Sword Coast Legends - Review @ Newshub

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Christopher James Underwood (Newshub) explains why Sword Coast Legends is a diamond in the rough:

Game Review: Sword Coast Legends

We're not in Neverwinter any more (well, not yet at least.)

I've spent pretty much an entire decade waiting for a new D&D game to be released. I'd even go so far as to say that the lack of such a game left a hole in my life; a hole that nothing, not even vengeance (shameless Once Upon A Time reference) could fill. Well maybe not, but you get the point! Some might argue that Obsidian Entertainment's Pillars of Eternity could be considered a more than worthy attempt at filling such a void, and whilst that game was great (thanks mostly to its nostalgia-provoking style and mechanics) it obviously wasn't a D&D game. But right here, right now, at long last I have actually found something to scratch that incessant adventuring itch; and that something is N-Space's Sword Coast Legends.

Taking place in what is assuredly one of the most popular fantasy settings ever conceived, Sword Coast Legends has been designed from the ground up as part of ongoing efforts to expand and improve the 5th Edition product line of the Dungeons and Dragons ruleset. Built to tie in with the launch of the Rage of Demons campaign, this game is nothing short of love letter to the classic games that inspired it. It offers players one of the most well-crafted and confidently designed RPG experiences available on the market at the moment.

[...]

Over the course of this review I've probably sounded suspiciously positive about this game in the face of the otherwise near-universal disdain shown for it because it wasn't the second coming of Neverwinter Nights. Well, just like the return of Christ, that's never going to happen and people should stop expecting it to. Is this game perfect? Not by any means, but no game ever is, especially in this day and age where post-launch patching and overhauls are an industry rule rather than the infrequent exception they once were.

Despite a few minor flaws (most of which have either been imagined or blown way out of proportion by more vocal commentators) this game is a diamond in the rough: one that is definitely worthy of your attention and your time. I have faith that N-Space is going to maintain a steady stream of updates and content expansions to build upon the solid foundation that they've already established. Whether you're a tabletop D&D enthusiast new to the digital format or a seasoned CRPG veteran with even an ounce of patience, then you should share that faith. I wholeheartedly suggest that you give this game a try, even if you've been put off by the negative press surrounding it. You might find that you actually like it despite of what you've been told, and discovering the unexpected is what being an adventurer-at-heart is all about.
More information.

Yes I agree : I've just finished it (in more or less 50 hours for those who would like to have an idea) and really enjoyed it.

Never the less, it's also true it has some issues which damage a bit the gameplay : The game is still excellent and I don't regret at all to have bought it, BUT I would have enjoyed it more with a better map system and a few clearer explanations on some quest. Because it's always annoying to waste time trying to find something not clearly indicated. For example, at the end of one quest, they tell you to return to the sewers to inform your contact there of your success : Well, there are 2 sewers (the normal one and the abandonned one) and each has 2 levels and quite big ones... so I've spent more than 30 minutes runing in those sewers trying to figure out where was the contact in question and never found him ! Rather discouraging but hopefully it was a secondary quest so no big deal. It's also linked to the map issue : Indeed, if they had showed on the map where the contact was waiting, I could have went there quickly but they visibly didn't thought it could be helpfull to do so.

I'm in no rush, so I will give it a patch or two before diving in, but it's great to see some positive reviews for this one. Looking forward to giving it a go!

As one who has followed this game closely it suffers, IMO, the fact that it isn't sure what it wants to be. I want this game to succeed but it is going to need not only some patches but some serious additions as well.

"this game is nothing short of love letter to the classic games that inspired it"
How is that possible when the fans who were the intended recipients of said love letter are showing "near-universal disdain" for the game as he admits?

"It offers players one of the most well-crafted and confidently designed RPG experiences available on the market at the moment."
Seriously? It is clearly very low on the RPG totem pole vs. other games on the market at the moment (Pillars, DoS, Witcher). This would only be true if you consider only DnD RPGs on the market, because there aren't any others on the market! Oh I guess maybe they can claim victory over Neverwinter MMO.

"it wasn't the second coming of Neverwinter Nights. Well, just like the return of Christ, that's never going to happen and people should stop expecting it to"
Uh? Why is that? And didn't N-Space essentially market the game as such?

"Is this game perfect? Not by any means, but no game ever is, especially in this day and age where post-launch patching and overhauls are an industry rule"
So we should be happy with this crappy game because the industry norm is to release crappy games? WTF?

I honestly don't even know where to start with the last paragraph. To summarize...loud negative voices with unfounded criticisms are confusing us and we are missing out on this little gem which will be good at some point in the future when N-space releases a bunch of updates. And if you don't buy this right now you either lack patience, faith or an adventurous heart.

The only thing in this review I agree with is stated in the first few sentences...the lack of a good DnD RPG has created a hole in my life. Sadly it remains a hole.

Well the camera is really easy to use. I only have less than a hour of play, I don't think even with patches it will be much of a game.

I see action combat and stop reading. I did complete Pillars of Eternity (read: rtwp), but I highly doubt this game has the same level of writing.

The original review reads a bit like a payed review tbh.

I also bought the deluxe version of this game hoping that it was at least be a decent take on D&D. Its not. THe graphics feel very indi game ish, the loot system is poor and the characters not very memorable.

"this game is nothing short of love letter to the classic games that inspired it"
How is that possible when the fans who were the intended recipients of said love letter are showing "near-universal disdain" for the game as he admits?

"It offers players one of the most well-crafted and confidently designed RPG experiences available on the market at the moment."
Seriously? It is clearly very low on the RPG totem pole vs. other games on the market at the moment (Pillars, DoS, Witcher). This would only be true if you consider only DnD RPGs on the market, because there aren't any others on the market! Oh I guess maybe they can claim victory over Neverwinter MMO.

"it wasn't the second coming of Neverwinter Nights. Well, just like the return of Christ, that's never going to happen and people should stop expecting it to"
Uh? Why is that? And didn't N-Space essentially market the game as such?

"Is this game perfect? Not by any means, but no game ever is, especially in this day and age where post-launch patching and overhauls are an industry rule"
So we should be happy with this crappy game because the industry norm is to release crappy games? WTF?

I honestly don't even know where to start with the last paragraph. To summarize…loud negative voices with unfounded criticisms are confusing us and we are missing out on this little gem which will be good at some point in the future when N-space releases a bunch of updates. And if you don't buy this right now you either lack patience, faith or an adventurous heart.

The only thing in this review I agree with is stated in the first few sentences…the lack of a good DnD RPG has created a hole in my life. Sadly it remains a hole.

I was going to write a whole rant about the review, but you summed it up perfectly. I can only thank you, kind sir
:biggrin:

Well, just like the return of Christ, that's never going to happen and people should stop expecting it to.

I find this offensive. :(
This comment is totally unnecessary and RPGWATCH should at least look at post/reviews before reposting.

This comment is totally unnecessary and RPGWATCH should at least look at post/reviews before reposting.

Maybe you should not read everything than. It is impossible to filter out everything that is offensive to everyone.

It's easy actually. Here is stephanvos' post with all possibly offensive content filtered out: "This… is… and… at… at… /…"

The biggest problem I found with this game so far is the clutter of it all and lack of any feel of control of your party. A fight starts and is over before I have even given a control.

There are some nice things about the game so far though, live I said above the camera controls are really well done. The scooting is a step above how POE did it but besides that....

Maybe you should not read everything than. It is impossible to filter out everything that is offensive to everyone.

Agreed. Take your religion to the P&R subforum, please.

I'm not religious at all so the comment doesn't offend me but……

To be fair, Stephanvos didn't bring his religion here the author of the article did.

Since the author felt compelled to make the religious comment in the article and this thread is about the article then it's fair game to discuss.

I have to agree the comment is totally unnecessary and the author could have conveyed his point without bringing religion into it. It feels a bit like he intentionally wanted to insert his religious opinion in to a game review for some odd reason.

I've started a poll on the SCL forums to rate the game, seperately asking for a rating of the single player experience.
As I think a lot of watchers are interested in single player only (lik me), I share the interim results here:

1. How do you rate SCL as a whole on a scale of 1-10?
    1. mean: 6.0
    2. median: 6
  2. How do you rate SCL single-player experience (story campaign) on a scale of 1-10?
    1. mean: 7.2
    2. median: 8
  3. How do you rate SCL multi-player experience (including DM tools) on a scale of 1-10?
    1. ​mean: 4.9
    2. median: 5
(n = 96)

Of course the numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt as it's not verified that the participants own and played the game at all.

I have to agree the comment is totally unnecessary and the author could have conveyed his point without bringing religion into it. It feels a bit like he intentionally wanted to insert his religious opinion in to a game review for some odd reason.
Sorry? I disagree with what Underwood have said in that part of his review but I defend his right to use any words and sentences to convey his views in a most appropriate (for him) way.
I don't do it often but, if I feel that to convey my meaning I have to use Devil's, Jesus', Jehovah's, Shiva's (etc.) names in vain, so be it.
And if somebody doesn't like it? I can understand that, but it will not stop me from doing it again.

Now if he would have said "This game will touch you like Mohammed touched children".. then it would have been censored, his office set on fire, and a jihad pronounced on his family.

Back
Top Bottom