I want to build things

Build things as in a citybuilder ?

Simcity series, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Industy Giant, Hotel Giant, Tropico, ... ? These kind of games ?I can probably come up with a few others and If you haven't played the ones I have played I'll tell you what I think about them. :)

Or for the ultimate 'build something' game, try the free 'A tale in the desert', you will build stuff ... many times

Or probably Majesty ?

Only PC or also other platforms like the NDS ?

I know the feeling...

I keep finding myself walking around Home Depot loooking at tools, pulleys, chain, wood, railing, conduit, you name it. I have the urge to just build something, i just dont know what... hopefully I'll be getting a house in the coming year, then I'll have plenty of room to build, um, something..

As for games, I know this sounds weird, but Runescape! Seriously, Ive been playng this cheapie, ugly, free (we pay the 5.95 for all the added content) and it's a crafter's paradise. You gather everything from milking cows to lobster traps and fly fishing, there's jewelry, weapns, accessories. Make molten glass! Raise crops! make Tuna w/ corn & potatoes! YUM! Its great!

Im telling ya, the graphics arent state of the art and until you get to the point that youve got a little bit of a bankroll going it's tedious. Hell, it's still tedious. Gloriously tedious! Build, grind, build grind! **takes a swig of some strange liquid, cackles maniacally and disappears**

1701AD deserves mention.

The Cultures, too. They're similar to the Settlers, with some enhancements.

Nowadays, both the makers of The Settlers & the Cultures co-operate in making the Settlers games ...

Build things as in a citybuilder ?

I don't really care what I'm building as long as it's fun. :p

Simcity series, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Industy Giant, Hotel Giant, Tropico, ... ? These kind of games ?I can probably come up with a few others and If you haven't played the ones I have played I'll tell you what I think about them. :)

I played Rollercoaster Tycoon when I was a kid (...or rather when I was an early teen) and it was somewhat fun at the time. Retried it quite recent and it got boring really fast. I played Tropico recently too and had a similiar sensation. Fun for a while, but then I ran out of scenarios and strategies etc.

Only PC or also other platforms like the NDS ?

Only PC.

I know the feeling...

I keep finding myself walking around Home Depot loooking at tools, pulleys, chain, wood, railing, conduit, you name it. I have the urge to just build something, i just dont know what... hopefully I'll be getting a house in the coming year, then I'll have plenty of room to build, um, something..

Erm... I don't know that feeling...

Im telling ya, the graphics arent state of the art and until you get to the point that youve got a little bit of a bankroll going it's tedious. Hell, it's still tedious. Gloriously tedious! Build, grind, build grind! **takes a swig of some strange liquid, cackles maniacally and disappears**

Well, I'm not sure how much of an influence the graphics were on me quitting Dwarf Fortress before really getting into it. The extremely steep learning curve probably was a big reason too, but only being able to see the game in 2d and having to jump between planes probably took away most of the fun of the thing. What's the fun of having a multi-floor dungeon if you can only see one floor at a time?

Oh, and thanks for the tips! I'll check them out. :)

One game I liked was Stronghold (and the second doesn't work on my computer). I find the idea of building some kind of fort/defensive structure and then have it attacked by monsters interesting. I know you can do that in DF but... I don't have the patience to get into DF. I think it's got the ingrediences, but just too much of it. I'm not interested in micromanagement on that level.

Übereil

One game I liked was Stronghold (and the second doesn't work on my computer). I find the idea of building some kind of fort/defensive structure and then have it attacked by monsters interesting. I know you can do that in DF but... I don't have the patience to get into DF. I think it's got the ingrediences, but just too much of it. I'm not interested in micromanagement on that level.

Übereil

Have you played Dungeon Keeper 1, 2 and what was the other one... Spies? (you are the evil guy building a lair and you have the spies and good guys coming in trying to capture you)

Nope. And you since you can't buy it anywere and since it probably won't work on Vista and since the graphics are probably mindnumbingly old...

I'm interested if they release a new one though. Because I really feel like I missed this game (I was like 10 when it came out though...).

Übereil

Dungeon Keeper 2 was a WinXP compatible release, IIRC. Vista should be able to deal with it. Don't know how easy it would be to purchase on your side of the pond, though.

You ought to check out 1701AD (Anno1701 for Euros, I think). Good game. A lot like Tropico, but adds some aspects that help with the "burnout" problem.

Dungeon Keeper works OK on XP, idk about Vista though. Anno 1602 is a good game too.

Dungeon Keeper?? Railroad Tycoon?? You folks have been hanging around GOG a bit too much, methinks.

How about X3: Terran Conflict?

I built that station furball myself. That big enough for ya? I got a few more but that's the biggest station complex I have so far in a sector that isn't full of screenshot-mangling dust. You also get to build a space fleet while you're at it. There's a topic or two about the game here on this forum.

You spend a lot of time building things in Spore, too.

What you dare to critise Dungeon Keeper?
I only played the first one, But the Humor, the gamefeel.

That was a great and real fun game, the memories
Hit those little imp servants, or your ... to train and become dragons faster :p
Or the Fatty guys or the mistress. I only hated the reaper, real strong but really demanding

Hm, I think I should cram out my old Dungeon Keeper CD ...

I once played the DOS demo, ah the memories ... ;)

What about wood, hammer, nails, and saw?

You can build quite a few neat things using those.

Back
Top Bottom