World Cup of soccer 2010

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
I know there are some soccer fans here, so I thought I'd start a thread about this…. I had a memory of an old thread… but I couldn't find it so here it goes.

How do you think will win? I think england and holland will be dangerous this year….. but it is hard to say.

There is a website I go to where you can pick all the results and compete against others, it is a lot of fun and they also have prizes, so if you are in to that sort of thing here it is: http://www.insidenation.com/Soccer-Challenge

While sweden unfortunately didn't make it this year, we have two coaches in the tournament for Ivory Coast and Nigeria….. so I guess we were not lacking in the brains department at least :D

Last edited:
While I don't follow soccer, I know Australia is competing, so obviously I'd like them to win. Unlikely, but who knows!! :)

Can somebody who knows more about soccer than me explain why the first goal Germany scored against Australia was not offsides? All the Australians thought it was. I thought it was. Was it just a really bad non-call or is there a reason why it was not offsides?

attachment.php

not offside

look here

The german player who gets the ball is not offside in the moment of ball passing, the other german player is not involved in the play = not relevant for the offside rule.

Attachments

• Aus_Ger.JPG
    Aus_Ger.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
That's called "passive offside". The player is neither directly involved in this scene nor does he disturb the goalkeeper.

Naturally this rule is open for interpretation by the referees. Of course the other player disturbs the defense just by being there. It's the referees' job to decide to what degree. It was probably a good idea the passive offside player didn't even try to get the diagonal backward pass a second later.

Not offside. A clear goal.
I think the cup will end up in European hands. For now Spain looks the best team but i have doubts about taking a second cup in a row.
We will see.

The link to the vid is no longer valid, but thanks for the explanation. The only soccer I ever watch is the World Cup, so I know very little about the game. It looked kind of like the Aussies gave up on the play, thinking it was offsides. The announcers did a poor job of explaining it I thought. Or they thought their audience would and/or should be knowledgeable about the sport. Probably the latter.

It looked kind of like the Aussies gave up on the play, thinking it was offsides.

That would be naive. One of the first unwritten rules a player is taught is "It's only offside if the referee whistles!"
Imperfect referee decisions are part of the game. There's even a rule that every explicit or implicit (-> see something, decide not to act) decision made by the referee is final, no matter if objectively right or wrong.

I expected a more interesting performance from both the Dutch and the Danes today. Especially the Danes played as if they found the mere idea of offense repulsive. An inch-perfect own goal, though, and a combinational one at that.

I expected a more interesting performance from both the Dutch and the Danes today.

Players declared that the height was bothering both ball and breath. (Soccer City in Johannesburg is at 1700 metres.) As for the ball: the height seems to affect the course and the speed of the ball.

Switzerland Spain 1:0!!! Ruined my bet, but totally made my day! Hopp Schwiiiz!

A ball hits a US player in the face and he gets a yellow card, and then we have a goal inexpicably disallowed, with the referee saying after the game "no comment". I thought this tournament would also include world class officials as well as players, but I guess I was wrong.

In the vast majority of the games the referees have been world class, though. And besides, even world class referees makes mistakes.

Übereil

Its not the mistake that bothers me. It's the fact that he won't admit he made a mistake is what gets me. No explanation for disallowing the goal. None. Are you kidding me? Jim Joyce screwed a kid out of a perfect game by making a horrible call. What did he do? He manned up and admitted he screwed up and apologized. The fact that neither the official nor FIFA will admit it was a bad call is the problem. Officials in sports have a tough job to do, and they don't get the luxury like watching a replay in slow motion like we all do. They have to make a decision on lightning fast plays immediately. Mistakes will happen. I understand that. But explain WHY the goal was disallowed or admit you screwed up. That's not too much to ask of an official in a world class sporting event, is it?

USA has been real unlucky in world cup, they had a penatly and red card against Germany cooming to them..... but the referee did not see that the german player used his hand to block the ball.... and now this. I hope US will win against Algeria and move on to the knockout round as they deserve.

Australia have been very unlucky in this world cup. That was NOT a red card material, that last night's match. We should have won!!!

Now both Korea and Australia must win next game to stay in world cup.

Korea winning against Nigeria AND Greece losing to Argentina has pretty good chance of happening.

Australia is in much difficult situation... sigh.

Back
Top Bottom