Why most people don't finish video games

15 Minutes is okayd for someone who comes home in the evening r in the late afternoon and rather wants to spend the time with spouse, kid, animal and doesn't want to invest 10 hours of gaming into something before he or she can experience "greatness".

Asdraguuhl said:
All that amount of writing doesn't hide the fact that you are describing an overly simplisitic viewpoint.

I'm waiting for your arguments.

If low level fallacies and some general vagueness is the best you can do how about going back to elementary school before trying to talk me down? :roll:

For a moment this is like being back at the Codex. I'm so impressed.

Asdraguuhl said:
Implying that 15 minutes should be enough to be able to judge a game is absolutely ridiculous.

Yawn.

Can you point where did I say fifteen minutes are enough to judge a game? Oh, wait, you can't, because I never said it was enough to judge it's quality as a game. I said it was enough to judge whether or not was the kind of game you wanted to invest your time on.

Not everyone has the will to waste her life playing mediocre looking games in the hope they will become the best thing ever in the last five minutes before the ending cinematic. Some of us have lives away from our consoles.

Asdraguuhl said:
It is very common that "greatness" often requires certain investment in order for that greatness to become visible.

Pardon me, but are you really trying to pass an opinion, commonly held or not, as fact and hoping to be taken seriously by me?

My, my. You have the stench of public education all over you.

Asdraguuhl said:
In your Youtube example it does work as it is clearly aimed to impress juvenile retards.

Awesome gameplay is clearly aimed to impress juvenile retards? My, my.

What does a mature retard like you uses to judge a game, then?

Tartarus. Grinding the bleep out off Arqa 17-24.
Nice avatar Vii Zafira, maybe you should choose a better image resolution tho.
And, chill down, he can report you.;)

About the subject at hand, games are meant to be fun, irregardless of their intellectual level, not a chore in the name of who knows what.

Kz3r0 said:
Nice avatar Vii Zafira, maybe you should choose a better image resolution tho.

You are right. I'll see what I can do for it with Le GIMP, once I get some time.

Kz3r0 said:
And, chill down, he can report you.;)

You are right on that, too.

I'm very sorry for the hostility, then. My bad, I kind of forgot the part about being the better girl.

Kz3r0 said:
About the subject at hand, games are meant to be fun, irregardless of their intellectual level, not a chore in the name of who knows what.

In the name of "Greatness". Read it with air quotes, please.

JDR123 said:
I'm still trying to figure out what that is. :)

647ebccd833d11b3efff3fbb2d493bf18274f8ef.jpg

There you go. :hug:

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness
Because a lot of the best games, movies, books and so on even these days require some investment before they become enjoyable. If you pirate a game and don't like the first 2 hours you might just drop it. However if you bought it you might give it the 10 hours investment needed before it really becomes enjoyable.
It kind of reminds me of something someone had as his signature on that other forum. Paraphrasing, it was about how if you only play a game for a couple of hours and don't like it you can't say it is bad because you did not play it enough, if you did play up to halfway through before leaving you can't say it is awful because you haven't seen all of it yet, and if you did play it to the end, you can't say it was awful because you obviously enjoyed it enough to finish it.

….

I do get your point, but not all games are about cool video sequences. Infact I am not sure if a video sequence should be classified as a game?

How fun is playing a card game like bridge for the first 15 minutes when you haven't a clue about the rules?

This kind of deep games which require a real investment before you can learn the rules and really start enjoy them are IMHO the best.

Clicky click me!

So when does the game start anyway?

As far as books go, I've read quite a few books which start out with very detailed descriptions and really slow… making me wounder if I should actually read on. Only to have them become some of the best books I ever read, becasue when everything is setup and interesting things actually start happening, they become all the more interesting!

GothicGothicness said:
I do get your point, but not all games are about cool video sequences. Infact I am not sure if a video sequence should be classified as a game?

I did not say anything about cool video sequences. Didn't I mention the mortuary in Planescape as an introduction, too? And I mentioned books too, that don't have video sequences as long as they are not from the land of sushi and naughty tentacles.

The point was that it is the duty of the writer, or the game developer, or the TV show producer to convince the customer to invest her time beyond the first chapter, the first gameplay sequence, or the first episode, regardless of that first contact with the product being an action packed shoot out or an atmospheric and disorienting start.

If the game needs a long period of learning and training to become good at it the game itself must give the player the motivation to go through it and become good at it, regardless of that motivation being the story that plays in the while, the setting where such game happens, or how entertaining the progressively introduced elements of gameplay are by themselves.

GothicGothicness said:
How fun is playing a card game like bridge for the first 15 minutes when you haven't a clue about the rules?

Card games are highly social, and most people learn them because they enjoy the social enviroment in which the game is played. I.E: There's immediate enjoyment. In other cases card games are learned as a way to win money or favours.

Both cases rule out the comparison with playing games because you did pay money for them, as you are learning to play either to enjoy the social enviroment or take your friends' money.

In the first case there's direct enjoyment being obtained from the game even when the player sucks at it, she isn't going through something she is not enjoying under the promise some day she may enjoy it. In the second case the motivation is unrelated to enjoyment and belong to the realm of work, and given we are not being paid to play games it doesn't work as a parallel.

And I have never met anyone who decided to buy a pack of cards by whim alone and then learned to play with them to justify the investment.

GothicGothicness said:
This kind of deep games which require a real investment before you can learn the rules and really start enjoy them are IMHO the best.

People learns to play chess on the idea they may be good someday, yes, but that doesn't mean they don't enjoy the basic elements of chess all the same. They aren't saying "Some day I'll learn to play chess and I will start enjoying this" nor "I will learn to play chess because I bought a chessboard and thus I will spend the next thirty years of my life justifying this acquisition" but "I enjoy this, therefore I want to play well".

GothicGothicness said:
So when does the game start anyway?

8:33.

I used the full intro plus the first level just to show how fifteen minutes can easily establish gameplay, mood, and style. The point isn't "look at the awesome video of a bodysuit'd witch kicking angelic behind" but "look at how fifteen minutes tell you all you need to know about the game to decide whether it is your kind of thing or not."

And Bayonetta, just like Devil May Cry 3 and other similar ones, are games that you don't enjoy fully until you have mastered the combat up to the point you are mentally counting frames and cancelling to and fro' like a dancer while playing at the highest challenge level and giving it your best to be the most awesome player who ever existed. That doesn't mean the path before reaching there isn't hellishly fun, which is the point: If that's your kind of game you are enjoying it even when you suck at it, you don't have to force yourself forward on the promise some day the game will be really fun, nor because it was totally not cheap.

In other words a well designed game is fun for it's target market by default, and becomes more and more fun the better you get at it and the deeper you go into it. It doesn't start being a terrible bore and becomes less and less boring until you break through into "fun".

Last edited:
As far as books go, I've read quite a few books which start out with very detailed descriptions and really slow… making me wounder if I should actually read on. Only to have them become some of the best books I ever read, becasue when everything is setup and interesting things actually start happening, they become all the more interesting!

Books and games are two very different categories in terms of presentation. While a book relies on text only, a computer game uses visuals, sounds and interaction (gameplay) in addition to text. Since a game has all those means to convey information to the player, it can convey information in a much quicker way than a book. The proverb „A picture is worth more than thousand words“ is applicable to this case.

The thing that most frequently slows down the pace in a book is trying to convey the atmosphere using long text descriptions of the environment (in a broader sense). A game can describe an environment in a few seconds using visuals and sounds. Hence, the „feel“ of the game is available to the player almost immediately, via exposure to scenery and user interface. It is the task of the game designer to effectively convey the atmosphere of the game from start to finish and there is no reason for atmosphere qualitatively differing at the start of the game with respect to later parts of the game.

Given that, the existence of certain books that start off slowly in order to set up the world and the characters before things actually start happening and books reveal their appeal does not justify the same kind of „slow start“ in a game. In that spirit, it is the best for the discussion to focus on the games exclusively, disregarding other, categorically different, forms of entertainment.

Because a lot of the best games, movies, books and so on even these days require some investment before they become enjoyable. If you pirate a game and don't like the first 2 hours you might just drop it. However if you bought it you might give it the 10 hours investment needed before it really becomes enjoyable.

I don't fully agree with this statement. Truly good games, movies and books hook up the audience no more than 5 minutes into them. If you have to read 100 pages into the book for something interesting to happen or play for 2 hours for action to start, chances are the authors bonkered one of the most important aspect of entertainment - introduction.

Now, I am not talking here about fast-paced action, or explosion packed sequences - this is stuff for ADD kids (though in right proportions it too can evoke a sense of drama). I am talking about a drive, a purpose, something concrete to do or watch rather than bore the audeince to tears.

I've just started reading "The Enchantress of Florence" by Salman Rushdie. I am only one chapter into the story but I am already looking forward to learning more about Uccello di Firenze - or rather the rogue, murderer and thief by presented himself with this name. Why is he so bent on meeting the emperror of India? What was so important that he had to kill English ambassador to pose as him at the court? What is the story he wants to tell him? Who is the Enchantress of Florence - is she real or not - just a trickery he used to deceive the ambassador? The author did a great job at characterisation, and in doing so in the scope of one chapter he created a sense of mystery that drives the story forward with no effort at all. And the real action haven't even started yet!

Similarly in Betrayal in Krondor. 5 minutes into the game we have a foiled assassination, a dead body, an Elven prisoner who has saved the life of his captor, and a mission to reach the Royal city of Krondor. It's hell of a motivation to head on. And the best part is - this is only the beginning! As the game goes on you will get, new excting things to do at every corner.

You really, really don't need long exposition for anything. In fact it is usually the mark of a hack of a writer/developer develop the plot threads/ gameplay sloooowly.

Books and games are two very different categories in terms of presentation. While a book relies on text only, a computer game uses visuals, sounds and interaction (gameplay) in addition to text. Since a game has all those means to convey information to the player, it can convey information in a much quicker way than a book. The proverb „A picture is worth more than thousand words“ is applicable to this case.

The thing that most frequently slows down the pace in a book is trying to convey the atmosphere using long text descriptions of the environment (in a broader sense). A game can describe an environment in a few seconds using visuals and sounds. Hence, the „feel“ of the game is available to the player almost immediately, via exposure to scenery and user interface. It is the task of the game designer to effectively convey the atmosphere of the game from start to finish and there is no reason for atmosphere qualitatively differing at the start of the game with respect to later parts of the game.

Given that, the existence of certain books that start off slowly in order to set up the world and the characters before things actually start happening and books reveal their appeal does not justify the same kind of „slow start“ in a game. In that spirit, it is the best for the discussion to focus on the games exclusively, disregarding other, categorically different, forms of entertainment.

While I agree with your saying that books are a different medium than games I think it still pays to draw parrallels between them both.

For instance in the "learning of the rules" of a game one could see "learning of the rules" of a story - how is it structured? Why is it structured in this way? Does this peculiar mode of narration serve any purpose? Similarly games, require some experimentation - what you can/cannot do? Where can you go? Who can you interact with? What does this button serve for? etc.

Having said that, there always needs to be a 'hook' - regardless of whether we are talking about a novel, film or video game. People need something to intrigue them, draw their attention, inspire them, make them look forward to next occurence. Slow beginnings are ok, provided that there's expectation or promise of some dramatic event, or - in case of games - some reasonably challenging gameplay.

I concede with your point that games are multi-layered medium - using visuals and sounds to convey their message - hence you can form impression more readily. Which brings me to the point of this discussion: Why most people don't finish video games.

I think the malady of the games today is the dev's inability to create 'the drive' from available elements. They know how the combat should work, what to do for the story to be dramatic, or how to graphically depict the world - but they seem to work on formulas, rather than genuinely think - 'this is fun!'.

There's this problem of making things work together. Sure, you have pretty graphics, some story and some combat - but those things do not really go smoothly with each other these days. They are divorced from one another other and no one has a clue how to glue them together. So instead of story reinforcing combat, combat reinforcing interaction with the world, interaction with the world reinforcing exploration, exploration reinforcing ambience and atmosphere aiding story we have actually separation of all these elements (like in upcoming Mass Effect 3).

In other words, developers can no longer make gameplay from the fundamental boulders. They have no clue how to use the story other than give you excuse to kill truckloads of derpspawn. They cannot fathom how jumping on a table could let you reach enemies otherwise blocked by it. They find it impossible to turn available skills utilities into interactive elements that could aid exploration (e.g. you could freeze a river with a spell to cross it, or use ropes to go down a canyon). They are lost when someone tell them that uncovering a secret questline could lead to a sense of accomplishement.

In theory, in many other games you have so many things to do, but all of them you accomplish in the same fashion. The result is obvious - you don't feel sense of mystery and awe when completing a quest. You don't look forward to the next encounter thinking what you'll face and what means you will use to defeat them. You don't rack your brain before going on a journey considering if you will need ropes, food or extra mana potions, and how you are going to take all of them. You don't find any real secrets - just railroaded milestones. Everything is boring, repetetive and formulaic.

Oh, the games of yesteryears - how I miss you so. :(

Ok, I think you're ALL right. IDEALLY, a good game SHOULD hook you right away. Same with a book or film. But that's not always the case and it's not always a bad thing.

There are plenty of books, films and games that start out a little slow but then build up to something greater. Now, if the game designers (or authors, directors) have any talent at all, you may not see fully blossomed greatness initially but you should at least see some hint of it. Or at least some aspect that does draw you in, though it may not be the actual central point of the experience.

For example, a game's graphical style or soundtrack could be interesting enough in some cases to keep you playing through a dull introductory section. Or perhaps some cleverly designed interface or title screens. These are all little things that are important to the experience of playing a game, there's no denying that, but in some ways those are secondary to gameplay systems & story as far as RPGs are concerned. Neverwinter Night's OC could have had the most amazing soundtrack ever but it wouldn't have mattered 50 hours in because the game was incredibly dull.

Again, ideally you want to be hooked right away, but that doesn't always happen. I refuse to read a book if it fails to capture me in the first chapter. And I have put books down after a few pages because they just were not for me. But in some cases, though the story may not take off in an interesting fashion, I have continued to read a book because it may have an interesting viewpoint or writing style for example.

Like a game, it doesn't have to be mindblowing out of the gate, just good enough… the important thing is that it should get better as it moves along. A good comparison (I think) is music. Many of my favorite albums have started off slow, with a weak track or two and then by the end have become incredible works. I can say that about the last couple of Radiohead albums which I gave a few listens to and could not get into… and then some time later they just clicked for me.

I'd honestly rather have that than an album (or game) that starts out amazingly and then fizzles out shortly after and I never want to hear (or play) again. Yes, in a perfect world a game would start at 10 and end at 10, but if a game starts off a bit slow, I tend to give it some slack. Think about it, a movie has 1.5 to 2 hours to tell a story while for most RPGs that's about as long as the preface, introduction, or tutorial take. So I really don't expect to be blown away in the first hour. I don't expect to be bored to death either though (you hear that NWN OC?).

Hence, the „feel“ of the game is available to the player almost immediately, via exposure to scenery and user interface.

I partly disagree.

Yes, the visuals, sounds, smells, emotions play a big role in that.

Notice something ? Smells cannot be transported, and emotions can only be induced.

My Theory is : The better the capability to imagine, the better the immersion of a book.

In my theory, men are rather visually oriented, which means that they need strong visuals (supported by sounds) to get their "head cinema" (German: "Kopfkino") going. Since they are so much visually oriented, they just need good video game graphics for immersion, I guess.

It seems that I'm good at imagination. After a few imagination excersises (spelling ?) (kind of "guided meditations", similar to that), the guide said to me that I'm extraordinarily good at imagine things. Other men would be jealous of my capability of being able to go into imagined scenes.

And I take this as an explanation why a good book has the same effect on me like a good game : Involvement, Immersion. The whole book takes place inside of my head, my "head cinema" is at full power, then. I do not need shiny graphics. I can imagine everything.

I almost assume that women are not that much visually oriented as men are. (And yes, I'm a man.) I assume that women are better at imagination. They wouldn't need strong visuals for involvement. Everything is inside of their heads.

I also fear that the more visually gaming (and TV) becomes, the more pasasive we become at the art of imagining things. Our talent or skill called "imagination" just decreases - because we are presented everything. We become passive. Remember the humans of Wall•E ? How they were constantly looking at their screens ? That's were we might end up.

And I also think that women and men perceive games differently, at least to a part. I'd like to see a scientific study on that, but I think that no-one has bothered so far.

I did not say anything about cool video sequences. Didn't I mention the mortuary in Planescape as an introduction, too? And I mentioned books too, that don't have video sequences as long as they are not from the land of sushi and naughty tentacles.

The point was that it is the duty of the writer, or the game developer, or the TV show producer to convince the customer to invest her time beyond the first chapter, the first gameplay sequence, or the first episode, regardless of that first contact with the product being an action packed shoot out or an atmospheric and disorienting start.

If the game needs a long period of learning and training to become good at it the game itself must give the player the motivation to go through it and become good at it, regardless of that motivation being the story that plays in the while, the setting where such game happens, or how entertaining the progressively introduced elements of gameplay are by themselves.

Card games are highly social, and most people learn them because they enjoy the social enviroment in which the game is played. I.E: There's immediate enjoyment. In other cases card games are learned as a way to win money or favours.

After reading a lot of the comments here, it doesn't surprise me most games out there are fairly shallow instant satisfication kind of games, which takes about 1 hour to master their systems.

I am a bit sad to see those kind of comments on a site like this. It really explains why the kind of games I enjoy are almost a dying bread.

Who of you would have the patience to sit down and learn the rules of a really complex strategy game or turn-based game? These games START to get fun after investing a lot of hours just to learn the gameplay rules. If you don't know what's going on they are not going to be fun.

I also disagree about card-games, chess and other such a things! People make an investment to learn it because they know it'll get fun later on.

This can be applied for a lot of things, people spend time practicing they don't enjoy because they know it is going to be fun later on. The trend right now is towards instant satisfication and there is no patience at all, which becomes very appearent and clear from your comments. If the first 15 minutes are not good? screw this.

After reading a lot of the comments here, it doesn't surprise me most games out there are fairly shallow instant satisfication kind of games, which takes about 1 hour to master their systems.

I think you misunderstand. I for one thing lament the fact that the games of today go for instant gratification with cheap arse drama sequences, cutsecens, explosions, recycled combat that God forbid if it could surprise the player with something new.

The point most of us are arguing here is the very reverse of what you are accusing us of. To me modern games are so abysmall because they give you options that you have no creative use for. Those games are indeed the instant satisfaction kind of - you play, see a few explosion or "dramatic sequences"or pretty graphics or what have you - and drop the game out of bordom the moment it starts recycling everything.

There's no drive in them, there's nothing to look forward two - you've seen one cave - you've seen all of them. There's no challenge in defeating n-th derpspawn, collector or dragon - they are all the same. Booorrring.

You criticise games for taking 1 hour to master their system. I agree with that. It only proves that the game system is so shallow and boring that it will turn out repetetive soon enough. However, if by the end of first hour into the game you are still not having fun with the basics you've grasped, the fault falls to the developer for not creating adequate challenge and sense of accomplishement.

Look at Planescape: Torment, Betrayal at Krondor, Icewind Dale II, Might and Magic. You are hooked into the game from the very first minutes i.e. you are having fun just like that. There's stuff going on all the time, and the games make you want to learn more about how they work, and get progressively more difficult as you gain access to new spells, abilities and such. You really don't have to tell yourself: "in 5 hours into the game I might just start having fun".

I am a bit sad to see those kind of comments on a site like this. It really explains why the kind of games I enjoy are almost a dying bread.

Who of you would have the patience to sit down and learn the rules of a really complex strategy game or turn-based game? These games START to get fun after investing a lot of hours just to learn the gameplay rules. If you don't know what's going on they are not going to be fun.

The correct word here is "pacing". You should have some degree of fun throughout the experience - even when you lose this should be only more motivation to you to try harder. So you should be faced with challenges that are difficult but managable with the resources (and knowledge of the system) you have at your disposal.

I also disagree about card-games, chess and other such a things! People make an investment to learn it because they know it'll get fun later on.
This can be applied for a lot of things, people spend time practicing they don't enjoy because they know it is going to be fun later on.

No… Just no… People do not practice things because they hope it might become fun later on. They learn because they have fun and enjoy learning them. A lot depends how person is introduced to the game. I am with Vii on this. In case of social games such as cards and chess much wieght lies not on the hope of enjoyment but the sheer fact of spending time with friends/family members who enjoy playing with you.

The trend right now is towards instant satisfication and there is no patience at all, which becomes very appearent and clear from your comments. If the first 15 minutes are not good? screw this.

Goalposts, milestones and targets - aka "hooks". The audience really should have something to work on, to drive them forward all the time.

"Hooks" do not deny complexity. In fact complexity might reinforce them. When you see that the skill you just raised a level allowed you to perform an unexpected feat, you just start looking forward to experimenting with various options. In other words a new "hook" is created. The thing is to know how to "pace" those options and make all of them meaningful for the gameplay.

I would write more about it but I have to go. Cheers

Last edited:
I agree with GothicGothicness' comment regarding the instant satisfaction that seems to be the dominant trend in many areas.

Sure, you can expect that the developer/author/designer/artist etc. needs to have the ability to attract and guide the "consumer" in a satisfactory manner and mrowakus does make very valid points. But I think it is also unreasonable to expect zero effort from the consumers' side.

If you are familiar with a particular "format" it is then easier to make an early assessment of the quality but you may very well be confronted with a work of greatness in a format that is unfamiliar to you. In that case, if I want to discover whether I like it, I consider it to be my duty to invest in that work. In my case, an example would be "Le Sacre Du Printemps" from Igor Stravinsky. I didn't like when I first listened to it because it was very different compared to what I was used to. But it was considered a masterpiece so I "forced" myself to listen to it several times before dismissing it because I knew from experience that the better musical works often require more investment. I started really enjoying that piece once I got accustomed to the musical style. Another example would be the music from Richard Wagner, which can be notoriously difficult to get into, but once I overcame that threshold, I found myself in musical heaven.

Many of such masterpieces are often not accessible due to their complexity, especially to those who are unfamiliar with the style. Therefore, statements that imply that 15 minutes of exposure should be enough is just too radical and shortsighted and such
approach would lead to automatic dismissals of great works.

Of course, video games are different in nature and it might perhaps be somewhat unfair to use examples of other media and I do agree with many comments that mrowakus has stated in the above posts, especially his statements on "pacing".

But I think that we should differentiate between the concept of pacing throughout the entire game and the initial threshold that is required to overcome before a game can be enjoyed in its fullest. Today I tend to limit my gaming to CRPG's but in the old days I used to play a lot of adventures and strategy games. These games are normally slow paced and since I am very familar with that type of gaming I have to overcome a zero threshold since I already know how to tackle such games. But I can perfectly imagine that a younger gamer who has only played action and shooter games is going to have a harder time to get into a strategy or adventure game. Such gamer would most likely immediately dismiss these games if he or she would apply the same criteria as for action games,….unless he or she is willing to put some effort and spend some time in order to get to "know" the new game hence being able to make a better assessment.

Of course, this is just a simplified example but my point is that in some cases you need to show some effort before you are able to enjoy the experience and it is not always a case of the designers being at fault.

I guess that the current trend of instant gratification tends to make people want to live the comfort of being spoonfed.

“GothicGothicness“ said:

In the interest of brevity, irrelevant opinions of the „this is why we cannot have nice things“ kind and personal attacks have been omitted from the quote.

There is difference between grasping the basic functions of the system and mastering all its aspects, but even basic functions should result in the player getting intrigued by the gameplay and starting to enjoy the game. This is what well designed system and user interface should accomplish. As the game progresses, challenge should be increasing, requiring the player to resort to more advanced tactics, supported by the system.

Let's talk a concrete example, of Jagged Alliance 2.

Jagged Alliance 2 is in my opinion one of the best games ever made. It is also known as one of the most challenging tactical combat games, especially with 1.13 community mod.

After starting the game and choosing basic options, the player is presented with two video sequences establishing basic plot and motivation for the player character. Then the player is presented with a laptop – like strategic interface, where he can hire mercenaries, create his own mercenary character(s), and access further information about the situation (recon reports and emails) if necessary. Screens for hiring mercenaries and creating mercenaries show that different mercenaries with different abilities and different character traits. Hireable mercenaries seem like distinct personalities from the start. After hiring the mercenaries and shutting down the laptop, the player is presented with the strategic screen showing the map of Arulco. Strategic orders can be given on the screen and tactical combat can be entered from it.

After entering the tactical combat screen, the player has already been exposed to the general atmosphere of the game. In the tactical combat screen, the player is exposed to the tactical interface and to an actual conflict with the enemy forces. While the initial conflict is quite easy and is over quickly, through it the player is familiarized with the basics of combat and his familiarity with the atmosphere (with mercenary comments) increases. At the end of the initial conflict, the player knows the user interface, knows the atmosphere of the game and knows the basic features of the gameplay. This is more than enough for the player to decide whether this game interests him or not, and doesn't take much time.

Completely mastering the gameplay, naturally, takes time and experience (otherwise there would be no challenge). Maintaining the challenge throught the game is another task that a game designer needs to accomplish to motivate the player to complete the game.

Jagged Alliance 2 is an example of a well designed challenging tactical combat game, which quickly informs the player what kind of the game it is and the fun starts immediately and never ceases until the game is finished.

An example from another end of the RPG spectrum has already been given: Planescape: Torment. For a more extreme narrative oriented example, one can mention the adventure game Dreamfall. That is the game where practically all the gameplay is in the form of the narrative. This is also clearly conveyed in the opening part of the game: the player is presented with a strong story with very low interactivity and no challenge from the start. However, the story is presented well enough that, assuming that the player enjoys that kind of game, grabs and won't let go.

One has to take into account the additional fact, that the player probably has some external knowledge about the game before, and can make an informed guess, based on similar good games, of how much time should he should invest to become familiar with the game enough to enjoy it (for a well designed game, the upper limit the time spent familiarizing the player with the user interface, which reveals the importance of well designed user interface). For some games it can be shorter than 15 minutes, for some it may take more, but no well designed single player computer game takes hours of tedium before suddenly becoming fun.

So far not a single counterexample of a game that is boring at the start and magically becomes a good game at a certain later portion has been given, and even if it was given, it would still be an example of bad design.

First of all, the mass appeal of chess is that its rules are very simple and can be learned instantly, and yet those simple rules lead to a huge number of tactical options. That means that fun can be had at any level, as long as the opponents' skill is comparable. I remember having the same kind of fun (and sometimes the same kind of frustration that comes with loss) playing chess against my grandfather and father at a very young age as I had playing against ranked players in my later years. You don't need to be Kasparov to enjoy it.

Second of all, and this has already been mentioned, single player computer games are radically different experience to social multiplayer games.

This can be applied for a lot of things, people spend time practicing they don't enjoy because they know it is going to be fun later on.
No, this only applies to goal related activities: competition and work.

“Alrik Fassbauer“ said:
The disagreement here comes from partial misintepretation of what I wrote. My claim was only that the game, as partly visual medium, can convey the atmosphere much more quickly than a book. It may take you 15 minutes to read the opening chapter of the book, while in a visual medium the same information can be presented in a few minutes. I agree with you that a good book, with the use of imagination, can more often than not do it in a better way, but that is not pertinent (we can know that there exist the games that convey the atmosphere well and the existence of related books that may do it better is not relevant to the claim). What is important to consider is an additional aspect of games with respect to books: gameplay.

mrowakus said:
While I agree with your saying that books are a different medium than games I think it still pays to draw parrallels between them both.

For instance in the "learning of the rules" of a game one could see "learning of the rules" of a story - how is it structured? Why is it structured in this way? Does this peculiar mode of narration serve any purpose? Similarly games, require some experimentation - what you can/cannot do? Where can you go? Who can you interact with? What does this button serve for? etc.

Having said that, there always needs to be a 'hook' - regardless of whether we are talking about a novel, film or video game. People need something to intrigue them, draw their attention, inspire them, make them look forward to next occurence. Slow beginnings are ok, provided that there's expectation or promise of some dramatic event, or - in case of games - some reasonably challenging gameplay.

I agree with that, good books can show how to intrigue the player in terms of story. Positive examples are useful in this case, but nature of the game medium precludes the transferability of examples of slowly developing books to the medium of games (the fact that books take longer to set up the world by the virtue of reading being a slow process).

A beginning part of the book has to accomplish the task of defining the „world“ and important characters of the book, while setting up the plot. An beginning part of the game, in addition to that, has to expose the user to the preferably intuitive interface and, most importantly, to the basics of gameplay. Exposing the user to actual gameplay is what takes the most time and effort, as the atmosphere and the story sort of come along for a ride due to the nature of the medium.

As for the rest of the post, I'm in almost complete agreement. There is also the additional unfortunate fact that modern games fail even in particular departments, with badly written formulaic stories and badly designed systems.

To sum up, what the well designed single player computer game has to offer, in addition to well implemented specific components of the game is:

- an introductory part that efficiently and quickly exposes the player to the atmosphere, the user interface and the gameplay
- a cohesive game (atmosphere + story + gameplay)
- progression in challenge
- frequent incentives and rewards for the player

If the game fails to provide that, there is a good chance that it will arrive at the point where the player is no longer having enough fun (meaning the player has better alternative use of free time) and will be abandoned.

Last edited:
GothicGothicness said:

As ChibiMrowak said you are wholly misunderstanding the point. I never said I want games that are easy to master, just not games that the player has to force herself to play until they reached a good enough skill level for it to start being fun. You seem to somehow confuse both things: If you are not suffering enough the game is too easy! Or something, and that's ridiculous. We work to get better at games, and I can assure you I have had to work my pretty butt off to get good at some of the games I enjoy, because we enjoy them and thus want to enjoy them even more, not because the game tortures us with its boredom and awfulness.

So I never said anything about instant gratification. I said a well designed game starts being fun and becomes more and more fun as you master the system instead of starting boring and becoming less and less boring until you break through into it starting to become fun. Does that mean the system is easy to master? Nope. Does that mean the gameplay isn't challenging? Nope.

I already mentioned Bayonetta and DMC3 as examples. That you are talking about them as games that you master in an hour because they are fun from the very start does nothing but show you are talking about things you know absolutely nothing about. Get yourself DMC3 or DMC4, then tell me how far you are getting in "Dante Must Die" or "Heaven or Hell" mode after an hour. Yet playing them is fun, so you keep at it until you become better.

Just to make this clear…

Being fun from the very beginning tells nothing about a game being easy to master.

Accesible fun does not mean casual gameplay, it just means the game keeps being fun even if you aren't aiming for the top.

*cackle*cackle*cackle*

GothicGothicness said:

Which by itself doesn't mean anything. I have had the patience to become a medium-to-high level Danmaku player, which requires lots of effort and training even when the games' systems require two and a half minutes to master, and most players never manage to become high level players no matter how much they train.

Yet at the same time they are fun from the very instant you start playing them, and become more and more fun as you become better and better. Even those players who will never get to be really high level players have fun with the games.

Take a loot at this video, at this video, or, even better, at this video for examples. What's so shallow about them? How far you believe you will be after an hour?

GothicGothicness said:
This can be applied for a lot of things, people spend time practicing they don't enjoy because they know it is going to be fun later on. The trend right now is towards instant satisfication and there is no patience at all, which becomes very appearent and clear from your comments. If the first 15 minutes are not good? screw this.

Do you really want to jump to conclussions about me and go Ad Hominem with someone whose live you know nothing about? We were arguing so nicely up until now, let's no go down such a foolish path.

And, indeed, it is my only prerogative as a consumer of entertainment to give a product a chance. If the product can't win me over by the time my patience is over then we go our separate ways as we were not made for one another.

Do you marry a guy because maybe you may love him someday? Do you choose a career because maybe you will get to enjoy it someday? Do you choose a hobby because maybe some day you will get to enjoy it? Of course not, you do all of those things because you enjoy them now and hope for that enjoyment to keep growing bigger and bigger. The same applies.

To follow those examples, meanwhile, does the fact that I enjoy being with my boyfriend means there's no further depth to be found? Does the fact that I enjoy dancing means I don't have to work my butt off before being at the level I want to be? Does the fact I enjoy languages means I no longer have to study like a crazed bitch before being able to fluently read a new one? Of course not.

Enjoyment is not the enemy of hard work, independently of what protestant work ethic wants you to believe.

I, myself, can enjoy Xcom even when I suck at it so badly it's humiliating, that's why I keep playing it every now and then. And with every new tragic failure of a run I get a little better, and learn to enjoy it more. The horror! I'm such a superficial girl! I should suffer my games before I am allowed to enjoy them, amirite?

Last edited:
Having said that, there always needs to be a 'hook' - regardless of whether we are talking about a novel, film or video game.
The way you put it makes this almost sound like artists should compromise their work at all costs for the sake of capturing their audience :).

A hook in this case can be defined as pretty much anything internal to the work (internal, as in not the amount of money one paid for it, for example) that makes one continue to interact with the work (read it, watch it, play it).

And if one doesn´t find anything such in there and stops, it still doesn´t automatically make the work bad or its beginning "hook-less". It may simply mean that, at least for the time being, one´s preferences are incompatible with the work.

Slow beginnings are ok, provided that there's expectation or promise of some dramatic event, or - in case of games - some reasonably challenging gameplay.
Not really, I think. Everything may be ok, as long as it doesn´t make you stop, period.
Writing style may be enough for books. Art direction or quality of writing may be enough for games. For example.

I really enjoyed Brazil. Someone else didn´t and stopped watching 20 minutes in. Does it mean Gilliam and co. failed their duty, or not?
The only objective failure here is compatibility check in the "someone else"´s case and I probably wouldn´t be happy if Gilliam and co. would have adjusted their film for the sake of that "someone else".

I´ll leave other media aside since it would likely unnecessarily clog up the subject.
I don´t think the accent on "duty" to provide hooks in the beginning is all that relevant, really.
Instead of potentially compromising their work for the sake of using game´s beginning as a showcase for full game or hooking customers right off the bat, developers´ duty should first and foremost be to provide sufficient and honest info about their game externally. Customers´ "duty" to themselves should be to check this info out before obtaining the product. And there´s of course also journalists´ duty to inform about these products sufficiently, honestly and independently.
Well, don´t we have a lot of failures here :).
Ideally, one should be able to determine if a game is worth investing one´s time to finish it before obtaining the full product.
Even though developers and journalists fail at their duty I outlined above for most of the time, I would still argue that if you shelve a game after 15 minutes of playing, its qualities must´ve been so strongly incompatible with your preferences that they should be easily picked upon even in the current info climate. That however doesn´t include incompatibilities stemming from some technical elements like UI or control scheme if a demo isn´t available.

I used the full intro plus the first level just to show how fifteen minutes can easily establish gameplay, mood, and style. The point isn't "look at the awesome video of a bodysuit'd witch kicking angelic behind" but "look at how fifteen minutes tell you all you need to know about the game to decide whether it is your kind of thing or not."
I´m gonna believe you that in the case of Bayonetta the first 15 minutes indeed provide enough info to determine whether the game is one´s cup of tea or not, but I´d say that doing so in the case of cRPGs this tends to be difficult.
For example, in a game that takes player character(s) from level 1 to level 30 and has combat in the spotlight, you usually have to trust developers on encounter design and character development for a while, if the main reason why you started the game were its supposed tactical intricacies.

So far not a single counterexample of a game that is boring at the start and magically becomes a good game at a certain later portion has been given, and even if it was given, it would still be an example of bad design.
I´ll give you a counterexample. Planescape: Torment. Now what.
(Not that I personally consider mortuary boring, I really dig it actually, but more than once I´ve seen other people mentioning it as a boring introduction after which the game becomes a lot more fun.)
I wonder if you´ll manage to reconcile this statement in a way other than saying that the people who found mortuary boring, but enjoyed the game afterwards, suck at assessing the game´s qualities :).

As for the rest of the topic, I think that, at least nowadays, the main reason why people don´t finish video games isn´t the lack of "hooking material" in the beginning, but simply failure to maintain interest throughout. Developers are actually pretty good at this initial hook business, but the games tend to not live up to them later, repetition probably being the most usual culprit.

I haven´t read the whole thread and admittedly probably didn´t pay sufficient attention to the rest, so here´s a preemptive sorry if I misinterpreted some of the points :).

Last edited:
I´ll give you a counterexample. Planescape: Torment. Now what.
(Not that I personally consider mortuary boring, I really dig it actually, but more than once I´ve seen other people mentioning it as a boring introduction after which the game becomes a lot more fun.)
I wonder if you´ll manage to reconcile this statement in a way other than saying that the people who found mortuary boring, but enjoyed the game afterwards, suck at assessing the game´s qualities :).

Actually, your response has already been preaddressed in my previous post, as well as in more detail in one of the posts by Vii Zafira. However, I'll reiterate.

There is absolutely nothing that qualitatively sets apart the atmosphere, the writing and the gameplay (which heavily relies on reading the text and choosing roleplaying dialogue options in addition to combat) in the Mortuary from the same features in the rest of the game. From the opening of the game, you are exposed to the "weird" setting, characters and plot, verbose writing of high quality for a computer game and unchallenging combat. This continues throughout the game.

A player, who completes the Mortuary (which doesn't take a long time), knows exactly what to expect from a game and his expectations will be met (with the setting and characters getting even more interesting from additional exposure) if he continues playing the game.

Torment is the same game at the Mortuary as it is in the Hive and in the Sensate's halls. There are no radical differences in gameplay, atmosphere and writing that would justify the claim of someone being bored at the Mortuary enjoying the game later on.

I simply cannot accept that, without an elaborate response by one of such people to the question: "What can change nature of the game has changed in the nature of the game between the Mortuary and when it became fun, and at what point did that change occur?".

Last edited:
DeepO said:
I really enjoyed Brazil. Someone else didn´t and stopped watching 20 minutes in. Does it mean Gilliam and co. failed their duty, or not?
The only objective failure here is compatibility check in the "someone else"´s case and I probably wouldn´t be happy if Gilliam and co. would have adjusted their film for the sake of that "someone else".

That's a pretty good point. While it doesn't mean he should adjust his film for the sake of someone else neither does it means those with whom the film doesn't click are somehow wrong or lesser than those with whom it does click.

And by duty I was mostly referring to an idea from literary critique in which the reader can't be held accountable for losing interest in a given work, nor for disliking it. In other words it isn't the duty of the reader to read something she isn't enjoying, but the duty of the writer to make the book enjoyable for her. If she is in the intended audience and fails to enjoy it, the writer failed at conveying what he wanted to convey. If she is not in the intended audience and fails to enjoy it, no one's at fault and they were simply not made for one another.

But you can never declare, from a logical standpoint, the reader to be at fault for not liking a given work, as she has no duty to like it. Even in the off case the reader lost interest on it because of elements alien to the book, like personal problems and responsibilities, you can't fault her for that, as she never had a duty towards the book to begin with.

I am sorry if I have used less precise language than I should have used. I haven't been sleeping well lately and my arguments may become slightly confusing as a result, I beg forgiveness.

DeepO said:
For example, in a game that takes player character(s) from level 1 to level 30 and has combat in the spotlight, you usually have to trust developers on encounter design and character development for a while, if the main reason why you started the game were its supposed tactical intricacies.

You are misunderstanding the point, so I'll use an example closer to the games you may know: At the beginning of Xcom you lack access to most tools you will use, to most enemies you will face, and to most situations you will need to solve. You don't need to know that, however, to decide whether or not it is your kind of game after playing a couple of missions, nor do you need to have finished it before saying this game isn't for me. You will neither know the story, for example, but you can decide if the mood and the atmosphere work for you or don't, and if you are interested in knowing the story to begin with.

In the same way, you don't need to be a BlazBlue world class player to decide whether or not BlazBlue is the kind of game you want to play.

If you are the intended target and the game only becomes fun once you have all the tools, are facing all the enemies, and are solving all situations it just means the stages previous to the endgame were badly designed, and that the mechanics governing the interaction of those elements needed more work.

Following what we were saying before if you are a WWI strategy nut and play a game intended for WWI strategy nuts and want to die the fault is with the game. If you are a hardcore FPS player and play a game intended for WWI strategy nuts and want to die, neither is at fault. The player, however, can't be at fault, as she has no duty towards the game to begin with.

However, saying "She should have mastered the game before dropping it" is placing the guilt on the player for not liking the game. That's not logical, as it implies a duty towards the game that doesn't exist to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom