Lords of Xulima - Preview @ Cliqist

Rune, I haven't seen you in a long time. Welcome back! I think Lords of Xulima is right up your alley. Don't tackle the guards until level 3 and make sure to be blessed by the town priestess before you take them. Instead, talk to the first guy inside the gates. He acts as a job board. He'll give you the quintessential first task of cleaning up a rat infested cave. You can play about 50% of this game in the early access and that will take you to level 22 or so. You can get more hours out of the EA than most games even have in total :)

I'd suggest taking two mages, other than that play how you like. Mages are kinda squishy but deal more damage than the other classes combined. They need their meat shields so they can hide in back though. If you want to have everything, you'd probably go Cleric, Thief and a warrior type up there with the mandatory Explorer. Two mages aren't absolutely mandatory and a Bard is a good backup plan. Place him in the middle of the back row and his songs will motivate the whole party :)

Thanks:) I was gone on deployment for 9 months with the navy...back and alive now:p

I kickstarted this and I'm glad I did....it is right up my alley...I'm kind of waiting for it to be done as to not ruin it for me...I may get to it...however so many games on back log...starting to get into wasteland 2 right now too.

Alive is a good thing. Waiting is fine for this game as there is one class that isn't in the game yet, a summoner. He will replace the explorer as a class choice as an explorer is the protagonist and has to be in the party. That class is being implemented in the next couple days and then they're going to be polishing it up for an expected October release. I'm going to try and cram Wasteland 2 in before Xulima too, but I'm pretty addicted to the beta.

Welcome back Rune! I was worried you left because of all the flak towards SotA. ;)

I agree with Couch, 2 mages is a must. And if you pick a Thief I would go with swords instead of daggers if I started over. A cleric is a must too I believe.

I'm playing without a cleric with my current group and it is doable at low levels. We'll see how bad I miss the cleric once status effects start hitting us. It could be I'll be running out of money because of the need to buy potions.

Playing without a Cleric on the harder difficulties will be a slap in the face. Some enemies will throw 8 or more stacks per attack. The bleed damage ramps up very quickly against the yellow raptors.

I suppose you COULD use items and potions to replace the cleric, but then the funds would run out pretty fast. This is on Veteran, on normal I would guess it's perfectly doable since you get so much more HP. But I hardly use any potions or items and all, I sell most of it. I think the Cleric is a no-brainer. I'm having second thoughts about the thief though, maybe you can get away with a cleric at the front line, and 3 mages or 2 mages and a Divine summoner in the back (The other fronts would be the explorer and a warrior class, I'm playing with the Barbarian and he's pretty good, but I haven't tried the other warrior classes.

I'm surprised to see so many people playing it on Veteran difficultly. I heard the game was quite challenging even on Normal.

That happens when the lowest difficulty is normal...then I pick veteran. Stupid maybe, but in this game I think it was the right choice.

I'm playing on normal and so far difficulty is ok. I definitely wouldn't want it to be more easy.

I wonder about the 2 empty spots in the party. Are they for tactical reasons only or for summons or will you be able to recruit NPC?

Ok, thanks.

I fondly remember the days when you had to have a healer in your party...I'm not sure why you wouldn't want a cleric?

You Do want a cleric. I'm purposely messing with sub-optimal builds. The ideal party is some type of warrior, thief, cleric, and 2 mages.

What's happening with this game wasn't the final version already supposed to be released? Not more delays...

The devs are extremely communicative and also provided a detailed timeline. There was never a definite release date.
23-24 September
Next big update, Version 0.14. It will include a New Class: Divine Summoner, as well as some cool new skills for current classes (including the Thief and Barbarian).

October, 1st week
The next major content update will be Version 0.16. It will open up to 80% of the game, which means everything other than the Titans Chapter and the Temples of the Elemental Gods will be playable.

October, 3rd week
Version 0.18: All content available except for the ending (which means the final challenges the players will face, as well as the 8 minute-long epilogue cutscene). Also included with this update will be new voices for important NPCs such as the Princes, Heralds, Titans and Witches, so as to give them a bit more 'personality'. Last but not least, we hope to enable the French and German localizations of Lords of Xulima around that time.

Official Launch (Tentative November)
It will include the ending and will be fully compatible with MAC and Linux.
Editions for the game will be made available, including the Artifact of Golot edition and Deluxe editions.

Yes there was, it was September. They've not made any Kickstarter update for a month either

This is probably my game of the year.

Well, what I call a definite release is "21st of september".
If anyone says "we will release in Month X", it mostly means that they wont. ^^

In any case: I am glad they take their time.

I'm sad that this game will likely be overlooked. This is a great game considering how little they were able to make in their campaigns. This is an extremely solid game but several corners were cut to meet the lack of a budget. Towns are static, most monsters are like Might and Magic; there are several that are the same exact model but with a different appellation. Think Goblin, Goblin Lord and Hobgoblin in MM7 and you're on the right track. Still, what they've made with what they had is amazing and worth the asking price. Don't let this game pass you by and please pay full price so I can play Xulima II :D

Back
Top Bottom