Skyrim - Videos and Previews

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A small roundup of Skyrim stuff.
First, G4TV has 11 minutes of new footage with two editors talking through some of their experiences from the recent 3-hour preview. Check out the spell at 1:16 that allows them to leap off a cliff, for example.
They also have this shorter video preview, with a combination of old and new footage, including some interface and conversation snippets. Thanks to CountChocula for both of these.
PC Gamer has an article about the Radiant Story system, which apparently ruined Todd Howard's in-game wedding night. It all sounds a bit like the setting-the-dog-on-fire from Oblivion previews, but - hey - who knows?
“I had decided to marry this one woman who was my friend,” Howard begins. “I forgot that I had done this Radiant quest for this other guy, who turns out he had liked her…”
Head over for the rest of the story.
Also at PC Gamer is lessons Skyrim has learned from Fallout 3:
Lesson one, Oblivion’s progressions system, which had creatures levelling at the same rate as the player, has been overhauled. “[Skyrim]’s a lot more like Fallout 3, where as you level up you are going to see harder things, but the easier things stay around as well.” says Howard.
There will still be combat where it’s tougher, but these battles will be against a new or uniquely named enemy, putting an end to the boring battle-churn that dominated the later levels of Oblivion. “You’ll still run into the weaker stuff and you’ll just decimate it,” says Howard. Bad luck, mud crabs.
...and another about vigilante chickens:
PC Gamer: “Can you think of anything you’ve seen Radiant Story do that’s surprised you?”
Todd Howard: Let’s see… something that was good lately… but this was a bug – lately we realised that chickens were reporting crimes. I found that very funny. That was just last week: “Why are we getting caught?” “Oh, the CHICKENS are reporting the crimes!”
The PC Gamer articles also have videos, so footage galore.
More information.

At first I thought those G4TV console playing video reviewers were on crack, when they acted surprised Oblivion had cooking. Then I realized, maybe I was thinking of all the other games like all Gothics, Risen and Arx. They all do have cooking as long ago as 10 years, with Gothic. Betting cooking like Potion making was added to Oblivion as a mod, if the game didn't have it, been so long I've forgotten.

Still they made me laugh, as they didn't KNOW or mention the huge modding possibilities on the PC. Maybe they are not allowed to mention how much better the PC is due to modding, to keep console sales up.

Still they made me laugh, as they didn't KNOW or mention the huge modding possibilities on the PC. Maybe they are not allowed to mention how much better the PC is due to modding, to keep console sales up.

Well one of them did mention that even though they almost always play on console that they would probably be playing this on the PC. He didn't mention modding but did say he thought a keyboard would better be able to take advantage of the new menu system.

Wonder how long ago the PC Gamer interview was, chickens reporting crimes just 3 weeks away from the release date?

Weren't they boasting about having revamped their bug testing systems for skyrim?

Wonder how long ago the PC Gamer interview was, chickens reporting crimes just 3 weeks away from the release date?

Weren't they boasting about having revamped their bug testing systems for skyrim?

The interview was posted october 5th. In the introduction to the article, it is mentioned that the actual interview took place weeks before it was written. The incident with the chicken was nailed down the week prior to that. Conservatively that puts it at least 2 months before release date.

The chicken goof was a couple months ago, at least. I'm sure there will be plenty of bugs to go around anyway. No matter how good the bug testing, 50 thousand people with 5 thousand different pc configs are going to have bugs, especially in a 300 hour game. Skyrim could have 5 times as many bugs as a normal game, because it's 5 times larger. The whiners don't get that. If they made a nice 30 hour game, it might be bug free.

I do like the idea of modding in chicken guards complete with either Daggerfall or Oblivion guard voices. A horde of chickens chasing after you shouting "Halt!" would be very amusing.

I wasn't paying attention to them, because I was in a state of shock from how good the game looks!

This vid has convinced me that they pulled it off in a big way. I think people are going to be sh$t themselves when they boot any version of Skyrim up.

Bethesda has a lot of experience making these games and put in more than three years of development into Skyrim. Skyrim will be everthing Bethesda promised!

I don't know, chicken guards might be funnier with something like Barney Fife from Andy Griffin or maybe something from Monty Python or Benny Hill. ;)

That chickens thing would very well fit into a game like Grotesque ! :lol:

My concern from the first G4 video, whats with all the lag in some of the footage and is that the console version doing that, or are they running it on a really crappy PC!?

Knowing G4 though, they almost always preview/review the console versions and tend to ignore the PC for most games. And I don't care if thats the console ver as I'll be playing it on my $4000 custom built PC{and won't have those issues}, but thats pretty bad if its the console doing that!~

The lag is probably caused by the super magic compression technology they have implemented :D :D ( don't take the post too seriously )

My concern from the first G4 video, whats with all the lag in some of the footage and is that the console version doing that, or are they running it on a really crappy PC!?

Knowing G4 though, they almost always preview/review the console versions and tend to ignore the PC for most games. And I don't care if thats the console ver as I'll be playing it on my $4000 custom built PC{and won't have those issues}, but thats pretty bad if its the console doing that!~

Console version. AFAIK there are no PC version videos out there yet. If someone has info on that please point me out confirmed PC videos of skyrim.

What I find amusing in the skyrim press media is that most recent articles on the web about skyrim all use the same (or mostly the same) little pieces of in-game video.

Clearly shows that bethesda sent thos little pieces of videos and then all (or most) websites use them, pinched together in diferent articles. In the end, we've seen the same videos over and over again, but inserted in diferent articles.

I'm pretty sure the game will be totaly worth the money, but i can't help but be worried about the PC version. They have put way too much mystery in it… no press demos on it, no in-game footage of it (that i know of), and very little details about the system requirements besides "we use very good texture compression!" and "we like DX9 thanks". (yes i know DX11 is moot point).

Sounds very fishy, perhaps i'm just being paranoid, wich i realy hope so. But, just on the safe side, i won't be buying the game on launch day for my PC ;) eh eh. Gonna wait for a few forum reviews on the PC first.

Anybody else getting a strong "13th Warrior" vibe from some of those shots... I know 13th Warrior is a pretty low-brow movie overall and that the Nords ARE essentially Bethsoft's version of the Vikings, but it seems like a few of their artists were influenced by the looks of the buildings and people in that movie. I was afraid they'd just try to do a LoTR "Meduseld/Rohan" thing. I'm pleasantly surprised to see them come up with something a bit more unique looking. In that youtube compilation video, there's a landscape shot near the end that looks like a painting.

Anybody else getting a strong "13th Warrior" vibe from some of those shots… I know 13th Warrior is a pretty low-brow movie overall and that the Nords ARE essentially Bethsoft's version of the Vikings, but it seems like a few of their artists were influenced by the looks of the buildings and people in that movie. I was afraid they'd just try to do a LoTR "Meduseld/Rohan" thing. I'm pleasantly surprised to see them come up with something a bit more unique looking. In that youtube compilation video, there's a landscape shot near the end that looks like a painting.

Yes, Concept Artist Ray Lederer mentioned today in a podcast that they were going for "Lets make it a little less Ren-Fest and a little more Motorhead concert / Biker bar."

And keep in mind, Buliwyf (Vladimir Kullich) is Ulfric Stormcloak, the Jarl of Windhelm and leader of the rebellion.

I have avoided to much exposure as I am pretty hyped for this game and wanted to limit any spoilage. But I did watch the video as I really wanted to see some of the content. I was suitably impressed to say the least. Course I love Viking/Norse culture and history so this whole theme is totally up my ally. Loved the cities especially, and the character design for the Nords. I really liked what I saw in the clip.

To get to the darker side?

Back
Top Bottom