Starting Avernum

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch
Saw it mentioned in another thread so thought I'd ask. I've got 1 through 6 and also Escape from the Pit...

I've fired up both #1 and EftP and besides the tutorial they seem pretty identical. I was thinking of playing the original first as the series in that form is complete. Then again at the rate I finish games #3 in the updated engine will probably be coming out by the time I get through parts 1 and 2. (I'm not interested in going back to the Exile incarnation).

So what are people's thoughts? Graphics are nice but no biggie for me, more interested in gameplay mechanics and story. Does the newer version bring anything more in that department compared to the older release?

Thanks

The Avernum: EftP FAQ should answer your questions. Specifically:

Will the Story Be the Same?
Yes. The same characters and the same storyline, though there will be lots of new dialogue, locations, quests, special encounters, and stuff to explore.

Will the Game System Be the Same?
No. The game system has been heavily revised. It's a mix of Avernum 6 and Avadon: The Black Fortress. It is still entirely skill-based and most of the skills are the same. However, the way you train has changed. (..)

Personally I would (and did, actually) start with Escape from the Pit and keep the original versions in the attic, as I'd see no reason to play them other than historical curiosity -- and we have the CRPG addict to satisfy that need. :)

Glad to hear of someone else giving Avernum a go. :)

There are several 'Watch members to my knowledge (HiddenX, Txa1265, Melvil) that have played a huge amount of this series dating back to the Exile days who will encourage you in the right direction.

For me like Arhu, my first Avernum experience was Escape from the Pit as well.
Here's a link to my little impressions thread: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18136 (Beware of spoilers though towards the end…)

I enjoyed it so much that it inspired me to buy and complete both Avadons and AV2: Crystal Souls as well. My intention is to wait for the AV3 remake and then proceed over time with the rest of the series. I certainly recommend the experience if you like huge open worlds to explore, no level scaling, with more than a few nods to mid period Ultima. (4+5)

I also started with Escape from the Pit and then continued with Crystal Souls. I don't see much of a point to play the older ones, unless you have nothing else to play and cant wait until they are remade.

I played Escape From the Pit and am currently knee deep in Crystal Souls. I really like all of the Spiderweb games that I have played so far, which includes the aforementioned Avernum's as well as both Avadon games. The Avernum games have good writing and storylines, and also good classic RPG game play. They are also very big games and full of secrets and side quests. The only possible drawback is that the graphics are pretty plain looking, but I actually like the graphics of the newer Spiderweb games.

You are really in for a treat! Like others have suggested, I'd stick with the updated versions of the games and just proceed from there. You have many hours of excellent gaming in your future =)

I'm also a relatively recent player of these games. I played Escape from the Pit and Crystal Souls then tried the old 3rd game or second iteration of the 3rd (I had the six pack from GOG) but was kind of spoiled by the newer versions and couldn't really get into the older engine. So I skipped that and played 4, 5 and 6 which are a bit more modern. Loved all of them I must say. Then went to try out Avadon and for some reason lost interest. Might have been overdosing so I'll come back to it and Geneforge later on. Hard to say which to start with. It's by no means certain the update of the 3rd would be out before you finish Crystal Souls because these games are very addictive but you should love every minute whatever version you start with.

Back
Top Bottom