Skyrim Shouting is fun-mild spoilers inside

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
There is a shout called throw voice, which acts like ventriloquism. A very fun thing to do is sneak close to a trapped area and then throw your voice on the trap. The baddies will come running and trip the trap multiple times seeking you out. The ones it doesn't kill outright, will be ripe for the plucking.

Another trick with this shout is to use it to foil ambushes. I'll use the shout when I see a rockfall trap at one of the forts. I make them think I'm in the path and they'll trigger the ambush and I'm several yards away.

A nice life-saving shout is turning ethereal(sp). It has saved my buns a few times. I haven't tried walking through a door this way, but it does work on traps. If you've got an unavoidable trap, just go ethereal and laugh as it passes right through you :)

I'm level 30, about 100 hours in and still don't have all the shouts, and almost none are at full power. I love this game!

That's the shout I keep up by default, when in dungeons. I'm an altmer, so I have highborn ready to fire if I get in a long combat. Even with 500 magicka, I can run out during a prolonged battle.

A nice life-saving shout is turning ethereal(sp). It has saved my buns a few times. I haven't tried walking through a door this way, but it does work on traps. If you've got an unavoidable trap, just go ethereal and laugh as it passes right through you :)

You can't walk through the locked doors with "Become Ethereal" but it IS a great way to pass through trapped areas. I also use it when I first enter new city to spawn carriers with messages about new word walls. Most of the other shouts can put bounty on your head.

I'm still saving all my dragon souls trying to find which shouts are the best to get. Is it possible to kill enough dragons to get all the shouts fully unlocked? So far I've definately used the first shout the most. I use it both strategically and for the fun of it...especially when I see mobs close to the edge of a cliff or a bridge to hurl them over. I also try to line them up so the shot hits more then one.

I have noticed that if I run right up to them and hit them while they're down they don't take damage...bug?

@sherwinz28
Dragons are basically the new cliffracers so there is no point hoarding souls.
You wil have many times more souls then there are words to unlock so my advice is to unlock them as you find them and save 2-3 souls just incase you stumble over someting you really like.

They should take damage while knocked down (atleast mine does) so sounds like a bug.

I'm sitting at 47 souls and I've ran from some dragon fights. You won't run outta souls, unless I have some special version of the game where 1-3 dragons show up every so often.

-Carn

The shout I love is sand (the second tier in the slow time shout). Shout this and then blast away with magic. Saved my butt on more than a few occasions.

Had anyone tried the lightning storm one? I learned the first word of it last night just before I quit playing and it has a really looooooong recharge time (300 seconds I think).

Hey, are the locations of the shouts fixed? Is the recharge time shared (like if I do the lightning one above is it 300 seconds until I can do any other shout)?

The time stop one is pretty awesome, nothing like getting off 6 arrows or so while the mob just sits there. Works really well if you get multiple dragons that show up when your making moves on your lady friend!

-Carn

Time Shout...interesting...hint at location of wall for shout? Put in spoiler tags if necessary.

I´ve been using Elemental Fury (faster weapon strikes) the most I think.
It can´t be used in conjunction with enchanted weapons, but in my char´s case the speed vastly outperforms enchantments damage-wise. Good for dispatching tougher enemies fast.

Had anyone tried the lightning storm one?
It looks nice and is quite useful against multiple enemies, especially at lower levels I think (its damage goes up as you add words, but I think whether you get it at level 15 or 35 makes no difference), but it has friendly fire.

Hey, are the locations of the shouts fixed? Is the recharge time shared (like if I do the lightning one above is it 300 seconds until I can do any other shout)?
Yes to both.

Time Shout…interesting…hint at location of wall for shout? Put in spoiler tags if necessary.

Inside Labyrinthian, which is also a mage quest dungeon

You should try the melee speed enhancer shout and watch it completely trivialize most fights in the game if you're a melee character. The speed you get at the highest level is just plain ridiculous. It can be fun though, but I refuse to abuse it.

How many dragon souls will I need per shout? I'm still stuck with 2 shouts which I got in High Hrotgar. I've got 2 others (one is the time stop thing) but they are still locked.
I hate fighhting against dragons because I always lose overview about where he is.

It's one soul per word and 3 words/shout. You'd need 3 souls to fully unlock a word, but most shouts are quite effective even at level one. I use the freeze body shout when I need giant toe ingredients. Giants fall over nice and slow and they get up slow too. One freeze is good enough for me to almost kill a giant. I need to run away while he's frozen and use arrows or spells. The second freeze is generally the kill shot.

Use the freeze shout when someone is on a high slope. The result is.. interesting.
*edit*
But don't do this against important mobs, just the regular trash.

Back
Top Bottom