Avernum 2: Crystal Souls - Dev Update & Sales

Regarding the interface:
There is no explicit quuest marker, the game just shows points of interest markers on the zone map and your party's location on the world map.

it shows locations related to quests as well as specific information related to a quest (like go here to get your reward for slaying the salamanders quest), so yes, they're quest markers. It's not blinking arrows everywhere though.

duerer, Why do you even need a journal if there are quest markers? Don't you just follow the markers?

Besides that there is actually a journal which lists all the quests...
Click on journal, and then top right on "current quests"

it shows locations related to quests as well

Oops, my mistake. You are right, there are rudimentary quest markers, but no Bethesda-like arrows.
I guess what confused me is that the point of interest markers are the same as the quest markers: a generic question mark icon...

Besides that there is actually a journal which lists all the quests…
Click on journal, and then top right on "current quests"

… that often does miss relevant info, such as who is the quest giver, or where to report once the quest is over… It happened to me quite a lot in Avernum 1 (the remake) and made me really mad.

Problem is that due to my work habits, I play games in short bursts with long hiatus periods. So, once I return to my beloved Tower of Magi weeks later, I just can't remember in details where I am, what to do, etc…

So, I still trust my handy notepad. It never fails. ;)

Never had that issue with Escape from the Pit. While I also use a second PC as "notepad", I list all the "to do" stuff there, like "Door @ Fort Garnick Start, Lockpick 3 req". But never felt the need to note down quest givers and such.

Never had that issue with Escape from the Pit. While I also use a second PC as "notepad", I list all the "to do" stuff there, like "Door @ Fort Garnick Start, Lockpick 3 req". But never felt the need to note down quest givers and such.

Be an old fart like me and you'll appreciate all memo you can get! :D

I just don't like quest markers. I prefer an NPC to tell you where to go, and then it's recorded in a journal or something and there are no markers. When you have to follow markers it starts to feel like a robotic experience rather than a natural one. In my opinion, of course.

I haven't played the game, but the way I understand this, it's just as if the quest giver showed you the spot on the map, and you took a note. If that's the case, I have nothing against it personally (it's something I do in real life when canoeing), it's not like they are guiding you by the hand all the way. (If I understood correctly of course.)

Back
Top Bottom