RPGWatch @ Gamescom - Expeditions:Viking

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
It is about time to turn back to our coverage of what I've seen at Gamescom and Expeditions: Viking is the game we continue with. We had this article ready to go just before we became unreachable. Together with the help of Aubrielle, it has been restored into what you can find here.

One of the significant differences between Viking and Conquistador is that you don't draft your crew at the start of the game. A major part of the first campaign is gathering the crew for your ship. As long as you don't have a crew or a ship, your village is under constant attack since it is seen as weak. You can collect crew members from the starting village and from your travels through Denmark. The first two people that join you are your two best friends, which you have known for a long time. One of them is a spear-wielding shield maiden, and the other is a hunter with a bow. The advantage of a spear in the game is that you have a longer reach and you can pass one hex, so you hit someone at a two hex distance. You can even go over the head of standing before you, or over defensive formations. In addition, you don't have any issues with attack of opportunity as that works only for adjacent hexes. You can't dismiss any of your party members during the first campaign, as they are essential to the narrative.
More information.

And here is the Gamescom article for Expeditions: Viking.

I like what I read about Expeditions: Viking - thanks Myrthos!

You got me a little more excited for this one now too.

I don't have anything meaningful to say here.
I'm sold since its announcement.

Lots of RPGs are probably releasing in 2017, but I think this is the one I'm most excited for. I'm so glad that the main character will now participate in battles directly as that was one of my main disappointments with Conquistador. I always felt like a bit of a coward giving orders from behind the bushes while my soldiers risked their lives. :) Also glad to see that their will be attribute stats now and actual equipment / inventory, so it's more of proper CRPG.

Back
Top Bottom