how old are you? and how often do you play?

Level 59. Married. Two daughters at 33 and 34, both eft home a long time ago. Working 37.5 hours a week. Used to work a lot overtime, and had ane extra job or two, not anymore.

So I have more time for playing than 20 years ago, still the time spent gaming have decreased. I guess I spend 5-10 hours a week playing, occasionally more. Additionally, I don't play many games, as I tend to spend a lot of time on the games I play. For some reason I like constantly creating new characters in stead of levelling just one. Silly.

pibbur who is pibbur in most of the games he's playing

EDIT: No, I'm not bothered by the time available for gaming. I am however bothered by my backlog, which I have no chance of emptying unless I retire now and live till I'm 100+ years.

nice, didn't expect that much answers, but as said, the genre speaks for itself.

my question to you all, does it bother you that your gaming time diminished, or that your appetite is also less?

I guess everyone here would like to have more time to play games, but I remember when i was jobless and had *too* much time to play(MMO, replaying RPGs) it didn't help me feel happy. I guess I'm saying that i think my "appetite" is more narcotic in nature than real fun.

Well my time hasn't really diminished but I can say that my appetite is a healthy one. In my mind way to many people do what they think other people (i.e. society) think they should do with their lives. For example say you had a year left to live some might say you should travel, jump from planes, do all kinds of exciting stuff. Meet people, be social, go out and live your life damn it!

I, on the other hand, would stock up on espresso, games, and books and sink myself into worlds of fantasy and fun combined with a LOT of time with my dog exploring nature - walks in the woods, picnics by the river, just sitting outside and enjoying the rain from my deck or walking in it.

Point being life is what it is and then you die and that is it. Do what makes you happy not what you think is the societal definition of happiness. For me part of my own definition is gaming as I enjoy fantasy - whether it be books, writing, or fantasy games.

Age 37 and not currently in a relationship. On paper, I've got a 37 hour work week - but I end up actively working much less. Still, there are times when I more than earn my keep, so it's all good.

I can't honestly tell you how much I game, as there's really no pattern left. As I've gotten older, it takes more and more to engage me, and I sometimes go for months without really playing much. But I've never FULLY stopped playing - and I always test new games that are of remote interest to me, even if only for 15 minutes or whatever.

Then there will be times when I suddenly get my old passion back, and I'll go for months playing pretty intensively - though still nothing like I used to. I most often game during the weekends and holidays, as I rarely enjoy short gaming sessions. The exception would be when I've got a nice new MMO to play around with, because they're so structured and predictable - that I can easily get something out of an hour or two.

Since I work, tend to my family, have friends and a dog, lift weights and excercise to stay in shape - I don't really have that much time during a normal weekday.

If I absolutely had to tell you an average amount of time each week, I'd take a rough guess and say between 6 and 12 hours per week.

Right now, it seems I'm in quite a gaming mood - as I've greatly enjoyed playing Risen 3 for a long time - and I've played quite a few other games as well. So, it's a good time.

I used to play so much that I've yet to be able to let it go, even when I'm not interested in any game for extended periods of time. When I'm in that non-gaming phase, I feel literally lost to be honest. I go around not really knowing what the hell I want to do, and though I dabble in reading or watching some show, I can't truly stop thinking about what I should be playing. It's pretty stupid.

42, married with 2 kids. Own my own business which takes up 60-70 hours a week so I typically play very little 5 hours or so on weekdays at night when everyone is a sleep and maybe a 3 to 4 hours on the weekends.

I don't know if my desire has diminished but my lack of time to play long sessions has really affected my gaming.

Often I'll have 1/2 an hour or an hour to play but I won't feel its worth it to start playing a 100 hour RPG. I don't feel like I can accomplish anything in that short of a time so I usually just end up surfing the web.

If a game I'm really looking forward to comes out I'll sneak a day off or 2 to get time to play it or I'll just sleep less. When dark souls 2 came out for instance I took a couple Mondays off and played about 3 hours a night after family went to bed. That left me with about 3 hours of sleep a night though. I can do that in short burst but I'm too old to do it regularly.

40 with a wife and two kids.

Its the usual story for me too. I dont have as much spare time as I used to have but on average I play one hour a day. And because of that i find myself being more picky then i used to be. Still paying original sin, but because it takes a lot of time i don't have time to play a game like Risen 3.

35, no kids, but I don't relish gaming as much as I once did these days. I just don't get as much fulfillment from it and tend to get distracted by other things if I do hunker down for a session.

Love reading all of these - some I knew, others are new. :)

I am 48, married just over 22 years, with two sons. One is about to turn 18 and a senior in high school so we spent the summer touring colleges. The other is 16.5 and a junior in high school, so those tours also included looking at schools that interested him :) My family is my primary focus aside from my job as statistician and measurement engineer for that company that makes the glass on your phone/tablet/PC/TV. ;)

My gaming has decreased dramatically over the last few years ... at first displaced by reviewing more gadgets and gear, then more supplanted by my re-setting my music studio and getting that going again, as well as marathon running ... I typically run at least 12 hours per week. But I still get in a few hours (~5 - 10 )per week of gaming.

35, married but no kids. I work about 9/10 hours a day as software developer.

Before marriage I used to spent 60 - 70 hours a week on gaming. Most of that is on MMOs. However this caused problem with the wife and I am down to like 10 - 15 hours a week now. I have pretty much stopped playing MMOs and all my gaming time is now spent on single player RPGs. My appetite for gaming hasn't changed so I can sometime get angry with my wife however I am lot fitter now days. We go to swimming together 3 or 4 times a week, go out and meet friends and she make me sleep on time! So overall I am better off now and I have my wife to thank for that! However once in while when a game I really want to play come out then I am allowed few days of gaming binge :p

56, long term relationship (over 30 years) with no kids.
Used to game a lot when first out of university (Zork, Zork II occupied many many hours), then little gaming then another major burst with Civ I & SimCity. Another gap as working overseas and on an OS/2 platform (only decent game was Gal Civ). Then unwell for a long period, no real gaming, then BG I & II on a friends suggestion and hooked again!
Like pibbur my backlog has almost reached hyper-dimensional status. In terms of time spent each week, it depends and regular (when not on vacation) is about 15-30 hours per week. If my current work is very intellectually demanding (I consult on IT strategy & enterprise architecture and also research EA) then my hours drop a bit and I go back to old favorites such as ME2, Witcher I.

55(double nickel):biggrin: Not sure I can do anything as long as I use to.

I still own my own business with 50-55 hours per week and sometimes can find time to game with the weight lifting slowing down but I still love it. My fingers and feet get numb a bit so I switch in a bit of walking instead. I ran the mini marathons when I was younger and am thinking of starting them up again.

Eight children have come through our house with 3 still remaining. I get home after picking up kids from activities and after hanging out a while I get about 1-1/2 to 2 hours per night. Once the snow flies I am home and inside more often so that number goes up.

The strange thing is as I get more active during the summer and do less gaming, my wife increases hers. She is a real MMO fiend lately.

I'm 42, with no major responsibilities I can call to mind at the moment, although it's possible that they've all just briefly left the room and I've forgotten them. Who can say?

I play too much.

44, and not much time left for playing right now. Usually 2 hours a day left.
That was different during the last years (apart from me being younger, too ;) ).
Still looking for a girlfriend (my last 3 relatively short-timed attempts didn't work out right).

I'm still in my 20s! Well, 29. Almost 30 actually. Which means still in my 20s!

At any rate, I play about 20 hours a week I'd say, but I tend to take some time off from work when a big RPG is released, such as Risen 3, PoE or DA: I. For example, if a game is released on a Thursday, I take two days (Thursday + Friday) off from work, and play a lot those days.

It's usually not a problem, as we have flexible work hours, so I can solve it by working overtime when there aren't any interesting games to play.

I'm 43. Work about 45 hours a week. Have an older house so there seems to be always something to fix and I like to bicycle for fun and fitness which doesn't leave alot of time for gaming or reading. I probably average 10 hours a week but it jumps up a good bit during Winter.

I used to game alot. I could come home from work, jump in an online game and the next thing I knew it was dawn and time for me to go back to work. Now I just can't stay up like that plus I need my beauty sleep.

Bicycling in Houston in the summertime sounds like torture and self mutilation, but hey maybe you do it indoors :)

The heat only started to bother me in the last few years. I was pretty immune to it till about 40. Now I know what everyone else complained about. The cold I don't like much.

34, married, child of 5 months. 40+ hours job and I've finished my PhD thesis in the last months, so my available gaming time has dimished significantly. Having hobbies like playing football and basketball, going out with friends or playing PnP doesn't help here.

So currently I don't have more than 5-10 hours a week.

Hope that it'll increase in the next months. Children need less time when they grow up, right? RIGHT?!

30, gaming is usually restricted to Friday nights, Saturdays when I'm not working, and Sunday after church. I had more time, but I'm taking on additional responsibilities outside of work, which take up a couple hours a day now.

Friday is usually 4-6 hours. Saturday it depends on if I decided to watch movies or whatever, or game, but it can stretch out to 12-14 hour sessions. Sunday is closer to 4-6 hours, since I have to hit the sack early for work.

Back
Top Bottom