Fallout: New Vegas - GameBanshee's Post-Mortem Interview with Chris Avellone, Part

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Chris Avellone sat down with Gamebanshee to discuss Fallout New Vegas and the DLCs. The interview is seperated into two parts. This is part mostly goes over the DLCs for the game. Here's a snippet from this excellent interview:
Each of the DLCs you've released takes a different approach in both gameplay and setting. What steps did you take to ensure that each one retained a consistent feel with New Vegas, as well as Fallout in general?
We recognized each DLC had to set itself apart, but still fit in the universe. There were a few steps we took, some resource-dependent, others more design-dependent:
- We set up narrative and visual hooks in the Mojave that would tie to the DLCs, whether players recognized them (the Canyon Wreckage was pretty obvious) or only in retrospect (Sierra Madre billboards and posters, Burned Man graffiti and dialogues).
- With respect to the narrative, we made sure we laid the foundation for Ulysses with Nash in Primm to establish the mystery for Lonesome Road, there were plenty of references to the Burned Man in Honest Hearts in the loading screens and in character dialogue that Josh Sawyer (NV Project Director) took care to place in, and I fleshed out the Elijah hooks with Veronica in coordination with Eric Fenstermaker and sat in on Felicia Day's voice recording session for her backstory with Elijah to make sure it connected to Dead Money (although we had to mask the references in the GECK so it didn't spoil what was to come). Eric also helped by setting up evidence of Elijah's path with the bomb collar victims in the Mojave as well.
- Old World Blues was the anomaly, it took everything in the Mojave I thought was odd and tried to give a logical underpinning for it (Cazadores, Nightstalkers), so in essence, Old World Blues was a way of pulling back the curtain and see additional support structure for creatures and events in the Mojave.
- One element of consistency that was resource-dependent was using the existing architecture that had been established both in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, both terrain and actual buildings. We did make an effort to try and use these architectural building blocks in new ways (Lonesome Road being the best example). Seeing consistent architectural styles and props go a long way to making you feel like you're sharing the same space as the Mojave even if other elements of the DLC are new (atmospheric changes such as rain, toxic clouds, dust storms, and so on).
- I do believe because some of us had worked with Fallout for so long, that helped maintain consistency as well. Scotty Everts, who built all the maps for Fallout 1, for example, has been constructing the world of Fallout for a good chunk of his design career, so having his eyes on the New Vegas and DLC terrain was a plus as well.
More information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but there's nothing I can do about a title in this thread now that someone has officially commented. Maybe someone with more power than I have can fix it ;)

It must be all the turkey I had today. I can barely keep my eyes open now. Even in Taiwan I love this day and celebrate it with my one person family over here. We stuff our faces with pumpkin pie, turkey, mashed potatoes and then watch Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving special.

I'm going to sleep now. Too much turkey :p

I finally caved in and bought all of the DLC off Steam for about $25 AU. So until I play through the game again, I should probably avoid the spoilerific nature of this interview as lengthy and interesting as it seems. :)

At least two I think were half price, so it was worth it, though no doubt the prices will lower a bit more as the release of the ultimate edition draws closer.

F:NV + DLCs , probably one of the biggest rpgs in terms of content , even size

Back
Top Bottom