The Bike Thread

Cannondale is a premium brand. That means they cost more, and they look prettier -- rounded-out weld seams, more layers of paint, that sort of thing. None of that will affect the ride.

If you're looking for value for money, by the way, often the best bargains to be had are among the big sporting-goods chain "house brands." In France, for example, lots of extremely good bikes are sold under the Decathlon brand. You have to watch out a bit with these, though, because the cheaper models are often "cheaped-out" in ways that are not immediately obvious. However, the ones in your price range will be very good and often better value for money than comparable "brand-name" bikes.

One independent brand I like a lot is Lapierre. They have a broad range of bikes, and they're very well-designed, well-made, and well-rounded but have no extra frills, and are very aggressively priced. (They look rather... utilitarian, though.)

I wouldn't know if they're available in your neck of the woods, but it might be worth checking out.

Seems I'm back in the bike market. Haven't ridden in quite a few years, but recently have started working out and eating clean to lose weight. So I thought I'd also jump back into riding to add some more weight-loss to the picture.

I've had quite a admiration for Scott bikes for some time, so I thought I'd get one. I've ordered the 2019 model of the Scale 930. It should be coming in stock in January from what my local bike store is telling me. So I've got more time to go 100% into losing weight. But I'm so hyped about the bike. I think it looks gorgeous. And it's quite a jump from my previous bike (Focus Black Hills), both in price and components.

Frame
Scale 3 Carbon / IMP technology / HMF
BB92 / SW DM dropouts for Boost 12x148mm
SDS2 advanced Shock & Standing Damping System
ICCR Cable routing

Fork
FOX 32 Float Rhythm
Grip 3 / 3-Modes / 15x110mm QR axle / tapered steerer
Reb. Adj. / Lockout / 100mm travel

Remote System
SCOTT RideLoc Technology / below bar remote
3 modes / integ. Grip clamp

Headset
Syncros Pro Drop in / Tapered 1.5"-1 1/8"
bearing diameter size 42mm and 52mm

Rear Derailleur
SRAM GX / Eagle 12 Speed

Shifters
SRAM NX Eagle Trigger

Brakes
Shimano MT400 Disc
180/F and 160/R mm SM-RT54 CL Rotor

Crankset
SRAM NX Eagle DUB Boost
32T

Chainguide
SCOTT custom

BB-Set
SRAM DUB PF integrated / shell 41x92mm

Handlebar
Syncros FL2.0 T-Bar / Alloy 6061
T shape Flat / 9° / 720mm
Syncros Pro lock-on grips

H'stem
Syncros FL2.0
6° / integrated Spacer & Top Cup
6061 Alloy / 31.8mm / 1 1/8"

Seatpost
Syncros FL2.5
31.6x400mm

Seat
Syncros XR2.0 / CROM rails

Hub (Front)
Shimano HB-MT400-B CL / 15x110mm

Hub (Rear)
Shimano FH-MT400-B CL / Boost 12x148mm

Chain
SRAM CN NX Eagle

Cassette
SRAM NX / XG1230 / 11-50 T

Spokes
Stainless Black 15G / 1.8mm

Rims
Syncros X-25 / 32H / 25mm
Tubeless ready

Tires
Schwalbe Rocket Ron Performance / 2.25"
67EPI Kevlar Bead / TL-ready
Addix compound

What's the best budget MTB I can buy in the U.S. for around $500? I'd like it to be as lightweight as possible since I'll be regularly carrying it up & down a flight of stairs and storing it in a small apartment. Will use it mostly for grocery runs where I'll attach a front basket and rear rack for grocery panniers but also would like a smooth ride for occasional exercise rides. The reason I want it to be a MTB is because I may have to ride it in winter in snowy areas but with streets plowed by the city. I figure a MTB would have better, safer maneuverability in these conditions. I'd also prefer the crossbar to be diagonal since I have trouble with long pants getting a leg over otherwise and the rear rack makes it difficult to do it from the back. I could swing $1000 but I don't want it to be a thief magnet.

Back
Top Bottom