Women's Football / Soccer World Championship

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello, everyone,

just curious what others think about it ?

The World Championship is currently taking place here in Germany - and I do hope I can get a ticket for a macht ! ;)

Web pages : http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/index.html
And http://www.uefa.com/womensworldcup/index.html

So far I've seen a "test match" or what it was - and I must say that I liked what I saw. :)

It's a bit different than men playing it … I think I might like it :)

The technique alone … Well, playing football is = playing football … But yet … There's something different to it … I cannot quite point it out … It's almot as if it wasn't as aggressive as men's football matches are …
It's a bit … As if it was more … fair, more fairness and more emphasis on the technics and on the play than in men's matches … Which are rather looking like "real men's competitions" …

It's different to describe … But I'm looking forward to it. :)

Alrik

I do not enjoy women football. For sure,they try their best but i think it lacks compared to men football. Though i enjoy other women team sports.
And irrelevant, but i think that the Germany team did some photo shoots with some minor nudity. Am i right?

I saw the US team play a few years back when we were good. Not being exposed to quality professional level soccer on a regular basis, I enjoyed it as much as I do the MLS here (which is to say it was fun, but I'm not following it religiously or anything).

I do not enjoy women football. For sure,they try their best but i think it lacks compared to men football. Though i enjoy other women team sports.
And irrelevant, but i think that the Germany team did some photo shoots with some minor nudity. Am i right?

Yes, they're in the current Playboy issue. Of course I only went to that site only for the interview. ;) None of the top stars is involved.
Playboy even pulled the classic "a feel for the ball" women football joke.

I like to watch women volleyball more than football... it has nothing to do with all the jumping up and down, really!

Too bad the interview is in german. And nice pictures ;)

Well, a particular sentence from that interview strikes me as very cliché-laden. *rolls eyes*

Women football is still quite fun to watch. But I will be the first to admit that football is probably the sport were the women are the furthest away from men. I don't think even the best worldcup women teams would stand a change against an average swedish team.

Short, concise, and honest :)

Much like always (apart from the first two concepts)…..

I've seen Germany vs. Canada (2:1), Columbia vs. Sweden (0:1) USA vs. North Korea
(2:0) and Brazil: Australia (1:0).

The quality of the games I've seen have matched men's football games equally, lots of infighting too. Lots of freekicks as well. Just as many as in a football game where men is playing. The German team looks especially strong this year, but as far as I know the German womens' succer team have not lost a football/soccer match in 12 years or so.
Based on that, I'd think or suggest that at least this team would have a good chance against say Bayern München or HSV Hamburg.

I do not find women's football/soccer lacking compared to men playing football. What I've seen so far in this year's tournament clearly suggest that women playing football are as good as men when it comes to both the tactical and strategically placement on the field. There are sideshift, there are footballs being played in the deep splitting the defence of the opponent team, the football are being played around in (small) triangles upon awaiting the chance to send it down the line and finally the ever popular down to the goal line (back line) and pass it in front of the goal, the women playing soccer or football have mastered as well.

Well, I'll try to be nice here. First of all Germans lost for example in olympics.

Second of all there is no way in hell they'd have any chance against Bayern münchen male team. If you can't notice a difference try recording a male game and watch it in parallell with a women one. Or watch one of each live or get glasses :D

I enjoy watching it. It shouldnt be compared to men's footie in absolute terms. The pace is slower and the game is less physical than men playing, but the game is "cleaner" and as tactical.

Women football is still quite fun to watch. But I will be the first to admit that football is probably the sport were the women are the furthest away from men. I don't think even the best worldcup women teams would stand a change against an average swedish team.

IIRC Umeå (back when they were racking up champions league titles) lost to a male youth team. Size and sheer strenght helps a lot in footie. Still it's not a relevant comparison, we dont compare women running 100m with men, do we (I know you dont:))? The only interesting question is whether the sport is fun to watch or participate in.

Very few sports are unisex. Archery and some other highly technical sports have an even playing field, but that's about it.

Worth mentioning is that women's football has had a lot less time to develop as well. Last time I watched women's football was about 5 years ago - it's developed quite a bit. The biggest difference is the rate of hesitation: five years ago the players hesitated a lot more in most situations, especially in physical challenges. I've seen none of that in the few games I've watched now.

The biggest limiting factor right now is technique: the female players just don't have the same base technique. You often see poor first touches and running with the ball in high tempo also very often leads to pure fumbles. This, I believe, is very much a matter more of how early men start playing with balls compared to women than genes, and this is also a matter that's bound to get better with time. So female football will probably continue to move closer to the male counterpart qualitywise.

Übereil

But I will be the first to admit that football is probably the sport were the women are the furthest away from men.

No, that would be American Football. My wife has a friend that plays on a 'professional' women's team. We watched them play once. I'm pretty sure my high school team would have stomped them.

I have been and will continue watching. I absolutely love sporting events that truly is a "world" championship. Not like the "world" champions of the 4 major sports here in the U.S. Although I love them all except basketball.

No, that would be American Football. My wife has a friend that plays on a 'professional' women's team. We watched them play once. I'm pretty sure my high school team would have stomped them.

Well, no argument there :p

Back
Top Bottom