HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Good reviews for Rebel Galaxy keep coming:

High-Def Digest:
Introduction
Developed by Double Damage Games, 'Rebel Galaxy' is a capital spaceship sim. Double Damage is led by Erich Schaefer, co-founder of Blizzard North, and Travis Baldree, creator of 'Fate'. The two previously collaborated at Runic Games, where they made 'Torchlight'.

The Game Itself: Our Reviewer's Take

'Rebel Galaxy' is mostly about space combat, but perhaps not as most players are accustomed to it. The ship is huge, definitely a capital vessel, not one of the tiny dogfighters that can be found in most sims. Most of the enemies, however, are dogfighters. When they swarm together like flies, they become a threat. Even with many of them on the field, the stalwart capital can take a beating. As the pilot I am expected to manage and track all targets, no matter how fast and tiny they are, keep enemy fire distributed across my shields evenly so as to avoid disastrous hull breaches, and blow up incoming projectiles, not to mention actually moving my ship around. Being a spaceship pilot is a tough job, but in 'Rebel Galaxy' it’s also a blast.

[…]

Final Thoughts:

'Rebel Galaxy' comes out of left field - an adept and fun space sim from two developers who have spent decades working on RPGs. If you have ever wanted to fly a capital ship of your very own and blow up pirates (or become one), your opportunity has arrived at last.

Score: 4/5
Brutal Gamer:
You just barely survived your latest skirmish with some bandits, shields are busted. Ammo depleted. You jump to warp toward the nearest space stationCA to patch up whats left of your ship. And then you are pulled out of warp by a group of hostiles. What do you do?

This was exactly what happened to me while playing Rebel Galaxy. Battered and bruised, I thought I was a goner. Hit the boosters and let my hired mercenary tend to the hostiles around us. I was having none of this right now, I needed to repair my ship. Now.

You are a young budding pilot who recieved a cryptic message from your Aunt Juno, leading you to strike out and find her. Find her you do, and along the way you will mine asteroids, scavenge wreckages, deal with aliens and battle space pirates. Are you a do-gooder? A shifty privateer? Perhaps a crafty space trader? I’ll bet you land somewhere in between.

[…]

If you enjoy RPGs, simulators and/or Sci-fi, then you will want to pick up Rebel Galaxy.

Available October 20, 2015 on Steam and GOG. Playstation 4, Xbox ONE and Mac versions will be available later in 2015. Check listings for announced date.

Run to your nearest Commodity Market and grab your copy today!

Score: 9.5 / 10
TMC:
In a backwater region of space, a single vessel embarks on a tireless crusade to bring Justice to the people. In an indistinguishable system, another ship undocks, bristling with mining lasers, to make its way to a nearby asteroid field in search of hidden riches. And elsewhere, a third craft sets off hunting miners, traders, and merchants; a captain out to make name for themselves as a pirate, the law be damned!

[…]

Even in the face of those minor flaws, though, Rebel Galaxy looks to be a solid single-player entry into a genre rapidly filling with multi-player offerings. While it may not feature the slick ship design of Star Citizen, or the massive combats of EVE Online, Rebel Galaxy does give its players something none of the other recent offerings do: a sandbox game where they can get their fix for explosions and making money in a quick, limited investment of time. If you’ve got half an hour, you can get in a mission, maybe two. And if you have more time, longer missions and battles await - all in a backwater cluster of systems in a part of the galaxy where decent people are scarce, but opportunities abound.
More information.

Long. The galaxy is generated with about 10-15 solar systems from the looks of it. Each one has tons to do in it! You could be a fighter for a while and decide you enjoy trading more and become a merchant instead. Would love to see DLC for this game and I haven't even played it yet :)

The brutal gamer review reads as written by someone who had never played video games before.

Watched twenty min of this stuff, hard to see what they claim to see.

Back
Top Bottom