RPGWatch - Five Years Anniversary: Win a Copy of Frayed Knights

Just wanted to say congratulations and thanks to the RPGWatch team! Like many others, this is my goto site for games news.

I already purchased a copy of FK, so please don't enter my name in this thrilling contest.

One of the ol' timers here can probably better answer that question since I was just a lurker back then. For years I didn't even know about the forums. I just came to RPGDot for the excellent CRPG new coverage.

Here is what I do know; RPGDot was sold to Jolt. For awhile it was fine. Dhruin and the rest helped the transfer from the old staff to the new by still posting newsbits and whatnot, but a lot of us didn't like what Jolt was doing with RPGDot. So RPGWatch was born. I found out about RPGWatch by searching the forums there and seeing it mentioned that it was created by the old staff. That was when I stopped going there everyday for the news and started coming here.

I can't really remember what was different about RPGDot with Jolt in command, but since I preferred the original crew as opposed to the new crew I left and came here.

That's pretty much all I know. I was still an internet newb back then and didn't start reading/posting in the forums until I came to RPGWatch. Some of the others could probably fill in the gaps :)

You hit the nail on the head, Skaven. I think you found a concise way of explaining the split, without going into boring details. Kudos!

found the site when searching for a new RPG news site, you guys are awesome, all the news in one place and the layout is simple but very effective. Found out about RPGs that i didn't know about.

Yea, I should have been clearer. I forgot some people might not know about the Politics & Religion forum :)

Anyway, here is something that may interest some of you. This is what RPGDot looked like back when Arcanum and Wizards & Warriors were still in the headlines.

You can view most of RPGDot throughout the years as well as RPGWatch. It's changed a bit since 2000 ;)

RPGDot internet archive from 2000 to 2008.

RPGWatch's internet archive.

Thanks for the links! It deosn't look like the forums were archived though. I click on a topic and get a "not archived" error. Can forum archives be found somewhere else?

Thanks for the links! It deosn't look like the forums were archived though. I click on a topic and get a "not archived" error. Can forum archives be found somewhere else?

I think Myrthos has a complete backup.

I'm a RPGdot user from the very beginning - the idea was great - thank you Rendelius :) and thank you to Myrthos & staff for sustaining the idea of interesting crpg-news.

The masterpiece of RPGdot was the NFG - the Non-Flamers Guild - many members of the NFG are now RPGWatch users and/or staff. The spirit of the NFG continues here: Humor, moderate moderators, adult behaviour …

I found the dot when I lurked at one of the two Fallout Fan sites. Fan sites like the latter two degraded into "adult" behavior instead of adult behavior. One day a message went out about a top 100 RPG poll and they decided to game it because "The Dot" accepted anonymous posts.

It was the perfect site for me - and with unregistered comments able to be posted we had more devs sneaking in and posting one or two thoughts on rare occasion.

I used to comment on the news all the time - but it got more and more ugly as even my adblocker couldn't keep up with the site design. Fortunately, we have the Watch now.

Without which I would not have known about what a great game Frayed Nights is.

I learned about "The Watch" when suddenly someone posted in the Larian forums about it. ;)

Gongrats ladies and gents! Watch is my number one source for crpg-goodness :) You people have made amazing job by keeping this site running over five years. If we count the time some of you spent running rpgdot…Quite an accomplishment I'd say!

I recall how I found dot many years ago. I downloaded a demo of this weird german rpg called Gothic (which none of the local game shops had never heard of) So I had no luck finding the main game itself, untill I stumbled on this site called rpgdot/gothicdot. :)

Has it only been five years? Feels like I've been visiting it daily for longer than that.

Frayed knights could be the best game I haven't played, so here's me holding my thumbs.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the threads are backed up. You can get as far as seeing the topic of the thread, but that's as far as it goes. However, most of the articles are backed up so there is that :)

So... when is the deadline for this, and does this apply to all RPGWatch readers around the world?

Count me in

I'm a big fan of old-school rpgs and with not much new out there in that vein, I'd love to win a copy of Frayed Knights. Good luck, everyone!!

Happy B-day RPGWatch from a long time lurker and first time poster!

I asked nicely last time and i didn't win. Give it to me now.

Well done on this sites success! I also used to hang out at rpg dot as well like some of the others who have posted. I'm not interested in the game Frayed Knights, just not to my taste, but I never win anything anyway, so it's safe, lol!

Back
Top Bottom