The Division - Claims to be an RPG

Who are you talking about? There are different groups of players and different generations. This decline was done mainly because of action gamers who were attacted to the genre, initially by old hack & slash games (ARPGs). And first game that did this was Diablo. I noticed that personally in group of my friends and fellow students. For some people it was/is "the best RPG ever". For them RPG is loot, killing monsters and some skills, nothing more. Definitely not for fans of old school RPGs and dungeons.

Please, don't get Cheinaboyeur started on there is no role playing in role playing games, PLEASE.;)

Who are you talking about? There are different groups of players and different generations. This decline was done mainly because of action gamers who were attacted to the genre, initially by old hack & slash games (ARPGs). And first game that did this was Diablo. I noticed that personally in group of my friends and fellow students. For some people it was/is "the best RPG ever". For them RPG is loot, killing monsters and some skills, nothing more. Definitely not for fans of old school RPGs and dungeons.

Who about? Players who made the current situation possible. Who else? Yes, there are different groups of players and it means nothing. Some matter more than the others and those who matter more dictate their will.

The Division is a RPG. Developpers did not make things up. They are following the trend that players use to tell that a game is a RPG or is not.
It happens their game fits the trend. This game will pass things like the final (?) definition of a RPG.
If it fits the definition of a RPG, it is by definition a RPG.

It is no PR stunt. It is the report of the actual quality/genre of the game: game is a RPG because of the way players came to decide what make games RPGs.

The game fits the bill so there is no reason now the requirements to make a game a RPG were changed to claim the game does not fit the bill.

The division is not a RPG, it is a third person tactical shooter.

(RPG survival elements) - the water cannot be drank, the food cannot be eaten, they will be used as currency.

There will be no character generation, Character improvement will be to use better gear.

There will be a time-out start of about 72 hours to find loot. The gamer will always connect to the internet to start the game.

Rydby suggests :-
Moving throughout the world, it's going to be a lot about looting and acquiring new gear as you progress.

This does not in any way make the shooter into a RPG. I have found nothing yet that indicates the game will be an RPG - unless more definite RPG core element associates are added as development continues.

There might be one argument in that list. All the other things are well... Water, food that cant be eaten or drunk, seriously? I dont know. In all cases, if you cant eat or drink in a game, it is not RPG. I'll remember that.

The only argument: character creation.

From the wikia:
Character CreationEdit
Character creation will be a big part of Tom Clancy's The Division.

http://thedivision.wikia.com/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_The_Division

Back
Top Bottom