Eschalon: Questions on underground areas

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist
Ok, so I downloaded the demo and am playing through it a bit.

So far, I find it very impressive, though I'm having a bit of a tough time getting into the story. My intrigue picked up once I actually got to the second town and started talking to people.

Anyway, a couple of thoughts/questions:

1) Took me forever to figure out that the mini-map doesn't start showing up until you get some cartography skill. Cool idea, but wish I had known when I made my character. Anyway, does the mini-map function in underground areas?

2) I'm using a torch for light in the 'cellar' in the original town. Is there a better option? It doesn't seem to illuminate much and I find myself really getting lost (especially without the mini-map) since I can't seem more than a few tiles in any direction.

I'm 50/50 on if I'm going to continue to play. I like supporting independent games, but like I said, it just hasn't grabbed me yet.

The mini map works everywhere and gets MUCH more detailed as you increase your skill. I seem to remember a light spell being available, but not sure. Finding torches was a pain, but in a sense quite realistic!!

Yeah, it definitely seems realistic, just a bit TOO realistic!

I may have to start over and give a bunch of my skill points to cartography

Cartography at 2 points works fairly well for me so far.
You've hit on one of my big problems with the torch/dungeon blindness thing, bn. Not to mention-I thought I was experiencing the first signs of glaucoma the first time the sun set. ;) So now I just plan on hitting the campfire at sundown and I'm avoiding the dungeons. Probably not an option for forever though.

There's a spell (and a potion) called Cat's Eye--anyone know how well that works?

Yes, the cartography skill is essential. Still, if you'd prefer your points elsewhere, it can be bought in the first town after a quest, and that's the path I've chosen for every game after my first (100 gp or 3 skill points, I think the choice is clear). The minimap works just as well in dungeons too. And aye, as Corwin said, higher level skill will show more detail, and if you get it insanely high, you'll even be able to see monsters moving about!

I'm not sure about the spells, I've never actually used them (there's also Predator's Sight in addition to Cat's Eye). Still, I think they just increase your ToHit in the dark. So yeah, torches all the way - I personally can see fine even without a torch, so you could always try upping your monitor brightness. Also note that you can pick up torches from sconces, and they also have a weight (a small one, but it might be a consideration for weak (mage) characters).

I used Cat Eyes spell with a divination somehwere around 10 and I think the spell level was 4 or 5. It only provides a very dull glow in the immediate vacinity around your character... I'd say the torches provide better light and have a bit farther reach. So, in my opinion, the spell was mainly beneficial for combat advantage -
no torch = big, bad shield!!

I seem to remember that Cat Eyes lets you attack without a darkness penalty on your attack rolls. The enemy will hit much less often in the dark than you will.

Wait until you get the lantern that gives a lot of light, and also a torch in combination with the cat eye skills allows you to see even better, I personaly love the darkness system, except for the exploits, that will be fixed in Escalon book 2.

The story picks up much a bit later in the game.

D.S. I am biased as I think the game is the best RPG in recent years.

Another advantage of Cat's Eyes is that it's hands-free. That's pretty important if you want to use a bow.

Yes, the cartography skill is essential. Still, if you'd prefer your points elsewhere, it can be bought in the first town after a quest, and that's the path I've chosen for every game after my first (100 gp or 3 skill points, I think the choice is clear). The minimap works just as well in dungeons too. And aye, as Corwin said, higher level skill will show more detail, and if you get it insanely high, you'll even be able to see monsters moving about!

Cool. What quest is it? I might have to head and do that right away!

Visit the tavern in the first town. Do the sailor's quest (not exactly an easy mission) and collect your reward.

Visit the tavern in the first town. Do the sailor's quest (not exactly an easy mission) and collect your reward.

Something about a sextant. I tried a mage due to Corwins recommendation, but I only had enough mana to take out two guys from that place. What I did, then, was to run for my life. Somehow I managed to loose my pursuers in the woods, and when I came back to the place, I was the only one there.

That's something I liked in the Gothic games too: running is an option, not only for chicken.

Last edited:
Is there some hot key that actually lets you run? I keep strolling at a mild pace while bats and other hostile creatures seem to run just fine. Of course, I can't see them running--or flying at high speed--because the %$#! torches seem to be designed only for a "dim, menacing" setting, but I assume that's how they're catching up with me.

Upside is you get to see that nice peaceful screen full of stars that says you've found your home in the great beyond. ;)

Nope, there's no running in the game, everyone moves at the same pace. If anything, a bug in the engine allows you to outrun most things if you keep your mouse pressed (effectively stealing an action for yourself every few turns - might've been fixed with 1.05, though). The core mechanic of the game is very simple - it's one tick you, one tick everyone else, where a tick is either a move or an attack (of course, this has been a point of criticism, because it also severely diminishes the tactical possibilities).

Ah, glad it isn't just me. I'll try the locked walk and see if that cheats me into a few more moments of life.

This would really be fun if you could roll a small party--say two or three. It would add a bit of strategy, too.

Several of us hit Basilisk up for a party, but it just didn't fit their plans. The story is written based on a single protagonist (you wouldn't really know that from the demo) and there would be significant changes to the coding to bring that to life. I agree with you, though--the excellent character development aspects of this game just beg for a party.

Maybe when they are all said and done, they'll release the source code and some user mods can be made to have a party!

I do agree though that it seems to set up well for a party. My interest level would likely be a lot higher too!

I seem to remember Thomas musing that Book 3 might include parties, but that was many moons ago and he wasn't making promises by any stretch. In fact, I remember that discussion coming during the "Assuming Book 1 sells well, what would you like to see us do for Book 2" era so I'm not sure we can hold Basilisk's feet to the fire over it.

Of course, we could wield the Watch's tremendous influence to start a groundswell based on a patently false rumor. I heard from a friend that talks to Thomas at Kroger every other Thursday that Book 3 will include parties unless 253,438 people sign an online petition insisting on a single avatar. I won't start that petition, I tell ya.
;)

Book 3 will most likely be single character as far as I know, however they all seem to get deeper with each game.

Back
Top Bottom