Skyrim Skyrim, same old same old?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
I'm really kinda tired of the same schools and spells in TES. This is a series that truly needs to shake things up a bit. I'm not sure the "Dragon Shouts" are going to be enough to compensate for the fact that the last 2 games have had nearly identical spells and skills. Perhaps adding perks will be enough, but I'm not sure. While I loved both Morrowind and Oblivion, I've played those games and don't need to play them again with just a different set of terrain.

We already know that they've dropped mysticism and blended it into the other schools, but are we really going to have the same exact spells that have been in the last two games? Dragons have been done by everybody, so there's really no innovation in adding them to the series. Much of the current press has focused on what it looks like, what it sounds like, etc, but I'm really more interested in how it plays differently than its predecessors.

Correct me if I'm wrong....but isn't their a spell maker in both morrowind and oblivion? To me that is one of the major things the game got right. Hell no other game comes close to letting you make spells like that.

I think the character system will be fine. A much bigger concern for me is the game world. Bethesda really needs to put more effort into the dungeons and loot this time.

What they really need is more hand-placed items in the game, and more unique individual enemies as well. I don't want the completely random feel that permeated Oblivion.

They need to make the game world smaller and fill it with more details, interesting stories and unique things to explore. But as long as the "bigger is better" attitude prevails I have very little hope for that.

Woo I can't believe I feel roughly agree with crpgnut, JDR13, and Roi Danton, in a same thread, chocking.

Thanks rune_74 save my day, well not really I already debate too much about this point, and don't want do it once more.

I feel some good idea should be found for the fights. I do agree Oblivion slightly improved the fight system, but not at all fights themselves and it's not a matter of level scaling. I feel it not good for the mood that only magic get the diversity. DKS setup a good base of design orientation that can be expanded a lot in my opinion (but without the auto targeting). And borrow some idea to games like Torchlight to transform them for a system like in DKS. That would refresh my interest to non party fights, well if fights are also designed and not just a random pack of monsters thrown somewhere.

The perks should allow much better character uniqueness and the three skills they are dropping were not all that important really. Do we need 5 different magical schools in a game like this? Do wee need mercantile and persuasion to be different? I personally am not that worried about character creation.

As someone else said the real worry is the world.

apparently they got the guy who did dark messiahs combat to do the combat in oblivion. so at least if skyrim is bad everywhere else, it be decent in the combat

apparently

I'm just talking stock spells, Rune. I'm a big fan of the spell-maker, but you can still only blend combinations of vanilla effects. There were mods that far outstripped what vanilla Oblivion offered and I'm really hoping to see more variety in the spell offerings this time. I'm almost always play mages in games, so I've done the Morrowind/Oblivion offerings to death and would like something new to play with.

Well considering that everything in Oblivion devolved from Morrowind with the exception of your ability to choose what color eyeliner and make sure your shoes matched your knapsack, I'm sure that Skyrim will begin with a 4 hour fashion simulator and that hair accessorizing will be one of the few perks left, and combat will be replaced by a single blue-tooth accessory that will ship with the game and will look like this:

easy_button.jpg

:D yes, I'm joking around ... :)

I'm just talking stock spells, Rune. I'm a big fan of the spell-maker, but you can still only blend combinations of vanilla effects. There were mods that far outstripped what vanilla Oblivion offered and I'm really hoping to see more variety in the spell offerings this time. I'm almost always play mages in games, so I've done the Morrowind/Oblivion offerings to death and would like something new to play with.

Ahh ok, to be honest I rarely bought the stock spells and made the spells I wanted with the maker.

@TXA don't forget about the awesome button. All RPGs nowadays need the awesome button or how do the players know that they are doing something awesome. ;)

I think the shouts will be only used when fighting dragons so if you are a stealth guy you will not really need to learn any.
I am not a big fun of magic , i just hope i will be able to cast "burden" on flying things

I just hope I don't have to jump like a maniac everywhere I go to increase my jump skill...

I think the character system will be fine. A much bigger concern for me is the game world. Bethesda really needs to put more effort into the dungeons and loot this time.

What they really need is more hand-placed items in the game, and more unique individual enemies as well. I don't want the completely random feel that permeated Oblivion.

I agree with what you wrote and would just like to add that there should also be interesting things in out of the way places. Dragon Knight Saga did well in this area with little puzzles, buttons, levers and whatnot that would reveal hidden things.

I just hope I don't have to jump like a maniac everywhere I go to increase my jump skill…

Wait - don't you know that jumping everywhere with matching armor and lipstick with a nice hairband is Bethesda's definition of 'role playing'? :D

@rune_74 Umm, to use the spellmaker you already had to have a spell with the effect you wished to use. You can't make spellmaker spells without stock spells. I think you're going to have to play Oblivion again :) It's true that once you have one type of a spell, you don't need the rest, which is what I'm guessing you meant. I'm just messing with ya.

I'd love to see levitation and fly make a return. Along with Mark and Recall and Passwall. I doubt we'll see any of those, perhaps Mark and Recall. Bethesda takes those two out every game and the community mods them back in on day one.

@rune_74 Umm, to use the spellmaker you already had to have a spell with the effect you wished to use. You can't make spellmaker spells without stock spells. I think you're going to have to play Oblivion again :) It's true that once you have one type of a spell, you don't need the rest, which is what I'm guessing you meant. I'm just messing with ya.

I'd love to see levitation and fly make a return. Along with Mark and Recall and Passwall. I doubt we'll see any of those, perhaps Mark and Recall. Bethesda takes those two out every game and the community mods them back in on day one.

Yeah, been awhile....been busy with MM7 right now.

Whats funny is we are having this conversation and you look back at the classics and they were even more guilty of more of the same MM is esecially. I'm thinking we need a modern day MM.

+1 to MM10!

I'd love to see Ubisoft give up this license to Obsidian :) I've liked how they breathed new life into several different games and I think they'd succeed with M&M too.

I'm not sure who else would do their best to revive the old classic....

Back
Top Bottom