PC games denied DLC

Philistine

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
It's been announced that that the latest Need For Speed game will not be getting any of the DLC that the console versions will, and the last game in the series was denied the best of the DLC. What would your reaction be if EA applies this to say... ME3 or DA2? Is the publisher using the DLC as a carrot to draw customers away from the PC platform?

It's EA!!!! What else would you expect?

<shrug> It's *very* rare for me to get DLC anyway.

Interesting. Didn't they announch that DLCs will prevent piracy and boost PC sales? I have bought a dozen PC games this year and zero DLC. Only good PC games comes nowdays from Europe. All games from USA are console ports with ridiculous controls, UI, textures and game mechanics.

In any case, I hate the both series. They feel like made using a formula or a mold. Nothing new, just simplified adventure games.

Last EA game I bought was BFME2 and addon, and they were (are) great. In last couple of years there hasn't been anything for me and I doubt if ever again will be.

I suspect purchase rates are really low for PC DLC compared to console DLC. In part likely because its just so easy to do compared to PC as there is only one online store per console to buy from.
When you couple in a lot of it will more likely be pirated on PC, the publishers are just saying that the effort in releasing and managing PC DLC is too high and abandoning it. Unfortunately I think this is just the beginning and more and more games will be release just on consoles even if its possible to do the PC version as well.

Anyone want to guess the PC sales of Need for Speed vs consoles? Car racing is way out of my expertise but my guess is the relatively small sales don't make the conversion worthwhile.

As for ME3 and DA2, I didn't buy any ME2 DLC and the only DA DLC I bought was a ripoff (I'm counting Awakening as a full expansion). I'm not against DLC but, in practice, most of it doesn't do much for me. I don't think it would bother me one way or the other.

The only DLC I ever purchased for my console games was some of the Fallout 3 add-ons. I may have Shivering Isles for Oblivion too, I don't remember. Anyways, my point is: DLC is usually a rip-off. (At least for consoles.) It sucks that EA is doing wrong by their PC gamer fanbase by denying them DLC that they may potentially want, but in reality they are probably doing them a favor by not being able to sucker them out of $5 of real world money for a couple of "exclusive in-game items."

It's not the first time this has happened, indeed it's pretty usual. These are some of the games that didn't get DLC on PC:
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis (Might as well get the "But European devs don't do this!" squished first)
Need for Speed: Whatever
Saints Row 2
Racedriver GRID
BioShock 2 (Partial DLC coverage at the moment)
FarCry 2 (The Fortune('s?) pack was around, but it disappeared quickly; It is possible to get it as part of a FarCry 2 release but not on its own anymore)

It's not just EA, it's 2K, Codemasters, THQ - They're all doing it. You could probably find more, especially GfWL titles, by comparing them to their 360 counterparts, but that's just a small selection above. Missing out on DLC is not something that's unheard of, and I suppose we just have to... deal with it.

I think the distribution of DLC can be a bit of a pain for some devs, though. Direct2Drive is one of the few places they can do it without hitting some form of barrier - I think Impulse requires Impulse-registered games for DLC, and Steam certainly does - So that leaves them with D2D, publisher/developer website (Not all of which have stores, remember) and possibly GamersGate. What's the point if they can't get the message across that it's out there? 2K released DLC packs for Borderlands on disc, SEGA released them for Empire: Total War (I think?), but if they don't have a lot of DLC then what's the point?

I don't think anyone here cares about buying armour packs. If that's the conversation, consoles can have all the DLC. If we're talking new quests/areas, that's at least worth the discussion.

Edit: That same Larian thread shows images of them from the PC, so they don't look console-exclusive anyway.

Edit 2: I must admit I'd completely forgotten about these. I don't really think of armours and weapons as DLC, though obviously they are as such.

Last edited:
Must have missed the PC bit, then. Whoops.

DLC is DLC, whether it's armour, maps or missions. It's all DLC so it's all up for discussion.

I guess they did the math and decided they would generate less surplus wealth than they prefer.

Not exactly a surprise.

Oh, and as an "anti-US idiot" - I have to say it's certainly well in line with the american way :)

Now you're starting to sound like some of those anti-US idiots around here. ;)

Yeah I might, but the it's a fact that USA developers think about only consoles and making money with a "working formula". They can keep their "horse armors" as far as I can tell. :D

Yeah I might, but the it's a fact that USA developers think about only consoles and making money with a "working formula". They can keep their "horse armors" as far as I can tell. :D

Well at least that's closer to the truth than "Only good PC games comes nowdays from Europe."

I typically hate expansions and DLC, so double good riddance. I do enjoy expansions that allow you to start over and aren't just tacked on to the end of the game. Shivering Isles is fine, Mask of the Betrayer isn't. I'm well aware that MotB is very popular, but I HATE high level gameplay. I'll take modding over DLC any day. Thank you NWN/NWN2 and Bethesda for mods. I've not tried any Dragon Age mods.

Star Wars Battlefront II also had some sort of DLC on the xbox which the PC version didn't get. And in that case, LucasArts was responsible.

So this isn't the first time.

Not giving PC owners DLC could be kind of an indirect marketing way to push … err, persuade them into buying consoles instead - where far less piracy takes place, or so I understood it.

Like Microsoft does things to … persuade people to buy their newest OS. Like with direktx 11.

Back
Top Bottom