you over that limit.
3. Bishops are a major pain for newbs, but I don't know that gadgeteers are that tough.
4 and 5. Did you not find the bell room? Ring the bells, Igor!
6. You've pretty well got the easiest "newb party". Since pickpocket has been completely nerfed, rogues aren't "mandatory". You could put a bard or gadgeteer in the rogue's slot (make sure you pump their locks-n-traps if you do) if you wanted.

Word of warning. Arnika Road is a challenge. Don't question your party build if you struggle on that map.

I started this game years ago as a total newb to all of Wizardry and I had a Mook Gadgeteer in my party. I don't remember having any issues with him at all.

Well I managed to reach Arnika. Did some questing there, got some chick with one eye in party and some drunk dude that can't pay his debt at the local bar.

Is there a way to better see the journal? A way to get more details maybe? I'm really confused about what to do next...I found the tower but there's no way to get it and like I said, the journal does not offer any kind of help...

Also I didn't patch the game. Is that a bad thing?

Have you used the text field in NPC dialogues at all? Where you type in a keyword and see if the respective NPC has anything to say?

To start you off, try asking the people in town about the three artifacts (Astral Dominae, Chaos Moliri, & Destinae Dominus). Ask them about the Black Savant or other people/places you might be curious about - the game is set up brilliantly in this regard.

If all else fails, just wander around a bit :) That in itself is terrific fun and can clarify things greatly without having to spoil yourself with walkthroughs and such.

When you talk to an NPC, in the mid-lower right hand corner, there's a text field you can type into. There's even a + sign if you want to add the word to a list you can cycle through when talking to new people. Over time, if you do this with many different people, it answers many a question you might have about the backstory.

You also should get the wizfast patch to speed up combat. It should be readily available.

Ah crap! First Realms of the Haunting and now Wizardry 8. Please for the love of the rat god stop playing my favorite games. I read about it and then I want to play it.

If you guys have any mercy at all please at least don't mention Bloodlines. I have 3 other games I have to get through before a RotH and Wizardy 8 replay. I can't add another one to that list :p

In case anyone doesn't realize it, I'm only joking. But it does make me want to give this game another whirl. As it stands I have too many to play before I can even think about this one though.

Have fun Bloodlover and definitely use Wizfast.

This thread comes at the right time! I'm doing my first playthrough at Wiz 8, and so far I found it awesome: I'm really enjoying it, and I'm just at the beginning...
About my party, I started with

1 Dracon Fighter
2 Lizard Samurai
3 Faerie Mage
4 Ranulf Priest
5 Mook Ranger
6 Hobbit Gadgeteer

I tried to have a 'balanced' party, what do you think guys?

Looks like a fairly good party. When it comes to character creation / development wiz 8 is second to none.

Hey GothicGothicness, thanks ^^ Sorry, I know I'm a bit off topic, but how can I resurrect a dead character (my mage died very soon in the monastery lol)?

There is a resurrection powder hidden in a safe in the monastery, much later on there is also a spell, so that you don't need to use the powder anymore. You can also find it in other places, even if it is rare.

Back
Top Bottom