Dragon Age: Inquisition - First look at the PC UI

I hope this isn't a compromise to accommodate controllers, nothing gets my goat as much as that.

I hope this isn't a compromise to accommodate controllers, nothing gets my goat as much as that.

If you use a controller the UI will switch to the console version.

They may be limiting the skill slots to 8 to be more tactical, i.e. you have to carefully choose which 8 skills to roll with for each particular battle.

It could sort of be similar to how memorizing spells worked in Baldur's Gate.

Secret World limited the number of slots for active and passive skills to 7 each. So you have to choose. Guild wars 1 had similar restrictions methinks. None of those had console versions. I like that, just as I prefer very limited funds, so that you have to choose carefully what equipment to buy.

Pibbur who also thinks that sometimes less is less..

Looks fine to me. I see no reason to have more than 32 abilities per party in any given battle, especially since they can probably be combined like in DA and DA2 (spell X + spell Y = much bigger boom).

This limitation isn't necessarily a big deal - and it will depend on how the abilities interact. The key is that you have interesting and hard choices - and that every ability has a place.

That said, nothing is worse than 32 abilities that are all equally useful in all situations. I love quirky stuff that only works for some characters in specific scenarios - as long as they're effective in that instance.

One of the issues of modern game design is the obsession with scaling and simplifying how players progress. It has become the norm to make all choices effective and obvious - which means there's no foundation for interesting strategies.

Also, while some games do retain interesting tactical considerations - that's only half the fun of combat. Without the strategy - you're left with a lesser game.

The original Dragon Age was very simplistic EXCEPT when it came to magic. It had a respectable selection of spells and they worked well together. But if you were a melee or ranged character - you had but one or two choices overall, and the rest was just following a clear path. Your role was extremely simple during all combat scenarios as well.

So, I very much hope they expand on that. But we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom