Din's Curse - Gameplay Overview Video

The first 10 - 20 levels are fairly easy, but difficulty does ramp up and you will need to be more selective with your skill/stat choices.

I quite liked the game, but I could never maintain much interest. It was painfully "generated" and that made the content feel too overtly shallow and ultimately pointless.

Still, it was a good effort considering the budget involved.

Fluent, your video inspired me to install my GOG copy. I'm a big fan of Diablo, Torchlight and Titan Quest. I found the "save the town" mechanic and the timed quests very compelling and couldn't stop playing until I had saved my first town. I was playing on normal and it was too easy, so I hope the next town will be harder. Biggest downside is the clunky graphics, and the crowded screen when there's lots of loot. I turn off item names so I can actually hit the monsters. I'm not sure of the lasting appeal of this game as it could get repetitive, but so far it was great.

Awesome! Glad you're digging it. :) It's a pretty fun little gem, methinks.

The first 10 - 20 levels are fairly easy, but difficulty does ramp up and you will need to be more selective with your skill/stat choices.

Good to hear! I forgot already, are there various difficulty levels to choose at the beginning of the game? :thinking:

Also, is it recommended to take your time and explore every level of the dungeon? I already failed some quests and I'm wondering now if something has started in motion that will cause me to lose my first town if I'm not fast about things. o_O

Last edited:
I bought this when it came out...reading this made me want to install it again...unfortunately I bought it from somewhere else and no longer have a key for the main game, but I do have a key for the expansion from them....I can't find the original....so no playing for me again...damn.

@Gilliat, I'm a fan of Soldak as well now. Big fan of Spiderweb, too. Love me some indie RPGs. :)

Since you love indies so much, have you tried Knights of the Chalice and Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome ?

I can only speak of the demos since I haven't played the full games, but the Knights of the Chalice demo was IMO completely amazing and Teudogar was quite fun once I got used to it (took a few hours to get use to it though).

@Gilliat, Thanks so much for the recommendations! I have heard of KotC but not of Teudogar. Interesting. They aren't on Steam, are they?

I'll have to look into these. I heard great things about KotC but since I didn't find it on Steam I didn't look further into it. Looks like I need to, though. :thinking:

Thanks again, bud! :party: If you'd like to explain what makes these games great and why people should check them out, you should make a post over in the General RPG section. :nod:

I think both games can only be purchased from their developer's website, but I'm not entirely sure.

I prefer not to comment on them since I played the demos a while ago, especially Teudogar. Both games have a demo, so you'll be able to make a decision for yourself.

Both are different from the Soldak games (they are more traditional RPGs), so I'll stop hijacking the Soldak's thread now. ;)

Well, I asked for the temporary hijacking, so it's okay. :)

Thanks for the info and I'm off to research on my own. :)

Good to hear! I forgot already, are there various difficulty levels to choose at the beginning of the game? :thinking:

Also, is it recommended to take your time and explore every level of the dungeon? I already failed some quests and I'm wondering now if something has started in motion that will cause me to lose my first town if I'm not fast about things. o_O

Every 25 levels a new difficulty level opens up - you pretty much have no choice but to play at the new difficulty level. In addition, the content appears to get incrementally more difficult by level.

I recommend just focusing on the objectives (quests) of the world. I don't believe the dungeon really serves any other purpose. Plus quest rewards appear to be the main source of experience gain. Some dungeons are really deep, but the goals of the generated world change over time, so it is possible that you might need to dive to the bottom of a 20+ level dungeon, because the dynamic content gets out of hand and is hard to control.

I really liked the idea of this game, but the actual game play I found rather dull. The monsters were just too generic, mostly just bags of hit points that lacked any kind of ability or flavor to encourage me to do anything other than to just slowly and methodically whack on them until they were dead. My character was also extremely boring, his abilities were basically limited to "hit the monster" and "hit the monster a little harder".

But it's been a long time since I've played and it's possible that things improved since then. I did really like the whole dynamic town idea and I thought that was well done. I just wished they had worked harder in making a good ARPG to go along with it.

Back
Top Bottom