Gay marriage gets complicated

That one surprised me, too, magerette. I thought it was you lefties that liked to legislate from the bench. ;)

Current date is according to my calendar and dateformat: 16.10.09.

That was before that article brought time back 100 years.

It feels like a hundred years! One hundred years! A hundred years! One hundred years!

Übereil

Put me on the "legal and religious marriages should be different things" bandwagon. Let the states worry about taxes, child custody, and visitation rights, then make the laws according to how that works. Leave worrying about the implications of Higher Powers to the churches. Demanding that the political version of marriage match all the religious views is downright impossible, why do we keep trying to do it?

"Perhaps he's worried the kids will grow up and be president..."
ROFL!

If you don't want legal conditions in your relationship, there's already an alternative—don't get married. :p

It's a good thing 'Common Law Marriage' has gone the way of the Dodo. Whether you were married or not after 7 years of living together then YOU'RE MARRIED. :D

I thought for sure that law was still around in California or something similar.

I believe common law marriage is on the books in most, if not all, states.

Yes to gay marriage!
As a gay myself, yes is the only option I consider. :)

It sounds weird, but I don't consider it a gay issue, or a gay marriage issue.

I consider it a human rights issue, as it goes far beyond marriage, IMO. A class of human beings are being denied their human (as well as legal/constitutional) rights. This is Not A Good Thing™.

It's a good thing 'Common Law Marriage' has gone the way of the Dodo. Whether you were married or not after 7 years of living together then YOU'RE MARRIED. :D

I thought for sure that law was still around in California or something similar.

I'm glad it’s not this way here.

Early this year, there was a famous case about a woman who had children with a billionaire and who tried changing the law so she could get the benefits of marriage (i.e. a huge pension for herself). She lost but she made appeal… We shall see but basically everyone say she has no chance.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...gainst+Quebec+billionaire/1897595/story.html#

Back
Top Bottom