Diablo 3 - Interview @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
This Diablo III pre-release interview at Rock, Paper, Shotgun is almost irrelevant now but it features Leonard Boyarsky and gives me the opportunity to link some Diablo III error gags. A snip:
RPS: Just to go back to the world briefly, there was a shift from the first Diablo, which was very claustrophobic, a dungeon full of horrors, and then Diablo II planted a world on top of that. In the third game did you want to continue that progression?
Boyarsky: Well, we tried to open up the world because we want it to feel like a place you’re inhabiting. But we did want to go back to…well, it’s very hard in an action game to get that horror feeling, but we wanted to try and invoke that and get back some of the Diablo I stuff. That’s one of the reasons we have you start in Tristram, besides the story itself. We thought it would be really cool to revisit that area and revisit the cathedral that you were in back then. We really wanted to touch on that and make it part of the experience.
While you're looking at that error screen and waiting to play, you might enjoy (or not) IGN's Best Error 37 Jokes and Qt3's Beginner's Guide:
After the jump, I bring you the wisdom that can only come from first-hand experience
Error 37 means the server is overloaded and you won’t be able to connect. Error 315300 means that you CTL-C’ed the password from the front end of Diablo III and have been CTL-V’ing in a series of asterisks as a password, and that’s not your password. Error 3006 means the game can’t retrieve the character list you haven’t even made yet because you’ve been getting errors 37 and 315300 for about an hour. Error 3005 is pretty self evident in that it tells you that you’ve been disconnected. Of all the errors, error 3005 is the most newbie friendly.
More information.

The jokes were funny, of course I'm not trying to play D3 atm! :lol:

Daniel.

Sigh and I was really hoping Diablo 3 would hold me over till I got to play the similar type of game I'm really looking forward to - Grim Dawn. Maybe next week if the server situation is stabilized.

The servers have been really good so far today, but of course the real question is what things will be like when we get into prime time.

The only way they tried to go back to Diablo 1 was by bringing all the names involved
From NPCs to Mobs and the music composer. Unfortunately all failed, and the game is washed up.
The last act has the less inspired environment design.. well come to think of it D1 and D2 had the same issue.
I really don't get these designers, how can you have any claim on immersion when at the end a popup message appears " THE GAME HAS ENDED "

I am playing the game and enjoying it immensely.

The writing is top notch , you can really feel Boyarski's involvement

Yeah it's a fine game. Enjoying it. I'm not sure it should have taken 12 years to make, but....

Back
Top Bottom