Star Citizen - Won't Support DX10 or 4GB PC's

Think of a moth. Now think of Mothra. I don't think steroids are going to cut it, Caddy. ;)

I wonder if we could make a RPGWatch Star Citizen server?

Think of a moth. Now think of Mothra. I don't think steroids are going to cut it, Caddy. ;)

I wonder if we could make a RPGWatch Star Citizen server?

...you read my mind, Zloth. :)

Or even an RPGWatch Star Citizen organization. I'd even be happy with that!

Hehe, well, I'm planning to play on the live server - but I wouldn't mind a Watch organization - that could be fun ;)

Just know that I'm all about being a goody two shoes in this game!

Well, ok, not quite - as I do hope to blow stuff up - but I'm not going the piracy route..... Not much, anyway.... Ok, maybe a little black market transaction here and there.....

Ok, I'm corrupt! ;)

What I fear is that there won't be a single player option. I know they've said there will be, but I suspect they'll end up canceling it like Elite:
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=cea4f4cd56

This little tidbit has sent the Elite forums into a frenzy:

If you're talking about Squadron 42 - then I think you're very wrong. That part of the game has been in development for a very long time, and he put his own brother in charge of development of it. Chapter 1 is supposed to be ready relatively soon.

There's no real obstacle to providing an offline version of it, either. That's really the only singleplayer version of SC that's part of the original pitch.

However, I do doubt they'll offer a proper offline version of the persistent universe - as it would be a major obstacle to provide separate updates for that and the live universe.

I'm sure we'll hear a similar overblown cry from the tiny portion of paranoid xenophobes if they fail to offer the offline server option with full updates.

That's kickstarted elite revival project?
I refused to support it back then because it smelled wrong since the beginning.

If you're talking about Squadron 42 - then I think you're very wrong. That part of the game has been in development for a very long time, and he put his own brother in charge of development of it. Chapter 1 is supposed to be ready relatively soon.
Yes, I'm thinking of Squadron 42. Hopefully I'm wrong, and it'll end up being a blast. Time will tell tho.
That's kickstarted elite revival project?
I refused to support it back then because it smelled wrong since the beginning.
Yep, it's the Kickstarter. The backers are a bit frustrated, because they see it as a broken promise.

If you can't deal with online gaming, you're in for a very limited future where gaming is concerned.

I doubt that. But for now, I'd like as many of my games single player as possible, please.

I'm not talking about multiplayer games - but about online games.

But I guess we'll see :)

As I said, I'm not talking about multiplayer games - but about online games.

The future is going to be almost entirely online - both for security reasons and for convenience.

Singleplayer games won't go away, though.

Yes, I understand that. I think the article is still an interesting read on the subject of those who prefer to game in isolation. You did also just mention something about "a tiny portion of paranoid xenophobes", so I think the article is fair and relevant.

Yes, I understand that. I think the article is still an interesting read on the subject of those who prefer to game in isolation. You did also just mention something about "a tiny portion of paranoid xenophobes", so I think the article is fair and relevant.

I don't know what you mean by fair. I guess it means you agree with what it says?

As far as I'm concerned, the people who think online gaming means you have to play with jerks are people who don't really understand modern game design.

The vast majority of non-competitive online games are designed in such a way that your interaction with "jerks" will be absolutely minimal, if it's there at all.

People who outright refuse to play online games on principle are the ones I'm talking about when I say paranoid xenophobes.

I expect most wouldn't really mind if they realised the potential of social interaction - without having to actively participate themselves.

Especially when it comes to games like Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen - which are designed around a dynamic playfield which depends on the social component.

The reason such games used to be singleplayer only isn't based on some kind of design ideal. It's because multiplayer design wasn't feasible - and there was no way to realistically create games like that.

As far as I'm concerned, it makes absolutely no sense to play games like that in isolation - but it's still possible to a large extent. Going crazy over it like we're seeing on the forums is what I'm talking about, when I'm talking about paranoia and such.

That said, it's unfortunate that Braben and his team didn't realise this before - as it seemed quite obvious to me that it would be a big challenge to provide properly.

Well, I don't play online multiplayer games on principle - on the principle that human interaction is not what I'm looking for in gaming, any more than it is when I read a book. I do that in different contexts.

I do think that "paranoid xenophobia" is a rather extreme and silly description, and I think the article discusses this group in a more interesting and reasonable way.

I don't play on-line games, simply because the "social interaction" is not an experience that I am searching for while gaming.

At first, I was only interested in Squadron 42, which is the off-line single-player campaign and that was the reason why I pledged for Star Citizen since I didn't care at all for the on-line component. However, over time, I have been getting more and more interested in the PU (Persistent Universe, i.e. on-line experience) and ended up being genuinely excited about it, even to the point that I couldn't resist buying some additional ships :).

Well, I don't play online multiplayer games on principle - on the principle that human interaction is not what I'm looking for in gaming, any more than it is when I read a book. I do that in different contexts.

I do think that "paranoid xenophobia" is a rather extreme and silly description, and I think the article discusses this group in a more interesting and reasonable way.

I'm not a big supporter of principles in the first place, as they make you rigid and inevitably closed minded.

It's a static position - and if you want to get at the truth of anything, you have to be dynamic.

But to each his own.

As for the article, it doesn't seem to take much into account - but I'm glad you found it interesting.

I don't play on-line games, simply because the "social interaction" is not an experience that I am searching for while gaming.

At first, I was only interested in Squadron 42, which is the off-line single-player campaign and that was the reason why I pledged for Star Citizen since I didn't care at all for the on-line component. However, over time, I have been getting more and more interested in the PU (Persistent Universe, i.e. on-line experience) and ended up being genuinely excited about it, even to the point that I couldn't resist buying some additional ships :).

I'm confused.

You're saying you don't play online games - and yet you're excited about the online portion of SC? ;)

If so, then you represent exactly the kind of person I'm talking about. The kind that's open to new ideas and who's not against things on principle.

What I'm suggesting is that most anti-online people aren't really ANTI online. That's just the position they're used to, for a variety of reasons.

The small minority who's TRULY anti-online are the ones I refer to as paranoid xenophobes. Not flattering, but when is truth ever flattering? It's rare :)

Back
Top Bottom