Darksiders 2 - RPG?

You consider killing mobs and collecting loot grinding. I'm sure lots of people consider solving puzzles grinding.

Oh, and the genre is called adventure - not casual adventure.
Um… You never played a real adventure game, am I right?
It would be really good if you grabbed at least one Kalypso adventure title on Steam sale this weekend.

And no, I don't consider killing mobs and collecting loot grinding. I consider killing ENDLESS RESPAWN mobs and collecting ENDLESS (CRAP) loot - grinding.

Um… You never played a real adventure game, am I right?
It would be really good if you grabbed at least one Kalypso adventure title on Steam sale this weekend.

No, you're wrong again :)

And no, I don't consider killing mobs and collecting loot grinding. I consider killing ENDLESS RESPAWN mobs and collecting ENDLESS (CRAP) loot - grinding.

Sounds pretty grindy, that's for sure.

Have you considered that my goal is to get the message across, and specifically not to be diplomatic about it?

Yes, hence my sarcastic comment.

Just for the record: Do you then confirm that your objective is to get a message across yet you intentionally avoid the use of any form of diplomacy?

When two people are communicating there is both a transmitter and receiver. If one of either ends fails, the communiction fails. But of course, this is just basic stuff.

Would you agree with me if I say that trying to get a message across is ineffective, or even pointless, if the receiver is unreceptive or if that message is not willingly processed?

Would you say that someone with good communication skills would actively turn a potentially receptive receiver into an unreceptive one?

According to you, would I be correct if I said that pushing someone into a defensive position will most likely make them unreceptive?

@joxer RPG elements or not, you would call Darksiders II a "grinder", so skip that, it's not your cup of tea ;).

I didn't buy Darksiders… It's described as Action/Adventure which usually in the end utterly disappoints me if I buy.

If you're interested in giving it a try, I noticed it's on sale right now at GamersGate for only $6.80

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DARKSIDERS/darksiders

Or if you own a PS3 or Xbox 360, you can simply download the playable demo.

Personally, I think it looks silly.

Yes, hence my sarcastic comment.

Just for the record: Do you then confirm that your objective is to get a message across yet you intentionally avoid the use of any form of diplomacy?

When two people are communicating there is both a transmitter and receiver. If one of either ends fails, the communiction fails. But of course, this is just basic stuff.

Would you agree with me if I say that trying to get a message across is ineffective, or even pointless, if the receiver is unreceptive or if that message is not willingly processed?

Would you say that someone with good communication skills would actively turn a potentially receptive receiver into an unreceptive one?

According to you, would I be correct if I said that pushing someone into a defensive position will most likely make them unreceptive?

This is a public forum - where lots of people participate. There is not one messenger and one recipient. My words are for everyone here.

I have a very different idea of efficient communication than you seem to have. Then again, it's not my concern whether people want to openly admit their mistake or whether I can make them receptive through manipulation or cordial delivery of the message.

The key is the message in itself - and my experience is that while people can appear very combative when they're debating "online" - the message is heard regardless. I don't want to blur or confuse the message by covering it in diplomacy - because then any agreement will be tainted.

Also, agreement in itself is of no interest to me. I learned long ago that my approach to online discourse would generate endless negative responses and many, many people who would confuse my style with my person. But since I've never been interested in being popular or being likable to strangers based on misinformation or diplomatic approaches - it doesn't matter.

Again, I care about clear presentation of the message. People inevitably change and grow as time passes. The clearest message is the one easiest to remember. Even the most unreceptive have a memory - and when they're ready to grow, then any message relating to truth or of any real value will be of more use than a diplomatic agreement reached with half a heart, ages ago. Whether they acknowledge the source or not, is of zero importance. Such is the way of the hedonistic utilitarian.

This is a public forum - where lots of people participate. There is not one messenger and one recipient. My words are for everyone here.

I have a very different idea of efficient communication than you seem to have. Then again, it's not my concern whether people want to openly admit their mistake or whether I can make them receptive through manipulation or cordial delivery of the message.

The key is the message in itself - and my experience is that while people can appear very combative when they're debating "online" - the message is heard regardless. I don't want to blur or confuse the message by covering it in diplomacy - because then any agreement will be tainted.

Also, agreement in itself is of no interest to me. I learned long ago that my approach to online discourse would generate endless negative responses and many, many people who would confuse my style with my person. But since I've never been interested in being popular or being likable to strangers based on misinformation or diplomatic approaches - it doesn't matter.

Again, I care about clear presentation of the message. People inevitably change and grow as time passes. The clearest message is the one easiest to remember. Even the most unreceptive have a memory - and when they're ready to grow, then any message relating to truth or of any real value will be of more use than a diplomatic agreement reached with half a heart, ages ago. Whether they acknowledge the source or not, is of zero importance. Such is the way of the hedonistic utilitarian.

Translation:

I,m right and your all wrong. I,m so smart everyone should stop and absorb my every word. Anyone that doesn't get my message is too stupid to get it but when that get smart enough will realize I'm right and the rest of you can just screw off because my message is king and I don't care what you have to say.

… it's not my concern whether people want to openly admit their mistake …

… and when they're ready to grow …
It is hard to overlook an obvious pattern here.
Would it be a rhetorical question if I would ask you if you take the time to listen to people and/or if you allow yourself to benefit from other people's experiences?

I have a very different idea of efficient communication than you seem to have.

I learned long ago that my approach to online discourse would generate endless negative responses .
We certainly agree on one thing and that is that our understanding of the concept of efficient communication is fundamentally different.

The key is the message in itself - … - the message is heard regardless.
There is a difference between heard and listened to.

I don't want to blur or confuse the message by covering it in diplomacy
The use of diplomacy does not necessarily imply any distorsion of the message. It is simply a useful tool to increase the chances that your (unaltered) message is willingly received and listened to.

I've never been interested in being popular or being likable to strangers based on misinformation or diplomatic approaches
Trying to win a popularity contest is another extreme but that is not the point here. When your goal is to get your message across, what would someone intent to gain by actively pissing people off?

Also, agreement in itself is of no interest to me
Then why bother with posting during a discussion? Why not just deliver the message, stop there and let us dumb folks absorb it so that we can understand it in the far future when we outgrow our natural state of stupidity? :)

I learned long ago that my approach to online discourse would generate endless negative responses …
And what have you learned in the mean time regarding communication skills?

It is hard to overlook an obvious pattern here.
Would it be a rhetorical question if I would ask you if you take the time to listen to people and/or if you allow yourself to benefit from other people's experiences?

What benefit are you referring to in this case?

Are you listening to me and benefitting from my experience right now? It seems to me you feel I'm this obnoxious moron who's super arrogant and only wants to act superior.

The reason you have that perception is that you're actually not listening to what I'm saying - and you've already formed a picture in your mind about who I am - and you absolutely CAN'T have spoken out of turn with you initial post regarding my communication skills, right?

That's natural. You want to validate that opinion - and there's little I can do.

The use of diplomacy does not necessarily imply any distorsion of the message. It is simply a useful tool to increase the chances that your (unaltered) message is willingly received and listened to.

I don't agree. It diffuses the message and makes what's "listened to" different from the actual message. Such is my experience. That's not to say it's entirely impossible to convey a precise message with diplomacy - but that it's almost always less efficient. Truth hurts, one might say - but it's also the most beautiful thing in the world.

Trying to win a popularity contest is another extreme but that is not the point here. When your goal is to get your message across, what would someone intent to gain by actively pissing people off?

I'm not actively pissing people off. I'm simply not using diplomacy. My intention is never to piss anyone off - but it does happen with alarming frequency. Can't say it's a big problem, though. As long as the message is received - and I tend to succeed at that - at least.

Then why bother with posting during a discussion? Why not just deliver the message, stop there and let us dumb folks absorb it so that we can understand it in the far future when we outgrow our natural state of stupidity? :)

You're reading negative opinions where there are none. I don't consider people stupid because there's something they don't know. That's pretty universal - and I'm very far from not being affected by it myself.

I bother posting because I enjoy it - and I think it's important to communicate your thoughts and opinions. Hoping it will benefit others - and maybe I'll learn something in the process.

Should be pretty easy to understand.

And what have you learned in the mean time regarding communication skills?

What are you asking, exactly?

Last edited:
Translation:

I,m right and your all wrong. I,m so smart everyone should stop and absorb my every word. Anyone that doesn't get my message is too stupid to get it but when that get smart enough will realize I'm right and the rest of you can just screw off because my message is king and I don't care what you have to say.

That would be a very inaccurate translation - but if that floats your boat :)

*holds X and flails about with a sword larger than him in this thread until it turns into a discussion about Darksiders 2*

*holds X and flails about with a sword larger than him in this thread until it turns into a discussion about Darksiders 2*

Well, the game is supposed to come out very soon - isn't it?

Should be today or tomorrow or something.

I haven't played the first one - but the second one looks pretty cool. Seems like a nice mixture of action and upgrades :)

What benefit are you referring to in this case?
Well, you may not know a priori until you listen. But I was talking in general and not about anything specific.

It seems to me you feel I'm this obnoxious moron who's super arrogant and only wants to act superior.
(For the record: Those are your words, not mine.)

No. If there is one thing that I consider you NOT to be, that is an obnoxious moron. Otherwise I wouldn't be bothered with interchanging posts with you.

The reason you have that perception is that you're actually not listening to what I'm saying - and you've already formed a picture in your mind about who I am -
That's natural. You want to validate that opinion - and there's little I can do.
No. I am not merely validating an opinion. If that were the case, I would just simply "think" my opinion and not waste any effort writing about it.

I DO listen to you and as a matter of fact, I NEED to listen to you if I want to know where you are coming from.

First of all, I want to clarify that I am by no means questioning WHAT you are saying but rather HOW you convey your messsage. I am convinced that you would be much more successful in your communication with some fine tuning of your wording and tone.

For example: I have noticed in some posts that you tend to go quickly (and IMO unnecessarily) into the offensive, without being provoked. In this particular thread you literally wrote "regardless of your delusional state" and with such words you cannot blame anyone for reacting negatively. To me that was a WTF moment and I literally thought to myself: "What the hell is this guy doing?". If your intention is to piss someone off and to get the upper hand then such wording is more than adequate but if not, then it is simply "unfortunate" and an unnecessary trigger.

Well, I am not going to lecture you on how to say things as that is simply not my business to do so. Then again, I am simply pointing out an alternative.

I don't agree. It diffuses the message and makes what's "listened to" different from the actual message. Such is my experience. That's not to say it's entirely impossible to convey a precise message with diplomacy - but that it's almost always less efficient. Truth hurts, one might say - but it's also the most beautiful thing in the world.
I think it is more related to its execution rather that the diplomacy in itself. Then again, no one said that good communication and diplomatic skills are easy to come by, quite the contrary. But IMO, knowing how to avoid "worsening" the flow of communication is a very valuable trait.

I'm not actively pissing people off. I'm simply not using diplomacy. My intention is never to piss anyone off - but it does happen with alarming frequency.
I think this is the most interesting and relevant comment. Have you ever thought to yourself why that occurs with such alarming frequency?

Just out of curiosity, does it only happen with on-line discussions or also in real-life?

Can't say it's a big problem, though. As long as the message is received - and I tend to succeed at that - at least.
What feedback do people give you that makes you conclude that the message is received loud and clear? Especially when they act negatively towards you.

Well, you may not know a priori until you listen. But I was talking in general and not about anything specific.

Why would you think I'm not listening?

(For the record: Those are your words, not mine.)

No. If there is one thing that I consider you NOT to be, that is an obnoxious moron. Otherwise I wouldn't be bothered with interchanging posts with you.

Well, that's always something :)

No. I am not merely validating an opinion. If that were the case, I would just simply "think" my opinion and not waste any effort writing about it.

Ok, it's just that I find lots of people seem to enjoy validating their first impression rather than actually keeping an open mind. Given your relatively strongly worded first post in this thread about it - that would seem to be your primary interest as well.

But I'm glad that I was wrong - as it means there's a chance we can understand each other.

First of all, I want to clarify that I am by no means questioning WHAT you are saying but rather HOW you convey your messsage. I am convinced that you would be much more successful in your communication with some fine tuning of your wording and tone.

If my goal was to get a pleasant and accomodating response, yes. But that's not really what I'm trying to do.

Naturally, it has to do with Joxer's style and his constant repetition of all action RPGs being "grinders". He's welcome to his opinion, naturally, but after having witnessed his last several posts carrying exactly the same message - I felt it was appropriate to point out that RPG elements are a part of the genre, regardless of what he personally thinks about it.

For example: I have noticed in some posts that you tend to go quickly (and IMO unnecessarily) into the offensive, without being provoked. In this particular thread you literally wrote "regardless of your delusional state" and with such words you cannot blame anyone for reacting negatively. To me that was a WTF moment and I literally thought to myself: "What the hell is this guy doing?". If your intention is to piss someone off and to get the upper hand then such wording is more than adequate but if not, then it is simply "unfortunate" and an unnecessary trigger.

I understand how you feel. I actually do that deliberately - but not because it pisses people off. I do it because it IS delusional to claim that character evolution through loot and upgrades isn't an RPG element.

The thing is, though, that I suspect Joxer understands this. He understands that such things belong in the RPG element category - he's just letting his distaste for "grinders" overshadow his sense of reason.

So, when I call him delusional - I do it thinking that he's most likely NOT delusional - I just want him to realise that the position he loves to repeat endless IS actually delusional - and his position is more about the emotional investment in a genre that he loves - as much as we all love RPGs.

So, I'm kinda "playing his game" in an effort to demonstrate how unreasonable his position is.

He's actually telling people that if they enjoy Action RPGs - they must love endless stupid grinding. That's a very aggressive and unreasonable claim - and you might say I don't think diplomacy is the way to respond appropriately. He's ridiculing Skyrim fans and those who enjoy these elements, if you read his responses.

So, I would probably have been less "antagonistic" if he was being reasonable. But I always take care to convey the message as accurately and truthful as possible. He's being delusional if he actually believes what he's saying - which I don't think he does.

My goal isn't to be "right" or to get him to admit it. My goal is to send a message that's clear - and that might be reflected upon in private after this debate is long since over.

Well, I am not going to lecture you on how to say things as that is simply not my business to do so. Then again, I am simply pointing out an alternative.

You're not the first one to do this, and I understand where you're coming from. I hear it from a lot of people - and I understand the cost involved. I'm not perceived as a particularly pleasant individual on most forums I visit - and that's ok.

But I can't go against my very firm belief that opinions should be rational and that emotional investment in the irrational will only harm the truth. I've been unable to find a way to convey precise messages through diplomacy - and I actually think it's incredibly harmful to the truth when we place too much emphasis on the emotional position of those who're part of the exchange.

Of course, any discourse is a lot more pleasant when everyone involved are emotionally "safe" - and we don't step on toes. But the end result is almost invariably watered down and based on wanting to feel good more than wanting to tell the truth.

Like, when your GF asks if something looks good on her - and you tell her what you think is appropriate. I'm the kind of guy who does his utmost to be honest in all these scenarios. Sometimes, I manage some diplomacy - because obviously I don't enjoy seeing my loved ones hurt - but if they're asking, I tell the truth even if it means I have to be unpleasant. As you can imagine, that's quite costly for a long-term relationship.

I'm just hardwired to want and desire truth - assuming it exists. It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I think it is more related to its execution rather that the diplomacy in itself. Then again, no one said that good communication and diplomatic skills are easy to come by, quite the contrary. But IMO, knowing how to avoid "worsening" the flow of communication is a very valuable trait.

Yeah, many people seem to agree with that. I'm a relatively social individual - and I'm quite well liked both at my job and in my personal life. Might be hard to believe - but people actually come to appreciate my approach to these things. Not always - and there are always battles to be fought. But I'm not displeased by the overall result.

Online, however, is another matter altogether. I think it's because the fact that I don't take much of anything seriously is not conveyed very well. As in, I think we're all fundamentally flawed and completely full of crap and delusions. I don't take criticisms personally because I'm so used to looking at my own flaws - and I tend to agree with much of what people point out. Even when I don't - I recognise that most people aren't actually trying to be cruel - and if they are, it's a misunderstanding more than anything.

I think this is the most interesting and relevant comment. Have you ever thought to yourself why that occurs with such alarming frequency?

Yes, people don't like being confronted - and people tend to assume that when their feelings are hurt, it's because I want to hurt them - and not because I'm actually doing my best to be clear and honest. If I'm wrong - I will fully accept that, as long as it can be explained.

Just out of curiosity, does it only happen with on-line discussions or also in real-life?

Almost never in real life. People "get" me in real life - because I make it very, very clear that I think no more of myself than I do of them. I also use a lot of sarcastic/black humor when I point out flaws - and I tend to put things into perspective in a way that, apparently, most people accept.

What feedback do people give you that makes you conclude that the message is received loud and clear? Especially when they act negatively towards you.

Well, if we're talking about online communication - it's been my experience that the people who start out disliking me the most, are also those that tend to end up appreciating my approach the most. As in, even if I'm perceived as an arrogant prick by some people - at least they know exactly where I stand.

Of course, there are exceptions to this as well. But I've had several "feuds" with individuals on this site - and it seems that even if I'm still not particularly popular - the people in question have learned that I'm not really "just" a prick - I'm DArtagnan and I sometimes have a good point :)

That could be entirely my fantasy - but that's my impression.

Also, in real life - I've often had people come to me after several years and tell me that I was absolutely right, about this or that - especially regarding human relationships and states of mind. I tend to point out the most obvious things as soon as they become evident (without much sugarcoating) - and people naturally become very defensive - as we're talking about deeply personal things. But I only ever do it with the intention of helping people - and only when I'm truly convinced. I can be wrong, naturally, but there are certain things that people tend to not be aware of, precisely because other people are generally very polite and diplomatic about such things.

Most often people who are very close to me - and again, for whatever reason - I'm a relatively popular person and it seems people enjoy my company. Maybe it sounds immodest - but that's my interpretation of always being invited to things - and people commenting on wanting me at whatever social occasion.

I realise this sounds like self-glorification - and I might very well be delusional - as you can never truly know what people are saying behind your back. I'm sure lots of people think I'm an idiot - but if so, they're not conveying that message very successfuly IRL.

Yes, it unlocks tonight! I was trying to finish the first game before it came out but I don't see that happening now.

Yes, it unlocks tonight! I was trying to finish the first game before it came out but I don't see that happening now.

Wow, something related to the original topic of the thread. Unfortunately I have to wait for it another week here in the land of giants and self-important people.

pibbur who hates the americans ... eh perhaps not.

I don't know you well enough to say if your that way or not but that specific post definitely gave me that impression.

Well, that's unfortunate - as I'm not a person who would say or feel such things, but that's ok. I don't have to be understood by everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom