Arcania - Review Flood #7

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Here's the last batch of Arcania reviews. As always the scores vary quite a bit.
<ul>The guys at TheFinalDungeon are only semi-impressed: "ArcaniA: Gothic 4 is a technically impressive, bug-free game, with above-average graphics and a fun action RPG combat system, but its shallow game world, reliance on fetch quests, and simplified game mechanics make it difficult to recommend. Do yourself a favor and fetch a better game instead." - 6/10
GamersHell says "Gothic games have been bemoaned for their graphical bugs and sloppy code but things are a lot cleaner and tighter this time around. Gone is the open-world of previous titles, replaced by mundane, rote, disappointingly shallow RPG that lives and breathes in an engaging, beautiful, and invitingly realized world. But for an RPG—as in life—just being pretty isn't enough. " - 7.5/10
RoboAwesome - 7/10 (Xbox)
EverythingForGamers recommends Arcania for gamers who liked Fable. - 8.3/10 (probably XBox)
CheatCodeCentral : "Fair" - 3.1/5
FrontTowardsGamer sees some positive stuff and concludes: "I am really torn with my final thoughts about this game. [...] RPG fans may not find this to be the deepest game on the market, but it still has more RPG in it than Mass Effect 2. It might always look the prettiest, but it still looks nicer than the latest Halo game on the Xbox. It’s not the best, but there is far worse games on the market. I have to recommend this game to RPG fans; it’s delightful despite its blemishes." - 7.5/10 The last sentence is a real shocker though: "I will add that I played the game on PC. The Xbox version of this game is utter crap from what I hear." How about confirming this first ?!
Gameroni thinks Arcania is fun and pretty, but quite shallow. - "B"
GameArena rates Arcania for both Gothic fans and western RPG fans. Their verdict is the same: "[...] call it Arcania, call it Gothic 4, it still won’t be worth picking up even when it hits the bargain bin." - 3.5/10
EvilAvatar says the game is pretty good. "So that’s Arcania: Gothic 4. It’s not the best ARPG I’ve played, but it’s probably the best looking, particularly the outside environments. Seeing as Diablo III isn’t going to be released until at least next year, Gothic 4 is a good tide-you-over title for fans of the genre. And honestly, if you’re at the school dance and can’t hook up with the prom queen, there’s no harm in settling for some other good-looking girl who's available, even if she's not too deep or smart or much of a conversationalist. Just hold a hushed finger up to her lips, get comfortable, and enjoy the view." - 3.5/5
SpazioGames.it - 7.0/10
GameCaptain.de - 74%
XBoxDynasty.de - 6.9/10 (Xbox)
GamezCheck.de - 54%
Mega-Gaming.de - 80%
GamesTrust.de - 63%
GameZGeneration.de - 6.5/10
Game-Newz.de - 49% (XBox)
DerStandard.at - "The result can be called a slightly deeper hack & slash game [...]" (transl.)

The one problem I have with these reviews is that probably every one of these sites gave all of the Fable games at least an 8/10 rating when it is worse then Arcania.

German magazine c't also has a tiny review, but I'm too tired right now (here it's late at night) to post it.

Back
Top Bottom