Bioshock - Xbox Demo Live

I've seen plenty of benches where the GTX chokes and dies on the current DX10 games, at best it's barely playable.

What current DX10 games? Heres som info on dx10 bioshock:

How does the DX10 version compare to the 360 graphics? And DX9?
The 360 and DX9 graphics are roughly equivalent. The DX10 graphics add a few additional features and image quality enhancements on top of this.

What kind of frame rates can you expect using an 8600 card and DX10?
Depends on what detail settings you use and what resolution as well as your CPU. Obviously this card will support the game pretty well though, so I would expect at least 30-40 FPS on high detail.

Apparently even 8600 can run dx10 bioshock on high detail and get decent fps.

Not sure though if "few additional features" is worth the hassle of installing a dualboot vista that costs 100-200€ and is a pain in the ass to manage if you like to tinker with your hardware.

I quote from your link:

What does that say for the future of DX10 gaming? Well, this is just one game, but if the trend continues it could mean we will need faster video cards to experience DX10 the way it should be seen. Whether that be because drivers are lacking in performance, or Vista and DX10 are somehow slowing down performance we do not know. Then again, this could just be a problem with this one game. For all we know Crysis or other DX10 games will behave differently. We can’t formulate a trend yet, but by evaluating this game right here, right now, we can start on that path. Everyone is waiting on Crysis among others such as UT3, Bioshock, GTA4, and so are we. We will be paying attention to these new games and their performance scaling in both DX9 and DX10, and of course passing that information along to you.

DX10 drivers, Vista or poor coding of the game theres many possible reasons for the low performance. Its too early to formulate a trend. Lets atleast see how bioshock will run 1st.

Its too early to formulate a trend. Lets atleast see how bioshock will run 1st.

Here's another article with a somewhat revealing headline from Anandtech where they compare the DX10 vs DX9 performance of Lost Planet, Call of Juarez and Company of Heroes: Real World DirectX 10 Performance: It Ain't Pretty . I think it's pretty clear from that test that current gen hardware just isn't up to the task of DirectX 10 yet. I agree that one should wait for Bioshock benchmark results but there's an excellent chance it will run like a pig in DirectX 10 mode simply because the 8800/2900 cards are the limiting factor.

zakhal,
You pick the only thing that's not even remotely negative about the article and DX10 and it's just neutral. Why do you have such a hard on for DX10? Every single DX10 game out right now runs like a pig....Why does this bother you?

Here's another article with a somewhat revealing headline from Anandtech where they compare the DX10 vs DX9 performance of Lost Planet, Call of Juarez and Company of Heroes: Real World DirectX 10 Performance: It Ain't Pretty . I think it's pretty clear from that test that current gen hardware just isn't up to the task of DirectX 10 yet. I agree that one should wait for Bioshock benchmark results but there's an excellent chance it will run like a pig in DirectX 10 mode simply because the 8800/2900 cards are the limiting factor.

Bioshock devs promise 30-40 FPS for 8600 on high settings. Why would they lie about it? Well see soon enough.

zakhal,
You pick the only thing that's not even remotely negative about the article and DX10 and it's just neutral. Why do you have such a hard on for DX10?

On the same occasion I must ask why do you have such a hard on to bring down dx10?

I picked the quote because it was exactly what I was about to write before I read the link and Im a lazy person that likes to copy-paste.

Personally I can say that its good news that dx10 is failing (if the situation doesnt improve), because then I can stay away from Vista (well atleast for a while longer).

Every single DX10 game out right now runs like a pig....Why does this bother you?

Runs like pig? I.E Company of Heroes DX10 runs up to 55 frames per second. AFAIK thats pretty good performance.

Also Id like to ask how many dx10 games are there currently - two or three? Its totally new tech on a very unstable platform called vista with bad drivers even. Whats the rush to make the final judgement so quickly?

Last edited:
I never did, her eI shall quote myself

"Current card are not fast enough to properly use DX10 and the current slight visual benefits in no way make up for the 50% FPS loss."

Now out of that post how do you get I am saying DX10 is poor in any way? I said current cards do not support it and you started argiung that I Was wrong for saying that.

CoH DX10 does run like a pig, that 55fps is 1/3 of the DX9 speed, with very little visual improvement. If you think that is pretty good for the fastest card out there, you're off your rocker.

CoH DX10 does run like a pig, that 55fps is 1/3 of the DX9 speed, with very little visual improvement. If you think that is pretty good for the fastest card out there, you're off your rocker.

I still remember when top graphics cards got only like 50-60 frames best in new games. Anything above 30 is playable allready so 55 is plenty. DX10 games are definetly new so im not expecting to get like 150 frames or somthing.

Granted the visuals seem to be non-existing. I dont see any real improvement atleast on the pictures ive seen between dx9 and 10. Its more like "different" than improved. But this is just the start. Once coders get more experience on dx10 the difference might actually become reality.

Back
Top Bottom