Divinity: Original Sin versus 2010 Laptop

Think there will be an orgy of rig regcommendations around christmas when everybody upgrades for The Witcher 3. ;)
So true and usually very persuausive ads to buy something noone wants. :evilgrin:

Thanks for the offer. I doubt I'll do it, I'm an old-fashioned use-it-till-it's-dead kinda guy rather than a yearly upgrader, but I never refuse a peek.

Also, someone else might find the info useful :)
Assuming you need just everything, here goes (nothing):
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HjZ3gs

Of course, if you do have a working keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor, etc - you won't buy those! Just by removing that monitor if you have an older one will lower the total by $300.
Partpicker doesn't have two things (at the bottom) but I have exactly those models and payed about $25 for each one.

Keep in mind this is NOT the best possible option and you don't have to use exactly what's listed for example I've put the cheapest case listed on partpicker, it's still not the cheapest possible.
You can drop 8Gb RAM and buy just 4Gb, and instead "enhance" it with 80Gb SSD.

Didn't add OS because dunno would you want win7 or win8(.1) nor if you have it already. Also didn't add headphones because if you don't have them already, you'll get some crappy ones included with a smartphone.

Last edited:
Also didn't add headphones because if you don't have them already, you'll get some crappy ones included with a smartphone.

Wow, I thought I was the only one that went the lazy route :biggrin:

I love audio but I consider it a gift I can barely discern the difference between good and great headphones. And I love that fact that I can scrunch them up in my pocket when I'm gaming with my IPad or laptop when I'm on the go.

OTOH, my lack of audio sophistication really annoys my daughter.

But back to topic - My 2010 sony vaio has a Nvidia chip so it looks like my laptop rig might work. I hope so because I got to take my daughter back to college and I'll be on the road for a few days (back and forth), and I'm totally into the game. However, the whole re-down loading the game and then looking for the save game directory and moving some of my save files from my desktop to the laptop just gets me so tired. I'm gonna take a nap now.

Wait a moment.

The whole idea is that we're not all filthy rich (or as politically correct sites say: enthusiasts) to buy the most expensive stuff out there.
But even with some average paycheck, a person can have a problem to buy mid-range stuff. Imagine a situation your washing machine, fridge and boyler died at the same time and you just wanted to buy a new PC.

The solution? Do low end where it doesn't matter (aka things that you'll upgrade when you get some more cash) and mid where it does matter (aka things that will last like monitor I've added as it'll stay with you even when you buy the next machine / upgrade).

I have three pairs of headphones.
- iPhone crap I practically never used but got for free with the bloody phone
- creative fatal1ty (with mic and cord) I use like crazy for everything
- sennheiser RS 120 II (no mic, wireless) for latenight TV and music

Assuming you currently can't afford much things, why on earth would you spend a dime on headphones at all? You just won't!

And what game redownloading? Use Steam backup/restore option.
You have USB external HDD/flashkey already, right? I mean, today everyone has one. If you don't have one, grab some 16Gb USB stick, those are cheap and good enough for just about everything.
Yea, I know, you won't be able to backup new Wolfstein on it. But honestly, why would someone backup and replay that game at all? ;)

What I forgot to add, when short on cash, think about buying some things from - China.
"Outware" only! Means, CPU, GPU, PSU, mobo and case buy in a proper shop. Keyboard, mouse, speakers, headphones, USB gadgets go get for cheap from China.

You may find not bad stuff on dx.com and aliexpress.com. Keep in mind it's cheap because it's of low quality, but temporarily will do. For example speakers. Buy some set of speakers vulgaris from China, forget having an awsome sound from those, but eventually you'll buy better ones in a proper shop and then sell this "crap" on ebay, just not today.

Sony vaio? Any more hint about it? I'm having a hard time to pinpoint which one that is.

Last edited:
I recently discovered banggood.com. seems also reliable

BTW you can have my 120 GB ssd for 20 euro if you like

Me? No thanks. I have 240Gb one already and am not planning to buy another SSD yet. Not even for a buck.
The plan is to buy another SSD when win9 arrives so I can install it on that new one. Smaller one. Max 64-80Gb, dunno how much space will new OS require. 120 would be too much and not rational.

Dunno about banggod, never seen it before, but I did order stuff from those two sites I've mentioned above, no scam detected. :)

I guess a USB graphics card doesn't exist ? At least a decent one for gaming

USB interface can't provide enough data bus for the graphic card, but Apple and Intel developed a system for that which called Thunderbolt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

On this system you can use your laptop with an onboard graphic card. When you want to play a game, you connect an external card to the system and enjoy your game.

I don't know why this technology hasn't been adopted yet by main notebook manufacturers.

I know.
Apple = too expensive, too aggressive, you also need to pay lawyers just to be sure

In other words everyone wants to see an alternative first. Not that it'll definetly end like firewire vs USB "war" where USB won the market although being inferior, but noone wants to risk with monopolists and licensing horrors.

EDIT:
Found appropriate article about it:
http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/30/opinion-is-thunderbolt-doomed-to-be-the-new-firewire/
we all know that technological superiority is no guarantee of commercial success. The mass-market went with USB. Partly because consumers buy numbers without necessarily knowing what they mean, but mostly because it was cheaper.
Thunderbolt currently looks to be heading the same way. That wasn’t the plan. Intel intended it to be the new USB. Optical thunderbolt was supposed to take over from copper, and there was supposed to be a Thunderbolt port in every PC. Neither has happened.

The reason is USB 3. It’s not as good. It’s not as fast. But it’s cheap and it’s familiar. You can virtually count on one hand the number of Windows PCs out there with a Thunderbolt port. I think it’s no exaggeration to say that without Apple, Thunderbolt would already be dead.

Last edited:
There are also DIY enthusiast solutions which use the express card slot, but it is still bottlenecked.

Not worth it. Buy a desktop PC, even an amd apu if your budget is very low

Wait a moment.
(some stuff)
Sony vaio? Any more hint about it? I'm having a hard time to pinpoint which one that is.

2009 Sony Vaio CW Notebook - about 800 bucks at the time.
processesor is an Intel duo Core 6600
(the minimum to run Divinity according to Steam)
graphics G210M
(web says the desktop equivalent ranges from 8600-9600 - but Nvidia says it can play Sims 3)
4 gigs of ram
model number VPCCW17FX/W

Still runs great, but I have now supplemented my IPad Air for my mobile gaming and travel partner, But I miss having the DVD.

Back
Top Bottom