Skyrim Skyrim - Paid Mod Status Update(Re-Opened)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Since I just got an unexpected refund from my insurance company, I suppose I should put my money where my mouth is and donate to a couple mods. If nothing else, this drama has at least reminded me that the nexus donation buttons do exist and that I should remember to use them.

Toddlers 1 - Fluent 0

:biggrin:

Yes and no. There's the absolutely-not-under-any-circumstance crowd but there's also people like me who could get behind it if they do it right. Skyrim at this time was not the right game to be trying this on.

A welcome delay, but it's simply a matter of timing.
Fallout 4, to be launched May 17, 2016.

We are proud to bring you the latest installment of Fallout. Set in Boston, will you be able to unravel the mysteries of the tunnels lying under the ancient pre-war complex only known as Mit? Be the first to rediscover the purpose of research commissioned by Vault-tec in 2076.

Do you enjoy modding your game? We will be releasing the tools necessary to craft your very own story at the same time as the game's debut. The G.E.C.K. has never been easier to learn with a built-in tutorial and Cloud-functionality!*

*Requires Steam login, files cannot be saved locally.

The truly sad thing out of all this is the mod authors. If you read some of the comments you can see how many in the community display pure self-entitlement. I just read DarkOnes response to the news and some other sites. Only a slice of course and many supported the mod authors. But sad to see things like:

- The community will welcome back the sellouts if they show some sincerity and humility

- The sure shows those mod authors who sold out, who needs them!

- We the users showed them, maybe the mod authors will be smarter next time

In general users act like they are doing a favor to the mod authors by using their mods o_O Hello - you wouldn't have any mods without them. Of course not much reason to make a mod if no one uses it either, a two way street. But some of the arrogance of the user base is simply mind-melting. Some people actually seem to believe the mod authors should all be thanking them with heads held low and humbly beg to be let back in. Far as I am concerned the mod authors owe no one anything. Instead we owe them for providing us with free mods.

Based on everything I read over the last few days I suspect much of this could have been avoided if it had been handled more openly and not dropped like a bomb.

Quote from Darkone:

I know many people will disagree with me, but I can't help but feel sorry for Bethesda. I understand this was their own doing. But in between all the drama of the past few days it's very easy to lose sight of the fact that this is the developer who released an amazing SDK for Morrowind, when they didn't have to, an amazing SDK for Oblivion, when they didn't have to, an amazing SDK for Fallout 3 (that worked with New Vegas), when they didn't have to, and an amazing SDK for Skyrim, when they didn't have to. In a gaming industry that was and is running further and further away from modding. We shouldn't have had reason to doubt them, but unfortunately a lack of good communication with the community at large prior to releasing the tools has completely bewildered the entire community and contributed in a big part to the resounding amount of resentment towards the new system.

I can't say I am unhappy with the news, as I didn't like the way it was rolled out or set up, but it is a shame so much negativity had to come out of it.

Will be very curious to see where things are a few years from now.

So I just asked the SkyUI creator if they could enable the donation button on their mod because I wanted to thank them for their past work and encourage them to continue the work they continued because of the paid modding opportunity that valve had offered them. Remember, they had stepped away from modding quite a while ago and only came back to work on the crafting menus for SkyUI because Valve had asked them to be part of the debut pack. They missed the date to be part of that, but they had been working on those improvements already.

They just responded to me and have enabled the donation button on their mod. If you want to show people the community can support these modders without paywalling in Steam workshop this is probably a good place to start.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863/?

Aaaaand, it's gone. Steam is removing paid Skyrim mods

Removing Payment Feature From Skyrim Workshop

I think that they should still feature a donate button though.

Hopefully they add something like that, but in the meantime you can donate to mods on the nexus if they're eligible (1000+ endorsements I beleive.) The modder does have to enable the donation system for their mods though, so if you want to donate to a favorite modder on there and they don't have the button on their mods just ask them to enable it. I just asked the SkyUI modder to enable theirs and they did.

The truly sad thing out of all this is the mod authors. If you read some of the comments you can see how many in the community display pure self-entitlement. I just read DarkOnes response to the news and some other sites. Only a slice of course and many supported the mod authors. But sad to see things like:

- The community will welcome back the sellouts if they show some sincerity and humility

- The sure shows those mod authors who sold out, who needs them!

- We the users showed them, maybe the mod authors will be smarter next time

In general users act like they are doing a favor to the mod authors by using their mods o_O Hello - you wouldn't have any mods without them. Of course not much reason to make a mod if no one uses it either, a two way street. But some of the arrogance of the user base is simply mind-melting. Some people actually seem to believe the mod authors should all be thanking them with heads held low and humbly beg to be let back in. Far as I am concerned the mod authors owe no one anything. Instead we owe them for providing us with free mods.

Agreed. Comments like those deserve the posters being castigated themselves. Sadly it takes a crisis for some to show their true colours and the internet allows bullies to be empowered. Ungrateful little pieces of so and so.

//shakes head

-kaos

edit - changed ostracized to castigated.

Last edited:
Gee I honestly didn't expect this, maybe I will rethink my stance on steam.

Well, color me pleasantly surprised.

"But we underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop. We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here."

That they're admitting they made a mistake redeems them at least a little in my eyes. If they plan on going forward with this with any future games, let's hope they think it through a little, and hopefully we'll get those positive effects that Fluent has been preaching.

Last edited:
Agreed. Comments like those deserve the posters being castigated themselves. Sadly it takes a crisis for some to show their true colours and the internet allows bullies to be empowered. Ungrateful little pieces of so and so.

//shakes head

-kaos

edit - changed ostracized to castigated.

Frankly both sides showed their true colours.
Switching your mod behind a paywall at the first chance to do so isn't exactly a great show of character either.
Like in every scene there is sell outs, haters, trolls and genuinely decent people.

I figure this whole mess will leave quite some bridges burned though.

Last edited:
I think an easy and convenient way of donating would be ideal - and again, no cut for the game developers. If they absolutely must profit from the work of others, then make it a symbolic amount.

You might as well give half your house away to the manufacturers of the tools you bought to build it with.

They released a game with great modding tools. Don't let the creative community suffer from endless speculation and corrupt motivation.

Great work will reward itself.

Counter to what Fluent seems to think, it often takes actual work to reap the rewards - and I think that's very appropriate. I'd hate to see people exploiting the community in full DLC style.

So, after the community downvoting Gabe Newell on reddit to oblivion, he pulled the plug, the shitstorm is over.

Honestly, didn't expect the cancellation but lowered fee.
Almost quit my job to make millions by selling different horse armor on Workshop.

new mod i did really quick.. i call it "Gabe for one day" :)

m73hr.jpg

up1n5.jpg

:rotfl:

Back
Top Bottom