Skyrim What has happened to the rest of the world?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Fnord

SasqWatch
200 years have passed since the last game, so a lot has naturally happened to the rest of the world. What of the events have you managed to puzzle together? Here is what I've got.

The red mountain has erupted, wrecking large parts of Morrowind. I take it that the entire province was affected, but that people have begun to repopulate it by now.
The Thalmor managed to gain control of Summerset Isle. They later invaded Valenwood and now officially have control over that region. I don't know which order things happened in, but they also fought a war against the empire, and won. While the empire still exists, the Thalmor have a lot of power over it, and the current ruler might be little more than a Thalmor puppet (it is unclear exactly how much power the Thalmor has over the empire, but we know that Talos worshiping has been outlawed and that the Thalmor are allowed to have outposts in other provinces (like Skyrim).

I thought Morrowind was wrecked prior to the events in Oblivion, but I could be wrong about that.

Iirc, it's talked about (or read from a book) in Oblivion that Morrowind had suffered some sort of catastrophe (flood?), and was taken over by Argonians.

From what I've gathered so far, sometime during or soon after Oblivion the Palace of Justice, which was a moon held above Vivec City in Morrowind crashed down on the city with all of the force it had when it was falling (so, a lot!), since the god Vivec's magic wasn't strong enough to hold it anymore. This massive impact caused Red Mountain to erupt, which was pretty horrible. Sometime after that the Argonians invaded at least the southern part of Morrowind.

The Thalmor were a group of Altmer and Bosmer that took over Summerset Isle and Valenwood and invaded Cyrodil. They took over the Imperial City, which the Empire retook a bit later, and then the White Gold Concordant banning the worship of Talos was signed as part of the peace treaty. At some point Hammerfell was invaded by the Thalmor, too, but the Redguards drove them out and, I think, declared independence from the Empire.

Someday I'm going to force myself to really read through all of the books on recent history to really come to grips with things, but for now I'm too busy actually playing the game!

Greg Keyes wrote two novels that cover some of the post-oblivion history. I am reading them both now while playing Skyrim and its awesome. Getting a ton of lore and reading the stories while playing adds so much more immersion and depth. Plus its cool to learn a lot more about the lore and history.

If interested: http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-Infernal-City/dp/0345508017

Last edited:
The blades were supposedly wiped out by the Thalmor (but you learn this relatively early in the game). The mages guild is gone and is replaced by some other weird sounding guild. Skyrim's inhabitants played an instrumental role in retaking the imperial city and in the war itself.

You've covered everything else I've learned so far.

Back
Top Bottom