Kingdoms of Amalur: Tedium?

I just want to say that I appreciate Fluent's passion. What's the world like without fanatical gamers?! Boring! I also think Fluent should be offered a job at 38 Studios.

Oh no! You caught InFluentza....

Hey, I'd love a job at 38 Studios. PR isn't really my thing, but I imagine for the right price, it could be :). All I'm doing is spreading the word on a great game though. I am very appreciative that I was able to experience it, and I want others to experience it and hopefully get the same feelings from it that I have.

If they remove endless respawns from the game or fans make a mod for it, I'm buying. If not, well, there are always nounlimitedrespawn singleplayer games to buy.

Sure, I'll try it again (once it costs less than a happy meal). ;)
You'll regret it if you do. Seriously it turned out to be one of the worst ARPGs that I've ever played and incredibly dull to boot.

I made the mistake of not doing my usual forum and other research post release and just stupidly ponied up for it on release day and pretty much regretted it ever since. (I usually don't like ARPGs but did like Divinity and Torchlight, and had fun with Dungeon Lords CE(appreciated the attempt to undumbdown ARPGs but loathed the bugs and the crappy release then CE with more stuff later release) Titan Quest, and somewhat less so with Dungeon Siege II. Never got into Diablo 1 & 2, as they just never grabbed me.)

The quests are pretty meh, as is the writing although some of the lorestones are decent but the vast majority of it is little better than garbage.

The loot seems nothing special to me, nor the magic system, nor the crafting/alchemy, and the art is offputting.

Legend of Grimrock was a better pre-order for me, and I am sure that Torchlight 2 will be as well.

I am giving the game another go and surprisingly I am finding it ok. Not my favourite type of game but it seems worth finishing ionce. I am playing it on hard and finding it very very easy though… I only die when I try to dispel stuff in low health :S I think the main reason is being able to get good gear early on (like in divinity 2 this would made the game really easy..) and the potion mechanics probably (like in D2).

I have to say its no surprise that the developers went bankrupt. I dont know much about budgets when it comes to video games but seems to me that voicing every single character on the game with at good number of lines isnt a good decision. Also the number of areas in the game is way over the top… rpgs always find a way to recycle these and in the amalur once you clear an area you advance to the next as in mmos.

I finally got sick of it when I received a quest to recover something or other from a diplomat. I pickpocketed it but that broke the quest line. Apparently I had to murder her and take the item off her corpse. Moronic quest design.

I cannot honestly think of any game, in any genre, that I've played which is blander than this one. There may be blander games, but I haven't played them. Snake on my old, old mobile phone was more immersive than this.

Back
Top Bottom