Genres that need more RPG love

Wizardry 9 :)

Absolutely, but only if they can keep the unique atmosphere that made Wizardry 8 so good imo. I'd love to see another M&M crpg as well, but I think the odds are about the same there… slim to none. :-/

Games like those are not going to sell enough to be worthwhile to today's publishers.

The game has equal parts of awesome and awful, so whether you enjoy it or not will mostly depend on whether or not those things it does well are the ones you value and whether those it does awfully are the ones you can overlook. I liked it well enough myself, and I loved what it was trying to do. It didn't really deserve all the bad rep it got.

Does Alone in the Dark 5 have any connection to the earlier games in the series? I've never played any of those games despite being a big fan of the genre. The original trilogy was released when I was just starting to transition to the PC as my primary gaming platform, and I never bothered with "The New Nightmare" due to the general opinion that it was mediocre.

I say we needs more time travel rpgs. Ones that you can alter time by the choices you make.

Absolutely, but only if they can keep the unique atmosphere that made Wizardry 8 so good imo. I'd love to see another M&M crpg as well, but I think the odds are about the same there… slim to none. :-/

Games like those are not going to sell enough to be worthwhile to today's publishers.

Wizardry Online

I would love to see more games using non-standard, non-Tolkienesque fantasy settings like these:

Talislanta:

Tekumel (Empire of the Petal Throne):

Yes. I would like to see that as well. I'm waiting for a game to come along that uses "non-traditional" settings and monsters, etc. Someone awhile back, not sure if it was this site or what site it was, but someone linked a directory that had fantasy monsters from various mythologies around the world, and the list of creatures was enormous. Thousands of possible creatures, each with unique lore, yet in every fantasy RPG we continue to see the same creatures. I'm waiting for a game to come along that has completely new and unique creatures in it that fantasy games haven't utilized yet. There's so many ideas out there that just are untapped, and it seems like no one wants to take a risk and make that style of game. When someone does finally make a game like that, it will probably do very well.

I don't know how many of you have played The Lost Tribe, it is a very old strategy game set in stone age , i 'd love to play a party of the very first humans that set foot in the Americas and had to deal with the megafuna , diseases , while discovering new technologies , hunting techniques and areas . Just think of it the possible skills are tens from tribe leadership to healing , poaching , hunting , herbalism , tool making , flute carving etc etc .

I would also like to see a game set in Imperial Western Africa and play as an Oyo cavalry man, Arab trader , Portuguese explorer , Songhai archer, Malian slaver or Ashanti tribal leader , freaking lot of possibilities in a realistic landscape with historical aspects .

*In both scenarios i 'd love to see magic left out .

JDR13 said:
Does Alone in the Dark 5 have any connection to the earlier games in the series? I've never played any of those games despite being a big fan of the genre. The original trilogy was released when I was just starting to transition to the PC as my primary gaming platform, and I never bothered with "The New Nightmare" due to the general opinion that it was mediocre.

The connection is tenuous at best. It is implied the three original cases happened in one way or another, but that's about it. And about the new nightmare nothing is said as it was part of that game's own lore that the main character was just some new guy who had taken the name of Edward Carnby for himself or something like that.

Tartarus. Grinding the bleep out off Arqa 17-24.
I've always wanted a game set inside the world of Umberto Eco's works; any one would do: the modern world of Foucault's Pendulum, the medieval world of The Name of the Rose, or the fictional world of Baudolino are all good.

Back
Top Bottom