Extraversion and introversion

zakhal

SasqWatch
Self-discovery is always thought important.
The trait of Extraversion-Introversion is a central dimension of human personality. Extraverts (also spelled extroverts[1]) are gregarious, assertive, and generally seek out excitement. Introverts, in contrast, are more reserved, less outgoing, and less sociable. They are not necessarily asocial, but they tend to have smaller circles of friends, and are less likely to thrive on making new social contacts.

Extraversion and introversion are typically understood as a single continuum. Thus, to be high on one is necessarily to be low on the other. That said, people fluctuate in their behavior all the time, and even extreme introverts and extraverts do not always act consistently.
Which one are you?
Extraversion
Extraverts typically thrive in large groups.

Extraversion is "the act, state, or habit of being predominantly concerned with and obtaining gratification from what is outside the self".[3] Extraverts tend to enjoy human interactions and to be enthusiastic, talkative, assertive, and gregarious. They take pleasure in activities that involve large social gatherings, such as parties, community activities, public demonstrations, and business or political groups. Acting, teaching, directing, managing, brokering are fields that favor extraversion. An extraverted person is likely to enjoy time spent with people and find less reward in time spent alone. They enjoy risk-taking and often show leadership abilities.[4]

An extravert is energized when around other people. Extraverts tend to "fade" when alone and can easily become bored without other people around. Extraverts tend to think as they speak. When given the chance, an extravert will talk with someone else rather than sit alone and think.

[edit] Introversion
Introverts often enjoy solitary activities like reading.

Introversion is "the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life".[3] Introverts tend to be low-key, deliberate, and relatively passive in social situations.[citation needed] They often take pleasure in solitary activities such as reading, writing, drawing, watching movies, and using computers. The archetypal artist, writer, sculptor, composer, and inventor are all highly introverted. An introvert is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people, though they tend to enjoy interactions with close friends. They prefer to concentrate on a single activity at a time and like to observe situations before they participate.[5] Introverts are easily overwhelmed by too much stimulation from social gatherings and engagement. They are more analytical before speaking.[6]

Introversion is not the same as shyness. Introverts choose solitary over social activities by preference, whereas shy people avoid social encounters out of fear.[7]
From my personal history I can clearly see that I have fluctuated between those two. 8 years ago there was a period where I was cleary an extravert - I joined all kinds of activities to meet new people. I had huge amounts of social capital. Since then it has been a slow downhill and I feel like an introvert nowadays - Id like to spend more time just alone (just to finish few games). I have only a handful of social contacts left from those days but the som I have are very strong.

Last edited:
I was a lot more social when I was young--now I kind of find it tiring. :) But I think I've always been more intro than extra--most of us are a mix of both, I think.

One of the things I think is driving the popularity of online gaming is that it allows introverts to socialize in a non-physical way--if you're shy or reluctant to mingle in person? Anyone who games online a lot have any thoughts about that?

I would think most gamers are, at their core, introverts!!

I would think most gamers are, at their core, introverts!!
Can't deny that, although perhaps it's now less true in general than it's ever been. But when you're talking about CRPG gamers... well this is a hobby that does lend itself to a certain kind of person.

I'm both an introvert, and an excellent sitter-downer. I also really know how to work a mouse. That's Yeesh in a nutshell.

Introvert- always have been.... and the more time I spend with my cats the less I like spending time with humans.

I was a lot more social when I was young--now I kind of find it tiring. :) But I think I've always been more intro than extra--most of us are a mix of both, I think.

One of the things I think is driving the popularity of online gaming is that it allows introverts to socialize in a non-physical way--if you're shy or reluctant to mingle in person? Anyone who games online a lot have any thoughts about that?

Yes, you are right, then I think that gamers actually can be SOMEONE in these online games, to mean SOMETHING and that is very tempting. Part of this is because these virtual worlds are better than our real world, are not so complicated and they have very sctrictly defined rules and when you brake them, you are punished (or even banned). That's not much a case of real world....

By the way I don't consider myself to be introvert (I don't play MMORPG, I tried but found out that it was not for me and I don't have a time for it either) but truth is that I speak only when I have something to say :))) (with some exceptions :)))

I think, the Codex is full of extroverts.

Carpet crawlers and evening callers, ya gotta get in to get out.. out.. out.. out..out.

I'm a confident introvert, and my girlfriend is an insecure extrovert, which seems to work pretty well.

I probably come across more extroverted online though because I have spare time at work and it doesn't really feel properly like talking to actual people.

I do see a lot of traits in me of an extrovert like:
enthusiastic, talkative
Extraverts tend to think as they speak. When given the chance, an extravert will talk with someone else rather than sit alone and think.

But on the other hand:
my group of friends is a small but really close group of friends
and If I read the part of introverts I see me nogging a lot.

So I am defintely an introvert.
Always have been always will be
I am an outcast most of the time and a freak but I like that place :)
Besides I am a metalfan and I think most of who listen Metal are like that too.

Back
Top Bottom