Metal Gear Solid 5

I'm guessing I would as well. I've never liked having to aim with analog sticks. What about everything else though?

I haven't played Phantom Pain or GZ yet, but I recall the earlier games in the series clearly feeling like they were designed around using a gamepad. They're also the type of games where I appreciate the analog controls for movement.

The menus are designed for a controller, that much is painfully obvious. The movement controls are fine with mouse+kb, though.

However, aiming is such a crucial aspect of the game that I'd hate to play it with a controller. There are too many situations requiring quick and precise reactions - and I don't feel comfortable playing with a controller when aiming is such a vital aspect of doing well in the game.

YMMV, obviously.

Personally, I don't get why anyone would insist on using keyboard+mouse for a game like this…
Because it's fun, hast, precise and feels comfortable.
The game outside of inventory/crafting/menus perfectly fits K+M. ICM part however is the same old horrible design for invalids that have only thumbs and someone chopped their 8 fingers off so poor sods have to rotate everything, 1 by 1 thing.

In live mode, it's not the controls that suck in this game, it's irritating joystick tooltips that are also featured inside game manual - for PC! Unbloodybelievable.
Did they put K+M in manual or as tooltips for Playstation?

Some examples:

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

I'm not saying the game is bad. I'm just saying that if they were aiming for GOTY on PC, they should have made UI better. If TW3 could and FO4 most certainly will, I just can't forgive it.

Oh and a bug that occurs eventually in the chopper and then multiplies the distortion on each flight - solution is to restart the game (textures messed up due to some memory leak or something, but I haven't seen an issue like this since old days of 3dfx' TNT2):

pic4.jpg

Well, that was the most painfully annoying introduction sequence in recent memory. Here's hoping the game gets better.

I think it looks pretty marvellous. I shall give this a go while the RPGs on my list are still brewing.

It looks like I'll be getting this soon, and for free. Nvidia is currently including a copy with the purchase of a 900 series Geforce.

Not sure if I could get into this without playing the other games in the series first though.

Not sure if I could get into this without playing the other games in the series first though.

I was thinking the same thing, but I've decided to go ahead and play it as soon as I have the time.

I know myself well enough to realise I'll never get through all those cutscenes of the old games - which means I'll never learn the story anyway.

This game has what I must say is one of the worst introduction sequences of all time. If I hadn't heard so many good things about it, I'd have given up on it already.

Nothing is less interesting to me than having no control and watching constant explosions in B-movie slow motion style. I guess it's an asian thing to overdo everything.

I'm sure most will love it, though. The spectacle and all that.

I actually played the first game in the series and it was really good... haven't played any game in the series since that however... maybe time to do so!

I actually played the first game in the series and it was really good… haven't played any game in the series since that however… maybe time to do so!

I played the US version of the original Metal Gear a loooong time ago, but I've only played Metal Gear Solid long enough to try it out. I've still got my original PS1 copy somewhere, and I have the Gamecube remake as well.

I'm thinking about getting the PS3 HD collection now.

Yes, I might see about the PS3 HD collection while I'm waiting for my Steam controller - this sort of game could be an ideal test case for it.

EDIT: I see that someone has put together a video of the story so far - there's 28 hours of cutscenes!

Last edited:
I played the US version of the original Metal Gear a loooong time ago, but I've only played Metal Gear Solid long enough to try it out. I've still got my original PS1 copy somewhere, and I have the Gamecube remake as well.

Metal Gear started on NES.

Just don't.
You really don't need to read nor play anything before MGS5.

Just don't.
You really don't need to read nor play anything before MGS5.

While that's probably true, I think I would appreciate it more if I was familiar with the characters and events of the previous games.

Besides, I'm curious how valid the high ratings are. Every previous title has a user rating of at least 8.7 on Metacritic.

Curiously enough, Phantom Pain is the lowest rated game of the series if you go by the user scores. Given how recently it was released though, I wouldn't put much stock in that. It also has an average critic score of 95%.

Curiously enough, Phantom Pain is the lowest rated game of the series if you go by the user scores.

That might just back backlash because Konima dumped Kojima Production. The next MTG won't be made by them.

While that's probably true, I think I would appreciate it more if I was familiar with the characters and events of the previous games.
I can't agree since first two games you're playing a future clone of the MGS 5 hero, but… Your call.

Besides, I'm curious how valid the high ratings are. Every previous title has a user rating of at least 8.7 on Metacritic.

Curiously enough, Phantom Pain is the lowest rated game of the series if you go by the user scores. Given how recently it was released though, I wouldn't put much stock in that. It also has an average critic score of 95%.
Critics are not doing it a favor.
The game has several flaws, huge flaws if you ask me and so far I don't see how it can get more than 8/10.
Although, unlike all those critics and users I still didn't finish the game, maybe it does get better towards max later. But somehow I don't hold my hopes.
And when you buy a game critics say 10/10 you do expect a nearperfect game so fun you don't even remember annoyances and imperfections if there are any. And trust me, MGS 5 is full of annoyances.

TBH, it got max for the playstation version and critics there love to be "blind" on horrible inventory, on too long loadscreens, on too much of grinding, on disastrous checkpoints that are so rare you can easily lose an hour of your game, etc.
They judge the book by it's cover.
And also consoles audience is used to dumb and dumber games. To them, MGS 5 will definetly look as a masterpiece. On PC… Sorry. It's a great game, but a masterpiece it's absolutely not.

Last edited:
I do have to wonder why I'm listening to cassette tapes when I carry around an iDroid with a holographic interface ;)

Once again, I assume it's an asian thing.

Anyone find it odd how no one mentioned those messages played right in front of you? Even Spielberg or Cameron would be made a laughing stock, if they tried to pull something like this.
Kojima sure loves Kojima. :p

What messages? The com feature was dealt with ages ago in the MG series. That is part of the thing: no repeating.

Metal Gear Solid
Feather Pillow Soft

Back
Top Bottom