Overfall - Game Writing Style Guide

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Chris Avellone has published the game writing style guide for Overfall - an interesting read.

From the Kickstarter page:

[...] One day - Yagiz introduced us to (as you see them both in our credits now) one of the most prominent game designers and writers of our era, Chris Avellone himself, who you will remember from Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale series, Baldur’s Gate, Fallout: New Vegas, FTL and many others. We came up with the idea of having a Game Writing Style Guide, which would explain the basics of creating a story in Overfall, give some ideas on how to write a good story, and outline Overfall’s writing style with a couple of examples. And we already were in touch with the best person for writing this kind of guide, not only because he’s a great writer with worlds of experience, but also because he’s great mentor material. Thankfully Chris was happy to work on it and thought laying out one might be helpful for both Overfall and for any budding game writers out there. Now our plan is to finish and release the story builder along with the game, and to write more stories in the light of the Game Writing Style Guide.
More information.

I backed this and quite honestly wasn't expecting much story in this game. Avellone also wrote on FTL, though, and I find the story bits there acceptable, but the story never really drew me in. I've yet to find a roguelike where I thought the story really stuck out.

I can count the games I've seen with a well-written story on one hand.

;TLDR

The Krondor(sp?) game set in Raymond Feist's world is the only game I can remember being very well written. A few other games are okay. TES has great lore but horrible dialogue and PST was a nice read but a very dull game outside of the virtual novel bits.
I haven't played GoT or LoTR, but the good writing was already there for the game, just like in Feist's work.

Back
Top Bottom