Cheap PS2 JRPGs?

True that. I had a go few days ago, and yes it was a lot of fiddling to get things going. Graphics are truly amazing, but I didn`t manage to get the sound playing 100% perfect. Even when it was stable, it sounded bit flat…
It might be down to my rig though- onboard Realtek audio. Also Q6600/HD 4870 might not be enough to get visuals and sound going simultaneously.

At the moment not for me then, especially I really need to reuse my old saves…
Amazing thing none the less - big kudos to these coders.

As for FF12, it was great - slickest game ever :), but my award for "PS2`s finest" goes to Dragon Quest VII…dunno, it just melts my heart :) Oh no, wait! What about Megaten? And also..ah sod it :)
I think you mean DQ 8, DQ7 was for PS1 I think.
To me PS2's finest would be Suikoden 3 without a doubt.

I think you mean DQ 8, DQ7 was for PS1 I think.
To me PS2's finest would be Suikoden 3 without a doubt.

I stand corrected: DQ VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Also when you get bored of all this jrpging try these j-gems: Gregory Horror Show (adventure, of sorts) and Ring Of Red (strategy). Cheap and ORIGINAL :)

FFXII is definitely a standout from a technical and gameplay perspective. However, to get all the detail and I guess to have the game move smoothly, the graphics are pretty low res.

Like JDR mentioned, it all looks very pixelated on modern HD TVs, especially on larger screens (even if it looked gorgeous a few years ago on my SD TV). Surprisingly (and maybe not surprisingly) Persona 4 and Rogue Galaxy still look very good on my 42" LCD. Persona 4 uses a much simpler graphical style so I guess they can afford to use higher res textures but it has such a unique art style that it doesn't matter (and it has some really slick menus).

Rogue Galaxy on the other hand seems to pack as much detail as FFXII and yet still manages to look nice and clean (read: not pixelated or blurry) but it doesn't have a widescreen mode which FFXII does. So I guess Square had to also sacrifice on textures to include more stuff on screen (with 16:9 mode).

Anyway, I started writing this to make a point and can't remember what that point was at this point, lol!

Oh, DQVIII also looks pretty good on my HDTV.

I guess what I was trying to get at was that FFXII's cut scenes are among the best the PS2 has seen, but Square seems to have sacrificed with low res textures to fit in the huge environments and relatively large number of characters on screen at once. You can be fighting a bunch of different enemies, throwing off a ton of spells and the game won't slow down. Also, some of the bosses are humongous. Good tradeoff if you ask me.

But would be nice if they re-released it for PS3 with higher res textures :) In any case, all that time they spent making FFXIII look so amazing should have been spent making everything less linear and more open-spaced like FFXIII.

Zloth looks at this PCSX2 thing

Zloth looks at his 3D Vision glasses

Oooooo - you don't think....?

Depends on how 3d is implemented. If the driver has access to the 3d model and uses them a way that the glasses can use them then it might work if it the game is effectively doing software rendering then I doubt the glasses will work. I've tried using tools which can in theory extract 3d models out of the DirectX representation before and it never worked in PCSX2 so I would be surprised if the glasses worked properly. Would be cool though I suspect.

Well, it gives you the option of rendering software and one of them is DirectX so it might just work. Even with the nice features, though, setting that emulation up looked like way too much of a bother.

Strange, I didn't have a lot of problems. Feed it the BIOS, load up a DVD/ISO and it worked. I tweaked a bit afterwards to get some Intel Core i7 speed-ups and better graphics (I think), but it just worked.

If you're going to extract the BIOS yourself, it may bothersome. Sorry, but I didn't do that the legal way.

Back
Top Bottom