Trails In The Sky - World Building, Immersion

Aubrielle

Noveliste
FuzzicalFighter sent us a fantastic editorial about world building and the enjoyment of video game worlds, focusing on Trails in the Sky as a shining example.

Thanks, FF!

More information.

Hey Aubrielle, no problem! :) I watched the video and thought it was very thought out and interesting, so I figured others at the Watch might enjoy it as well.

The Trails series really is great, I just ordered the second part of the Trails of Cold Steel today. Also bought a backup PS3 recently to make sure I could play it just in case my 2009 model croaks, LOL.

Not hard to do to a Bethesda game.

Just watched a little bit of the middle of the video, but the first thing I thought about was the Suikoden series. Suikoden 3, specifically, which has a ton of great world-building and more charm than you can shake a stick at! For fitting 108 playable characters in a single game, they do a tremendous job of conveying the personality of each and every character, with words and also with gestures, facial expressions, etc. So much freaking personality in that game, it's still a marvel to me to this day!

Plus, more games need to try the Tri-Story System (or whatever it's called) from that game. It tells an overarching story from the perspectives of 3 main characters + a 4th main character later. The stories intertwine, you see some of the same events from different perspectives, etc. In short, it's brilliant! I'm not aware of many games that take that specific approach that Suikoden 3 had.

The Trails series really is great, I just ordered the second part of the Trails of Cold Steel today. Also bought a backup PS3 recently to make sure I could play it just in case my 2009 model croaks, LOL.

Yesss xD I'm hoping to go pick that one up tomorrow myself. The first one is soo long, and I'm lucky if I'm 25% of the way through, but I can't resist getting the sequel to fill up the shiny "special edition" box thingy. :)

This is on my wishlist for so long now, but every time before I push the button I think, hm... I don't really like the (anime) style.
Anybody to sell me on story or game mechanics?

This is on my wishlist for so long now, but every time before I push the button I think, hm… I don't really like the (anime) style.
Anybody to sell me on story or game mechanics?

-Many hours of playtime (50+ hour story)
-True turn-based, position-based combat with fun things thrown in to keep it interesting (certain "events" fall on certain turns, like more XP, buffs/debuffs, mana regen, etc)
-Combat is avoidable, and enemies can be seen before you fight them. No stressful, annoying "invisible enemy" random encounters
-A colorful, tangible world to explore
-Interesting, fully customizable magic system where you "build" each character's magic capabilities however you wish
-Each character has unique skills to use in combat, and the combination of skills with custom-built (even micromanaged, if you want) magic allows for astonishing flexibility
-Long, well-crafted story

If the graphics bother you that much, catch it on sale, but I would try this one eventually. :)

Good video, I might take a look at some more of his stuff. I could imagine myself getting into these games.

Back
Top Bottom