The TV Series discussion thread

As with the Olympic hockey discussion Mythros squashed, can you guys take this into a new thread or just stop?

That list sux.

Dwayne Johnson
The Franchise Steroid-Boost
Add his muscles to a strong brand and watch it grow.MORE
Should be at least 10 spots up.

The only person on the list drithius mentioned was McConaughey, that's hardly "Strikes me as peculiar just how many well-known, established actors are participating in television now."

Perhaps he missed Martin Sheen in the West Wing?

Perhaps he missed Alec Guiness in Smiley's people?

Perhaps he missed Whoopy Goldburg in Star Trek TNG?

Perhaps he's missed the fact that Spacey hasn't made a big hollywood film for years?

Perhaps he's never noticed that Steve Buscemi has already been in 14 episodes of the Sopranoes way back in 2004-6, when he was even more well known and box-office reliable?

Still doesnt prove that McConaughey isnt a "big name" ;) It will probably change again if he wins the Oscar for "best actor" tomorrow (like i said, the industry is constantly in motion). He's considered the front-runner by most Oscar watchers.

But yeah, i still say you're pretty cluless when you say these arent big names. They arent the biggest actors ever in recorded history, no. But it's very clear that big actors and nowadays even really big actors are getting more and more involved into TV shows.

Already have examples… Prove that Kidman is a more popular actor than McConaughey currently :p

Also, no one said every well known actor in the movie industry is moving to TV-shows. But it's undeniable that more well known actors are doing TV shows now than in a long time.

As with the Olympic hockey discussion Mythros squashed, can you guys take this into a new thread or just stop?

Still on-topic so no..

More so than in 2001 when the world's biggest director and the worlds biggest movie star produced a television series called Band of Brothers?

Where does this 'more so' come from?

I'm not saying you're wrong, there's certainly a lot more 'money' in tv series nowadays, what with DVD box-sets and on-line full series downloads, so it would make sense if there were more actors taking notice of the trend - but since you can't actually explain any of it in anything other than 'nonsense' it's making for a terribly boring conversation - especially as it might still be completely incorrect.

Play nice, kids. Stop discussing each other.

Wait a second did someone say they hate Cheers? Joxer has a very dark soul that happiness can not penetrate. Woody has had some great acting roles last few years. Just watch No Country for Old Men or what he is currently doing in True Detective.

Wait a second did someone say they hate Cheers? Joxer has a very dark soul that happiness can not penetrate. Woody has had some great acting roles last few years. Just watch No Country for Old Men or what he is currently doing in True Detective.

Or Zombieland or Natural Born Killers.

But (I think) the question raised had to do with 'box office draw', not 'quality' or 'acting ability'. In other words, according to MinorityReport, money is all that matters so making 'Transformers' makes you 'more important' than making Citizen Kane or whatever. That is why he presented a list of actors with large grossing movies, NOT one with the best actors.

No mate…

The issue was:

Strikes me as peculiar just how many well-known, established actors are participating in television now. Kevin Spacey, Woody Harrelson, Mathew McConaughey, Steve Buscemi, & likely more since I don't watch much TV!

…One could infer that they're sick of Hollywood's staleness and want to do something original for a change

To which, in case you missed to many posts on the subject, doesn't suggest any kind of 'trend' because there have always been actors who shift between TV and film, whether they are 'good' actors or not. And these actors 'traditionally' tend to be the ones who don't have 'big film-star' draw.

I'm sorry you don't understand the topic…

True detective. Really really good stuff there. Hope it ends in an equal way.
It makes me wonder if they will be able to maintain such high standars for next season

True detective. Really really good stuff there. Hope it ends in an equal way.
It makes me wonder if they will be able to maintain such high standars for next season

Assuming they catch the guy, a season two would sort of feel contrived from the get-go. Time will tell.

So who else think True detective is a factor in McConaughey winning the Oscar?

Back
Top Bottom