Risen - Nightwish Trailer

Typical. Cliché. "Dark Passion Play".

Now if there was a record called "Light Passion Play", no-one would buy it.

Maybe they should implement some pop music to make the game brighter and happier?

Watched it, finally.

IMHO this is by far the best trailer ever for any PB game. Not that this means much. Trailers are not exactly PB's strength. ;)

Alrik, that's because Light Passion would be a contradiction, passion being sinful and all.

On a different note, I have to agree with the other posters who said that Metal can be appreciated. Back in the 90s or so, I hated Metal. A couple friends were listening to it regularly, but to my ears it wasn't music at all. With the advent of sub-genres like Symphonic Metal, melodious Metal or genre mixes in general that started to change. Nightwish helped a lot too, of course.

And then there's the strange fact that while Metal bands mostly produce very "hard" music, they occasionally make some wonderful ballads and acoustic songs, which to me has always seemed like a contradiction. Being a bit of a fantasy nerd I loved those slow pieces - which in return made me appreciate some faster pieces too.

Here are two fine examples for ballads:

Blind Guardian - The Bard's Song
Demons and Wizards - Fiddler on the Green

It´s on Dark Passion Play from 2007 and incidentally it´s probably the best song on it. The rest is variations on forgettable.

The Islander is also cool. Amaranth is also half-decent.

Thanks. I've heard Amaranth--I have a tendency to prefer the vocals of Tarja Turunen, so hadn't picked this one up.

@Arhu--nice clips (musically and visually--I have a weakness for long-haired men ;) )

IMHO this is by far the best trailer ever for any PB game. Not that this means much. Trailers are not exactly PB's strength. ;)
They should hire Blizzard :D

there seems to be a scorpion among the various foes.
________
BUY GLASS PIPES

Last edited:
@Corwin, here's something I thought you might like. I'm not kidding; please give them a try:

[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSMXMv0noY4&feature=related ]
[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JjQGt7WjK0 ]
[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14sRksQGgts&feature=related ]

(Edit: the former two are Metallica covers; the third is their own song.)

Their cover of 'One' is particularly impressive, they even imitate Metallica's mannerisms.

Some of their more mainstream stuff is pretty good as well.

I'm Not Jesus- with Corey Taylor of Slipknot.

Alrik, that's because Light Passion would be a contradiction, passion being sinful and all.

In some minds, maybe. In TDE, it would be nothing but just worshipping Rahja.

Of course, some people wouldn't like this at all ...

(Edit: the former two are Metallica covers; the third is their own song.)
Neat! Those reminded me of another performance, namely

Hip Hop Violin - Paul Dateh and inka one

They blend, as the title says, Hip Hop with a classical violin. I used to like Hip Hop even less than Metal, but I absolutely love these two guys' rendition of various songs. Favorite part is "Crazy" at 04:15.

Last edited:
The best thing about metal is how diverse and open to influences from other genres it is. And it has been quite like that since the beginnings, take Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, for example.
One just has to look around. Every genre has its highs and lows, it´s just that the lows are usually more medially exposed.

Anyway,

Here´s some light heavy metal for ya, courtesy of Devin Townsend:
Life
Stagnant
Slow Me Down

Okay, thanks, I'll try that one out. :)

Once, in another forum, I wrote about that i had heard the term of "White Metal", and someone else replied that this cannot exist, because it would be a contradiction in itself ...

Uh ...

They should hire Blizzard :D

This would give them an excellent 10 seconds trailer. Because the they're out of money. ;)

There are several animation studios out there who can deliver Blizzard's quality. But these movies are very expensive.

There are several animation studios out there who can deliver Blizzard's quality. But these movies are very expensive.

Yeah, ILM and Blur are among the best. But Blizzard is the only dev that I know of that has such a high-caliber CG department in their own company. IIRC they've got over 100 people in that department alone. Impressive, as are all their cinematics. :)

Yeah, ILM and Blur are among the best. But Blizzard is the only dev that I know of that has such a high-caliber CG department in their own company. IIRC they've got over 100 people in that department alone. Impressive, as are all their cinematics. :)

That's a lot of money and a lot of effort lost to something that, imo, is quite useless other than it's cool to watch maybe once.. just think what kind of extra gameplay or in-game graphics etc they could do instead with that money/people..

That's a lot of money and a lot of effort lost to something that, imo, is quite useless other than it's cool to watch maybe once.. just think what kind of extra gameplay or in-game graphics etc they could do instead with that money/people..

Not useless at all imo. I'm a huge huge fan of pre-rendered cinematics. I've watched, and keep on watching from time to time, Diablo 2, SC, WC3 and WoW cinematics. I always like to set the mood in my room, keep it dark, turn my sound-system to almost max and run a HD version of any of those cinematics. I get so pumped after watching them. And that's just fun besides the game.

Game-wise it adds a lot to the experience. It also shows how dedicated they are to their game. Most devs wouldn't spend that much money on something that runs for 2-3-4 minutes. It wouldn't seem like a very sound investment. But Blizzard does it, and they usually put out around 6 such cinematics with each game they release. Expansions usually get around 2.

Blizzard wants the experience to be complete. Sure, they're in it for the money, as most businesses are, but they also offer something most devs don't. Either because they can't, not having the freedoms that Blizzard has gained thanks to its hard-work, commitment and flawless track-record, or because they don't want to.

Oh, and yeah, I'll try to keep my Blizzard evangelism to a minimum. :p

Last edited:
I think Blizzard does great stuff, higly talented people, WoW has some of the best animations and art design that i've seen. But if i had to choose between in-game material and a 15 sec. pre-rendered video, the choice would be easy.

Back
Top Bottom