Let's Play Eye of the Beholder (youtube)

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
Last edited:
It says: "This video is private!" when I click your link.

Last edited:
I have to say that I have far more fun to make the second game. The first game is so empty compared to it.

wow, trippy to hear the official Jemy narraration!
Trippy and … wicked! (I love this word)

Only watched 5 minutes so far (need to let it preload a bit), but it looks well done. You might want to rename the titles to include the number of parts, e.g. "blabla part 01 of 32" or "blabla 01/32".

Well done JemyM. It's a great game for sure.

You should check out the Amiga versions of 'Eye of the Beholder' 1 and 2 redone by CFou.
CFou has done a fantastic job on his AGA versions with full automap! Much, much better than the PC versions. The automap makes a world of difference.

I've been playing part 1 on the PC using WinUAE.

EYE OF THE BEHOLDER 1:
http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB1+AGA+GAME

EYE OF THE BEHOLDER 2:
http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB2+AGA+GAME

That's a so crazy idea but I get caught looking at it, :biggrin: I played this one at release but not sure I ever finished it. Let watch more. :)

There's no automap? How you navigate is impressive I would be lost thousand of times even knowing the game. No automap isn't something I can't play much more. The ton of weird tricks is impressive, it gives the wish to give a try but I wonder if Land of Lore would not be a better idea or perhaps EOB2 or 3.

CFou has done a fantastic job on his AGA versions with full automap! Much, much better than the PC versions. The automap makes a world of difference.

I've been playing part 1 on the PC using WinUAE.

EYE OF THE BEHOLDER 1:
http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB1+AGA+GAME

EYE OF THE BEHOLDER 2:
http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB2+AGA+GAME

I have both installed and in working order on my WinUAE harddrive.

This time I optioned to play the PC version and I only have a couple of levels left on the 2nd game before I can publish that one too. EoB3 is unfortunately not available on Amiga yet, even if it's clearly inferior to EoB2. I don't really need the automap for now since I know these games throughout, however, I realized while making this walkthrough that both the flavor text and the ending was missing.

The Flavor Text means that the characters are making comments on what they encounter in the area, sometimes provide useful hints or just tell you what a place is supposed to represent. This really assist the mood in EoB2 but it's not present in the PC version of EoB1. The Amiga version also have better music, better sound effects and a fully animated ending. The only advantage with the PC version used to be the 256 colors and that doesn't apply anymore thanks to the AGA version.

I hope they will somehow be able to transfer EoB3 to Amiga. If that happens I will probably replay all three games in WinUAE.

There's no automap? How you navigate is impressive I would be lost thousand of times even knowing the game. No automap isn't something I can't play much more. The ton of weird tricks is impressive, it gives the wish to give a try but I wonder if Land of Lore would not be a better idea or perhaps EOB2 or 3.

Without automap you learn through practice. The maps in EoB1 are fairly small, although the 9nth map is really the longest I think. Navigating in EoB2 is easier since most rooms have a very distinct look and feel to them. There are a lot more decorations etc in that one. It's first when you reach the later floors in the Azure Tower (or top floor in Silver Tower) that you sometimes wish you had a map.

In my opinion, my playthrough of EoB2 is more perfect, but I know that game most compared to one and three. I look forward to play EoB3 again though since it's the one I played the least number of times.

Trippy and … wicked! (I love this word)

Only watched 5 minutes so far (need to let it preload a bit), but it looks well done. You might want to rename the titles to include the number of parts, e.g. "blabla part 01 of 32" or "blabla 01/32".

I didn't know how youtube sort the videos, whether it recognizes that 02/32 is after 01/32 etc, so I didn't dare to name them that way. Right now however, it's in the description of each video. But sure, I might be able to go back and rename them.

I also have it installed on my WinUAE harddrive. WHDLoad is a thing of beauty if you are into Amiga gaming. Lots of very nice RPGs on the Amiga.

Without automap you learn through practice. The maps in EoB1 are fairly small, although the 9nth map is really the longest I think. Navigating in EoB2 is easier since most rooms have a very distinct look and feel to them. There are a lot more decorations etc in that one. It's first when you reach the later floors in the Azure Tower (or top floor in Silver Tower) that you sometimes wish you had a map.

In my opinion, my playthrough of EoB2 is more perfect, but I know that game most compared to one and three. I look forward to play EoB3 again though since it's the one I played the least number of times.
You should provide a link as clear for EoB2 than you gave for EoB1, with a list of all video for EoB2.

For the lack of map I see roughly what you mean as last years I played/replayed anyway few games with none, like Dungeon Master and Citadel but for this last one, you could find some stuff to get an in game automap for most levels. My problem is I don't have a good spacial organization, so it's not natural for me. Even if i could do a little without for both I had to map anyway. With Citadel when you can't have the automap you can use an in game tool for manual map, and for Dungeon Master I played in a window and with my very large screen I had the place to use something to make a manual map beside game window.

It's a little heavy, and honestly I'm not sure EoB1 can compare well to Dungeon Master and worth the hassle. But I see the links for AGA version mention an automap, that's amazing, for Dungeon Master I don't remember there was a faithful version with automap included.

It's strange anyway that EoB didn't included automap, or at least EoB2. Well I don't remember well when automap appeared but I believed sooner. Citadel released roughly at same date than EoB1 had an automap feature but made it a game element.

You definitely give me the urge to try again some game like that after those I currently play. The choice will be among again Dungeon Master, or EoB1, EoB2, Land of Lore 1 or 2. I think Dungeon Master had already a lot of in game objects and maze interactions for games like that and a puzzle/exploration tricks diversity including all later similar games, but have some nice graphics or try a clone instead of trying one more time DM, is appealing.

When I play the great remakes of Dragon Quest on DS, that's a piety that such games like Dungeon Master and those successors don't get a modern remake, that would be so great.

There are levels in EoB2 that can be quite brutal if you do not have a map at all, some real mazes even. :)

That said, I finished EoB2 today and in total it's actually fewer parts than EoB1, even though I do everything there is to do in the game.

Looks like a fun old-school game to play. I'm wondering if I could get it running tho…

Works flawlessly in DOSBox. Will probably not even start in later editions of windows.

Thanks for posting. I've never played these games - looks fun.

I'm rather surprised at how obscure some of the puzzles seem to be - there is one part where you place a bunch of darts into some holes. Does the missing "flavor text" help out that much?

Looks exactly like the type of game I was looking for to keep myself bussy while I'm on the train. How friendly is it towards players new to that type of rpg?

(I still know the AD&D rules from BG & BG2 btw)

Back
Top Bottom