Mouse and keyboard lag. :(

D

Deleted User

Hey.

Hoping someone can lend a hand here.

I'm currently experiencing seemingly random keyboard and mouse lag. It's getting bad.

Keystrokes will be delayed and often missed. Mouse clicks won't register at times. The mouse movement looks like it's moving at 2 FPS across the screen - very sluggish.

Any ideas? I heard it could be a hard drive thing but I'm on an SSD, so...

Already had the Norton team scan my computer, no viruses or spyware.

Any tell-tale signs of something I should uninstall or something?

Sometimes restarting helps, lately it hasn't.

I have tried monitoring which background programs are running and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Could be missing something.

Have tried uninstalling-reinstalling both drivers for keyboard and mouse. Doesn't do anything.

Sometimes the computer will be working fine and then the issue starts, often after the computer being asleep for awhile and then coming back on. Usually I have to restart at this point because the lag is so horrendous.

Sometimes it works fine and nothing seems to be wrong.

Very strange. I am using a Japanese (or Korean, possibly, dunno) keyboard and mouse duo system. It worked fine for as long as I've had it and now this issue popped up, so not sure if it's related to the set.

Tried replacing batteries as well, that's not the issue.

Any ideas? o_O

press crtl+alt+del and go to task manager, processes... Any weird files using 100% cpu use? Weird files without description?

windows+r [msconfig], startup.... Anything weird on startup?

Near 100% CPU or near 100% disk use.
Since SSD is inside, I'd say disk use is not the culprit.

Assuming CPU is getting hammered, the usual suspects are:
- windows tips on win10 (disable that feature immediately)
- horrible antivirus and antimalware (uninstall it, if doesn't help it's easy to reinstall it back)
- scheduled unwanted processes (CCleaner and similar rubbish)

Switch to some old fashioned cabled mouse and keyboard for a few days, to make sure your mouse and keyboard are still okay.

A relative had strange mouse lag in Excel, making it impossible to use. The reason was a damaged mouse.

No, I'm certain it's not 100% CPU or disk use. I have tested thoroughly for that and I have a pretty rockin' computer right now, so that's not quite what is happening. Also looked for weird programs, etc., and had a professional virus scan team deeply scan my PC in several ways. Nothing turned up bad.

Perhaps this cheap brand of keyboard/mouse combo is just crapping out on me.

Will try disabling Windows tips, too. Also uninstalled Xbox 360 controller, but that had no effect whatsoever.

A relative had strange mouse lag in Excel, making it impossible to use. The reason was a damaged mouse.
I had a case where the user couldn't scroll with the mouse wheel anymore in IE or click on certain buttons in some programs, while it worked flawlessly in others. The symptoms made me think it was a driver fault or conflict in Windows, but as it turned out the DPI switch button on the (cableless) mouse was broken and constantly active, which led to all sorts of weird behavior.

Turns out it was the bluetooth adapter I was using. It was a USB one since I didn't include bluetooth into my PC build at the time since I didn't really use it then. Seems like 2 different bluetooth adapters I tried do the same thing, which is cause occasional lag spikes, make the mouse + keyboard not seem like they are not 60 FPS and get laggy and a feeling like they have low batteries. Weird. I'm using Windows 10. Is this a common issue with an easy fix?

I've found that keyboard and mice using Bluetooth always seem to end up with issues unless you spend eleventy billion dollars on them. Even most of the pro gaming keyboard and mice (which aren't popular) use standard 2.4 instead. I've always been amazed at the fact that PS controllers do as well as they do.

I've found that keyboard and mice using Bluetooth always seem to end up with issues unless you spend eleventy billion dollars on them. Even most of the pro gaming keyboard and mice (which aren't popular) use standard 2.4 instead. I've always been amazed at the fact that PS controllers do as well as they do.

Ah, my bad, I didn't explain it right. The keyboard and mouse are not bluetooth, they are simply USB wireless. The bluetooth adapter is a separate thing that I wanted to use to hook up headphones, etc., via bluetooth to my PC. The weird thing is, even though nothing is paired with the bluetooth adapter, after awhile I still get lag spikes for no real apparent reason. This happens with 2 different bluetooth USB dongles that I've tried. There's probably some weird setting or conflict somewhere but I really don't know what it is. At this point I just disconnected 'em and said forget it since my Astro mixamp and headphones started working again (miraculously).

Back
Top Bottom