Michael Jackson dead

I'm still somewhat curious as to why anyone cares that a (likely) pedophile is dead.

I'm still somewhat curious as to why anyone cares that a (likely) pedophile is dead.

1st: he wasn not found guilty, so all we have is our own assumptions that, since they come from sensationalist media, and accusations from people who obviously wanted money, we probably won't ever know the truth.
2nd: he has the #1 selling record of all time
3rd: he was the symbol of a whole generation

So yes, I do see why people would care

1st: he wasn not found guilty, so all we have is our own assumptions that, since they come from sensationalist media, and accusations from people who obviously wanted money, we probably won't ever know the truth.

So yes, I do see why people would care

1) OJ was found not guilty either, doesn't change anything - I highly doubt most people would like their kids to spend the night at Neverland ranch, though.
2) And?
3) And?

My point is - why is his death so important that it's going to completely crush American news reporting for the next several days/weeks?

It's like when Anna Nicole Smith died - why is this important? Aren't we fighting wars? And more importantly, now, why are we going to kick the Iranian protesters to the curb?

4th: Everybody else seem to care, and you don't want to go against the mainstream, now would you?

Übereil

RIP Jackson - one of the greatest musical performers ever.

He was the biggest cultural icon in the US since Elvis and Frank Sinatra. 'nuff said.

OJ was found guilty of wrongfully deathing someone - after years of rumours Michael was only prosecuted once and I believe that prosecutor was eventually fired. Doesn't mean he wasn't a freak though - far too spoiled.

But the real question is will he stay dead this time or is this the beginning of another apocalypse?

I just grieve for his poor widow, Lisa Marie.

Also Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon are dead now too so breathe easier every other celebrity.

He was the biggest cultural icon in the US since Elvis and Frank Sinatra. 'nuff said.

OJ was found guilty of wrongfully deathing someone - after years of rumours Michael was only prosecuted once and I believe that prosecutor was eventually fired. Doesn't mean he wasn't a freak though - far too spoiled.

But the real question is will he stay dead this time or is this the beginning of another apocalypse?

I just grieve for his poor widow, Lisa Marie.

Also Farrah Fawcett and Ed McMahon are dead now too so breathe easier every other celebrity.
Don't forget the $20 million dollar settlement he paid out to Jordan Chandler, or the 2 million to Jason Francia.

But my point is: Does he really deserve to take over the news for the next week or two, like Anna Nicole did? No. I'm sorry, but ten minutes on the event, periodic updates, maybe cut to statements from friends and family. The rest is entirely unnecessary. CNN now has twice as many links/stories on Michael Jackson than they do on Iran on the front of their web page. This is pathetic.

RIP Jackson - one of the greatest musical performers ever.

Yes he was a fantastic performer.
But he was not called wacko without reason.
RIP....I doubt it, but thanks again for the great dance music.

I don't care that's he's dead. I care that his death is going to overrun every legitimate news story short of World War Three for the next few days or weeks. I'm not going to lighten up when real news gets pushed aside in favor of this tripe. It's going to be Anna Nicole all over again: "MICHAEL JACKSON: 1958-2009 - Never Forget! The King of Pop! A Life Remembered! Day 2384 of the Michael Jackson Death Saga, Part Three!".

He should get twenty minutes for the actual event, maybe thirty, followed by periodic cutting in to relatives, friends, and contemporaries speaking about it. This is not important news.

Admit it, Rith--you're liike me today: stuck in the house peeved because all your normal cable shows have been pre-empted by Michael and the same six paragraphs of "insight" from the talking heads. I could be watching my leftie shows, dammit!!! Of course, then I'd have to hear about torture, Iran, and Mark Sanford's hot Argentinian Mistress of Love instead, so I guess a few re-runs of Thriller aren't all that bad.

The guy could definitely moonwalk. :)

Admit it, Rith--you're liike me today: stuck in the house peeved because all your normal cable shows have been pre-empted by Michael and the same six paragraphs of "insight" from the talking heads. I could be watching my leftie shows, dammit!!! Of course, then I'd have to hear about torture, Iran, and Mark Sanford's hot Argentinian Mistress of Love instead, so I guess a few re-runs of Thriller aren't all that bad.

The guy could definitely moonwalk. :)

Partially. I take an extremely dim view of pedophiles, though (and yes, "alleged", but I think settlements in the millions of dollars means there is far more than just idle talk). Maybe it's because Neverland ranch was located relatively close to where I lived, but it was pretty common knowledge in my town that he was freakish, weird, and not someone you'd ask to watch your children.

you're a likely pedophile and not even a great musician yet you somehow feel people want to listen to you. Bring on billy jean and get this clown outta here.

Drop the total bullshit pedo lies, he was a killer musician from the age of 5 and thats it.

I've been a fan of Michael Jackson's ever since I was ten, and I'm sad today. He was very talented and, I think, very misunderstood.

I never owned any of his records, but you have to respect somebody that managed to make a record like 'Thriller.' My younger sister and her friends listened to that record ad-nauseum. He had an 'in-house' doctor and I bet that guy was the one administering the demoral that he overdosed on.

you're a likely pedophile and not even a great musician yet you somehow feel people want to listen to you. Bring on billy jean and get this clown outta here.

Drop the total bullshit pedo lies, he was a killer musician from the age of 5 and thats it.

And you're a pathetic scumbag who I hope dies a horrible painful death. Go slit your wrists and die in a fire you ignorant little fuckwit.

That's matching minors for unsportsmanlike conduct, gents. Off to the penalty box for a couple minutes and y'all can get yer composure back.

Anyhoo...

OK, please stop before one of you gets banned ... and at this point you deserve a slap down.

There is no disputing Jackson's impact ... or his troubled life and controversy.

This thread should be for those who have something to say about that ... not about each other. I think both are legit targets, especially since this *will* dominate the news for a while.

Back
Top Bottom