iPhone convert here - anyone else?

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
I havent had any interest in the iPhone, I generally dont like current trends or things that are all the rage outside of games. Not trying to be a rebel here or qualify myself as truly kult or anything, it's just that a lot of popular bs is just that - BS. It's too expensive for one, and rarely delivers. Give me a copy of Dracula's Fiancee and I'm happy, it's just the way I am.

But I have to say, after giving in to my fiancee showing hers off and breaking down and getting an iPhone myself (3G ones (8gb) are 100$ right now), I'm in love w/ this product. I wouldnt have stood in line or anything, but now that I got one, I definitely see what all the fuss was about. The GPS rocks, any time I can pinpoint exactly where I am on a map, and even get directions anywhere. I'm surfing the net, chatting, reading and making posts on this site, I have all my emails on it. Importing tons of music onto it. The apps like random restaurant location apps (urban spoon) are golden, we're always looking for new places to eat. I havent even gotten into the games yet, I'm scared that I may lock a door and never come out. Ive had it a week and im wondering "how did i ever live without this thing??"

My brother's like "isnt that what you have a laptop for?" Sure, but a laptop doesnt fit in your pocket. My only real gripe so far is the camera, for such a state of the art thing to have a zoomless camera in this day and age is a mind boggler when every crappy cell phone on the market today can zoom. And iTunes is a process nightmare, there's so much crap going on w/ that thing that I have it installed on a spare laptop, unfortunately you cant really get around using iTunes.

Anyone else on the bandwagon??
Got any apps you want to recommend or warn against?? I bought a "zoom" app for the thing, and it didnt work, so I got burned on that one. Never buy an app without readin reviews!

My cousin was here a couple of days ago and he had an iPod Touch and I had the chance to experience it a bit.
Contrary to you I was in the whole fuss about it but unfortunately I can't afford it.
I loved this gadget since the 1st Apple vids and I've read countless articles about it.
Some games look as good as on a PSP and there are enough puzzle toys to play till you get old.
I've tried Assassin's Creed and the new Terminator and they both rocked.(Avoid Mass Effect)
There are enough silly apps like making coffee by shaking it and fishing so you shouldn't buy every single app you see.
The biggest drawback is the absence of multitasking and IMO that's the only thing WIN phones got on the iPhone.
While it's neither a computer nor the most productive phone you can get , it certainly is one of the best gadgets I've tried.

Oh and IMHO everyone who bash it just haven't experienced it.

My favorite app so far is IM 3.0 cause I'm an IM junkie :D

Last edited:
Yeah, much the same for me.

I actually intentionally avoided it for a while, because of the hype. Got a Windows Mobile phone (AT&T Tilt) and it was just so clunky. The web browser was terrible. When my daughter needed a phone because she started driving, I gave her mine and used her "new phone" credit to get an iPhone 3G.

I love my phone. I use the mobile web all the time. My wife and eldest daughter both have iPod Touches, and the amount of time we use these devices is embarrassing really.

They nailed it, for me.

I'm probably not the target market, though. I've never bought a single app or song from iTunes. Loaded about 10GB of classical music on it, and have never looked back.

I've avoided purchasing games for the same reason. Looked longingly at Need for Speed and some of the RPGs (introduced to from the articles on this site) but have been strong so far.

I still don't have a cell phone. I still don't want any. Gadgets from hell.

Same here, Sammy. I avoided it because of the hype. I had Verizon and intended to buy the blackberry storm but it would have cost me 100 more than an iPhone and an extra 40/month more than what I pay for the iPhone.

I've generally been Apple/MS neutral but I have to say that the iPhone is a masterpiece. I imagine it's what MS wanted to do with PDAs, Tablet PCs and then Windows Mobile phones.

The app that blows my mind is MLB At Bat. You can listen to live games and with the latest update you can even WATCH live games. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet since I've been playing sailor... But, I fully intended on being in a remote location and watching a Twins game just to say I did. :D

Sadly I have to say that with the 3GS out the 3G is a bad value ... the 3GS is like an iPod mixed with a top notch smartphone mixed with a good camera mixed with something as good as a Flip Video HD video cam ...

the apps that I'm running right now =
previosly described Urban Spoon - random restaurants in the area, way cool
Ocarina - play your phone like an instrument, blow in the speaker and use touch buttons. Meh, it's fun to mess around w/
ImagePro - application to view and save images from image searches like a google image search, it's pretty cool, adds some more image functionality to the thing.
PuzzleQuest Free - basically the puzzle quest demo I think, not done w/ it yet (there's also the rest of puzzle quest in pieces you can buy). It's puzzle quest tho, in all it's addictive glory.
Dynamic Dice - all manner of d&d dice roller, you pick how many of what type and roll away - awesome, awesome application imho.
Hero of Sparta - some action thing, run around whacking things in surprisingly good 3d, really nice lookin game.
Rip-offs:
got ripped off not once, but twice w/ bad progs that didnt work for shit-
Camera zoom - forgot what it's called since i deleted it already. If youre gonna buy a zoom app, read the reviews plz.
Compass app - again forgot what it's called since i deleted it already. Again, didnt read the reviews and it was 99 cents. Thank glot it was only that. Worthless

On my list to get pretty soon is The Quest - 3D fantasy rpg -looks really cool and old school rpg

Last edited:
I was about to get one a few months ago but I resisted, which I'm glad for since I now have a HTC Hero that I'm typing this from and I'm very happy with it so far (which means a couple of hours :p).

Everything runs smooth and Android feels extremely promising, the only downside is that we're not able to buy apps through the Android market here yet. But it'll come.

Back
Top Bottom