Undertale - Battle Options and Design @ Gamasutra

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamasutra takes a look at the choices and consequences and the design of the action based RPG battles in Undertale:

How Undertale makes you think hard before killing monsters

"You kill a lot of random monsters (sometimes even humans) in every RPG and the consequences for this are never addressed. What if they were?"

The monsters in Toby Fox's Undertale are an unassuming lot. Some of them want you to eat your veggies. Some of them want to know what you think of their hat. Some of them just want to be petted.

They're not exactly a fearsome bunch, but neither was that grinning slime many of us saw during our first few minutes with Dragon Quest decades ago. That didn't stop us from splattering it into smears of jelly for the miniscule amounts of EXP and gold it was carrying, beginning a streak of violence that has gone largely unchallenged in RPGs since their inception.

Fox asks us to question ourselves and the violence we commit in RPGs with Undertale. He does so by making the violence completely optional, asking that the player make a conscious choice to do harm.

Unlike the various slimes and goblins you HAVE to fight in many other games, it's entirely possible for the player to make their way through Undertale without harming a soul.

[...]
Game Design Deep Dive: Undertale's action-based RPG battles

Who: Toby Fox

Hi, my name is Toby Fox. I'm an indie game developer from the United States. I started Undertale, my RPG game, on a whim during a break from college classes in 2013. After working for a few months, I released a demo of the game's first area.

After seeing the demo's warm reception, I launched a Kickstarter campaign that Spring that earned $50,000 -- $45,000 more than its $5,000 goal. Using this, I continued work on the game until its release in September 2015.

What: Undertale's action-battles

I created the battle engine before I made any other aspect of the game. Everything came from that.

[...]
More information.

Back
Top Bottom